Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The stock SV turn signals are a bit of an eye sore and given the number of options out there I decided to do something about them.

Here's what it looked like at the start of the project.

So a while ago I bought some Track 77 turn signals second hand. When I got them they were in pretty bad shape so I decided that I was going to give them a little refresh.

Here you can see them as I got them taped up ready to sand off the existing paint. Pretty sorry shape.

I finished sanding them and I almost thought about leaving them with a brushed finish and just clear coating them, but I couldn't get the finish quite how I wanted it so I decided to paint them.

Here they are with a few coats of primer. I actually baked the primer and the top coats on in the oven @ 175F for about 40 mins (both primer and top coats) with wet sanding in between to smooth out any imperfections. I went with a semigloss black from Rustoleum. Seemed to be fairly durable.

I think they turned out not to bad. The hardest thing was getting a clean line around plastic lens. Then I went on and painted one set of mounting plates adapters (from rizoma) with the Rustoleum aluminum colored painted for the front and another set the semi-gloss black form the front so that they blend in with the rest of the bike. To mount the fronts I took the stock turn signal plastic adapter thingys and cut off the protruding part of it with a dremel and painted them aluminum to match. Sorry I don't have any pictures to show you, but this piece then served as a backing to hold everything in place on the front mounting brackets.
Here you can see them all mounted up.

For all the wiring I wanted a way to connect them without having to cut into the OEM wiring harness on the bike to make way for the bullet connectors that come on the turn signals and load box. So I cut the connectors off of the stock turn signals with a little bit of wire and crimped on the female portion of the bullet connectors. This gave me an adapter to connect the rizomas to, but I also crimped the male end of the connectors to the remaining wire for the stock signals so if I ever needed to wire them up again I easily could. (sorry again no close up pictures). I wired everything up front and back, using that awesome 3M plastic velcro stuff that is tough as nails to secure the load boxes.

I can't believe how much junk you can fit in that little headlight housing. You can see the load boxes and my harness adapter that I made here.

Here's the rear wiring all cleaned up. Can hardly tell besides the two load boxes.

I bought an Electronic flasher relay that was a direct replacement for the OEM on here . I thought this was well worth the money because I didn't have to mess with adding any inline resistors and kept the excess wiring to a minimum. Looks like this.

These signals are bright as all get out!! I showed this picture to my gf and she says, "It looks like your bike it shooting flames out the sides of it."

So overall a pretty good little project. Took me longer than I would have liked but that was because I would only work on it a little bit at a time.

Couple of important things I learned from doing this though that I didn't know before.

1). You can paint and bake these things at 175F and they don't break
2). You need those load box things to reduce the voltage they receive.

·
Registered
191 Posts
i have rizomas on my bike and the guys I ride with have stated that they can see them well. I tried others but rizomas were the only ones they said were as easy to see as the OEM signals

·
Registered
66 Posts
Nice work, CaffeineRacer!

For the record, those load boxes are the old style. The current Rizoma Track-77 signals come with a much smaller load box -- it's actually a little flat thing smaller than a stick of gum. All the other Rizoma signals now have the load box incorporated into the housing of the signal. The Track-77's are so slim, there wasn't space enough to do that. The Rizoma signals also come with optional resistors to slow the blink rate, but like CaffeineRacer said, you can alternatively install an LED flasher relay if you don't think you'll have space for the resistors (they're about the size of a AAA battery).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks for the write-up, I'm installing some Zero-11's soon and didn't know that flasher relay existed. That should make install a little easier.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
are they really bright in direct sunlight?
Yeah I think that they are easily seen in direct sunlight. I live in Texas and we get a lot of sunlight here and I've checked and can still see them from a distance.

For the record, those load boxes are the old style. The current Rizoma Track-77 signals come with a much smaller load box -- it's actually a little flat thing smaller than a stick of gum.
Can you buy the load boxes separately somewhere?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts