Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help!

I just finished installing my new bars but there are no provisions for installing the old bar end weights/sliders.

Is there something I should know? Do I need the pieces out of the old bars? If so, how do I get them out?

If not, what should I do?

Didn't even consider this problem when I started this project..... :eek:

TIA for your help!

N

·
0 Posts
There's a rubber expansion plug and a nut that retain the bar ends. You might be able to fish the out with a seal pick or a bent coat hanger. You might even be able to thread the screw back into the nut (minus the bar end) and then pull the whole deal out with a pair of pliers.

If all this fails you could replace the bar ends completely, starting at about $10. Bar dia is 7/8".

:)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well, if you got an aftermarket handlebar (for example from Spiegler) you should be able to buy some bar ends (even in different colors) that have the rubber expansion plug on them. Only the stock SV bar has thread inside, the aftermarket bars don't have that as far as I know.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
You should be able to get the bits you need to fit them from any Suzuki dealership- GSXRs use the rubber plug/nut method to attach their bar ends. It's a far inferior way of doing it IMO but makes for lighter bars.

N

·
0 Posts
It's been a long time since I ditched the stock bars, but I don't remember the SV naked having permanent threaded inserts for the bar ends. Am I wrong?

:)

S

·
0 Posts
You shouldnt have removed the screws for the barends. You just loosen them and pull the barend assembly (barend , screw, rubber expansion piece, nut) out. now you have to fish the rubber piece out and drop out the inner nuts. Then assemble the bar end assembly, insert in the new bar, and tighten it up. And never fully remove the barend screw again without pulling the assembly out of the bar.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I appreciate all the help but I got lucky. 

I had originally purchased a set of LP bar sliders and installed them in the old bars.  The sliders came with a bunch of different hardware to fit different types of bikes, so I used the set-up they recommend for 7/8 aftermarket tubular handlebars. Worked like a charm!

It is going to take while to adjust to the bars.  I also installed new grips and the circumference is smaller than the old Galindo superbike grips it had before. 

Upside to the new bars is that they are lighter than stock....every ounce counts!

Thanks again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts