Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of installing a new seat (04 650S) and I've got 3 out of the 4 Allen screws out, but the last one won't budge and trying to unscrew it I stripped it :mad: in the process, so now my new seat is just sitting around being a tease. What's the best way to get a stripped screw like this out? Any info would be greatly appreciated. I've read some things I googled that require drilling, and I'm not really comfortable doing that on the bike.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Don't let the fear rule you ...

It is metal and tools are there to fix mistakes.

Use a variable speed drill

get a SHARP OR NEW 7/16 inch bit   (note that it is bigger than the threaded hole)

Slowly drill thru the head and when the drill breaks thru the head you will feel a small snap=tug
stop the drill and what you have left is the threaded shank in the hole.

Reach from the other side of the frame with your fingers or with pliers and screw the threads in so it comes out the other side. 

Done properly, you will not touch the original tapped threads.  <if you drilled slowly that is  ;D >

This procedure also assumes that you have access to the other side of the threaded hole after the head and what the head is holding is removed.  Do not use this procedure with a blind hole, only with holes thru something.

Cheap allen screws are a pain in the butt.  I am not impressed with the ones they used on the SV!

To understand what is happening here, draw a side profile of your screw and draw a side profile of the drill bit tip angle.
Watch what happens when the bit gets close to the threaded shank ...

The hole left by the stripped allen screw is a perfect centering start for a drill bit.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was known as the bolt wizard at the shop I worked in at the GM dealer ! I was able to get off just
about anything that was broken or rusted out.

Get the TORCH OUT ! JUST KIDDING...........really....if it was me I would get the cut off wheel on my dremel
out and carefully make a slit on the head. As long as you have something to work with you can get anything
out pretty easy. After the slit is made you want to get as close at possible to the head with a stubby screw driver or something you make that works. Put a vicegrip on the screw driver and slowly turn and see if it gives.

BE CAREFULL if you see it does not want to go don't turn too much. It will then be time for plan B.
Which you will need an impact screw driver or use a small 3/8 in. impact gun with a screw driver bit.
The impact trick usually will get it out. Just play with the impact gun and start with the lowest setting and work your way up ! Do some research on how an impact gun works and you will see why doing this is better than trying to turn and mussle it out.

Work smarter not harder !

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Once the head is stripped, the impact driver effectiveness goes to zero depending on how bad it is stripped.
My method is great for allen socket heads and phillips heads. It is useless for slotted heads.

As for the dremel tool to cut a slot, I used that a few times with mixed results. 
If the threads are corroded or there is some similar problem such as loctite, it will not work.
The problem with that one is you no longer have a perfectly centered starter hole for the drill bit.

Impact drivers are great when you recognize that the screw is stuck and you quit before it gets too damaged.
Once stripped, even if you cut a slot and use the impact on it, it is still a gamble that it will come off.
Drilling the head out works every time and takes less than 2 minutes. 

Six on one hand, half a dozen in the other ... it is a judgement call   :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you mean the button head cap screws,I stripped one of mine a while back.I lightly hit a sharp punch into the head of the screw just outside the hex area. I then angled the punch and tapped it in a counterclockwise direction and "walked out" the screw until loose.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts