Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When installing grips on the SV650N bars, is grip glue required?

Gonna be putting OEM SVN bars onto the bike next week to replace the MSR bars that are on it now.

I've got Buell Traction grips on order, and they should be in on tuesday.

Also, if grip glue is needed, what kind should I use?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Depends a lot on the grips. If they're soft rubber and fit a little tight, you won't need glue and they'll be easier to get off when it's time to change.

Another tip for getting the on and off easy.. use an air hose with a fine blow tip on it. Just lift the edge of the grip and put the tip between the bars and grip and pull the trigger on the air. The air pressure will create an air cushion and the grip will pull right off. they will go on basically the same way.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I'd say Yes, it's a good idea. For 2.49 at Cycle Gear, you can get a little tube, enough to do both grips, of Scott Grip Glue. Don't buy a big tube as it will be all cured by the time you go to use it again!

I glue on both sides. I had an experience recently where I dodn't glue on my throttle grip because it fit very snugly on the tube. After a few months of wear, I noticed I had to keep regripping the throttle while underway. I kept losing rpm's. Turns out the grip was slipping and the throttle was closing even though the grip was stationary in my hand. It even slipped with a crampbuster mounted on it. This can happen easily in very warm weather.

I glue them now and if you use the grip glue, it comes off easy when you need it to.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
i ALWAYS use brake cleaner, going on or coming off!! the brake cleaner gives them a little 'stick' and not alide/turn, yet are easy to remove, even dirtbikes!!

the air trick only works on closed end grips...

·
Registered
41 Posts
i ALWAYS use brake cleaner, going on or coming off!! the brake cleaner gives them a little 'stick' and not alide/turn, yet are easy to remove, even dirtbikes!!

the air trick only works on closed end grips...
I used air on my new open end grips this spring and worked great. I have been using this trick since I work in a Mountain bike shop in HS. Grant there isn't as much air getting trapped, but still does the trick with little effort. ;)

·
Registered
54 Posts
I use Renthal grip glue and secure the grip at each end with Safety wire. An ounce of prevention. Nothing worse than having a grip slip off, cause you know it'll slip off at the worst moment.

·
Registered
328 Posts
If you're not reusing the old ones then just cut em off with a razor, and for putting the new ones on I use grip glue but you can also just spray the bars/inside of grip with heavy stick hairspray and slide em' on. once the hairspray dries it will stick the grips to the bars pretty well. Good luck!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Old grips are not being re-used. I'm just gonna cut them off with a razor blade.

I'll pick up some grip glue when I go pick up the grips tuesday.(they should be in that day at the dealer)

I'm also gonna have to carefully cut the ends out of the grips I'm getting so I can install my bar end mirros with them. Shouldn't be a problem though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts