Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, these things bite so much better than the SV brakes. I've only taken them around the block a few times but after a couple applications I could really feel a difference.

Honestly, one of the biggest reasons I wanted to do a GSXR front end was to get the better brakes but now I think I've found a happy medium. This is such an easy mod and relatively cheap too.

The calipers are off a 2003 GSX-R 750.

I did have to buy a new set of pads though as the ones that came with the calipers were pretty worn. I picked up a set of Galfer HH pads from Cycle Gear today and started on the install as soon as I got home. Took me about an hour.

List of mods so far:

GSX-R 750 brake calipers (adapter plates from TWF racing-thanks Zoran)
Racetech springs and emulators w/15wt fork oil
M4 slip-on muffler
Suburban Machinery Type 2 handlebar
Hamicad fender eliminator
Givi windscreen
Motosliders frame and swingarm sliders
ZX14 rear shock
Rear cowl
CRG Lane Splitter bar end mirrors
Stompgrip tank pads (not installed yet)
Completely debadged

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, this one is much better.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, what was your total investment?

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Interesting.

Based on tests conducted with professional riders involving 76 bikes the SV scored the 4th shortest stopping distance, the GSXR 750 the 24th shortest stopping distance. Modern bikes are pretty close, even comparing sport bikes to cruisers (some cruisers managed stopping distances shorter than some sport bikes). The first 34 bikes were within 6 feet of one another.

There were some surprising (to me) results. The GSXR 750 and the Harley Sportster 1200 were next to one another. The Valkyrie was 26th, the Ducati 996 was 34th.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you don't mind me asking, what was your total investment?
2 front calipers: $49 on ebay
Brackets: $65
Brake pads: $70
Brake fluid: $6

Went from 2 piston calipers to 4 piston calipers. I'll have to give it a hundred miles or so to bed these in and really get a feel for them. Initial impressions are very good though.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting.

Based on tests conducted with professional riders involving 76 bikes the SV scored the 4th shortest stopping distance, the GSXR 750 the 24th shortest stopping distance. Modern bikes are pretty close, even comparing sport bikes to cruisers (some cruisers managed stopping distances shorter than some sport bikes). The first 34 bikes were within 6 feet of one another.

There were some surprising (to me) results. The GSXR 750 and the Harley Sportster 1200 were next to one another. The Valkyrie was 26th, the Ducati 996 was 34th.
Yeah, I'm sure you could lock up the wheels on any of those bikes with the stock brakes too. For me it's about brake feel and these take less effort and give stronger braking and initial bite...everything else is equal, weight of the bike, chassis geometry, weight of the rider, friction coefficient of the tires but the bike stop as quick with less effort.

It's going to take a bit of getting used to but I'm sure I'll get a feel for them quickly after practicing some panic stops in a controlled environment.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
If you don't mind, can you take a close up pic of how the pads cover the rotor? That is, if it's not too much trouble to take off the dust shield on one of the calipers and get a pic.

tk

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you don't mind, can you take a close up pic of how the pads cover the rotor? That is, if it's not too much trouble to take off the dust shield on one of the calipers and get a pic.

tk
Here you go.

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
are you gonna upgrade the lines?...im sure that would give a little improvement too

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
nice job on the pics, man! :)

I was kinda wishing you made radial brakes setup work - that'd be hella cool

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
are you gonna upgrade the lines?...im sure that would give a little improvement too
Yeah...I was this close but I've been on kind of a spending spree with the bike lately so I didn't want to try to float another upgrade by my very considerate wife.

Maybe in a few months. ;)

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
nice job on the pics, man! :)

I was kinda wishing you made radial brakes setup work - that'd be hella cool
For that I'd need the entire GSXR front end I think...or a machine shop.

Yeah, honey, I'd like to spend another $1,000 on my bike...is that cool with you? ;D

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Interesting.

source?

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
Yeah...I was this close but I've been on kind of a spending spree with the bike lately so I didn't want to try to float another upgrade by my very considerate wife.

Maybe in a few months. ;)
yeah i know what that feels like...im debating on whether or not to call it a serious problem, all the spending sprees and stuff

me--" yeah i have like six hundred coming from work i think imma use on the bike"

girlfriend--" ummm...im still here you know."

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was thinking about doing this mod too. Any clue what year calipers will/won't work on a 2nd Gen w/ the adapters?
2001-2003 GSXR 600 and 2000-2003 GSXR 750 will work with these adapters.

2004 on use a completely different mounting system and will not work.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts