Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Installed Master Link - Did Not Grease First

7K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  Nexus242 
#1 ·
Just finished installing my new D.I.D. chain yesterday, and in a rush, forgot to grease the sideplates/pins on the master link before I pressed and riveted the plates. I put grease all over the master link after it was installed...will that suffice? Is it a big deal not to have grease inside the master link rings?

#3 ·
Didn't it already have grease on it? The RK ones I get come covered in grease. I just press them on and go.
I know they say not to reuse them but I have in a pinch with out any problems. Master links are less than $20
Good luck

#4 ·
Your chain is going to explode one you reach 9,869 rpms and you will die!!

No srsly just keep lubing it with the regular chain duty and I don't think you'll ever have a problem based on some of the neglected rusty chains I see people riding around on. The grease was only for those 2 X-rings to move smoothly against the side plates till you get a chance to lube the chain after the first 400-600 miles.

#6 ·
Hmmm, every rivet master link I've seen has come dry, with a little package of grease to smear it with. The whole point of an O-ring chain is for the o-rings to hold lube inside and to keep crap out. If you don't put any grease in there to start with it's never going to have any.
I'd get another M/L and do it over.

#7 ·
Thanks, guys! Yeah, this master link was dry and came with a package of grease...oh well, I'll remember to do it next time. Appreciate all the responses, I'll keep an eye on the master link for a while and go with it.

Nexus, your guide to replacing a chain was excellent by the way.

#20 ·
Thanks, guys! Yeah, this master link was dry and came with a package of grease...oh well, I'll remember to do it next time. Appreciate all the responses, I'll keep an eye on the master link for a while and go with it.
I would recommend against this. As has already been said, the grease is supposed to be inside the link, and just keeping the chain lubed won't do anything. You should replace it now for two reasons:

- The master link is going to wear out much faster, and it will wear out the links on either side of it as well, so if you replace it with a proper lubed master link down the road, the damage will have already been done.

- If the master link fails, you're going to throw your chain, which is bad, bad news on a bike. Considering a new master link doesn't cost much, it's pretty stupid to risk it.

#10 ·
Dunno that I'd call buying the right tool for the job a "waste". :)

I use a right angle grinder to grind the heads off and then a chain breaker to push the pins out.

#9 ·
I would strongly advise to replace with a lubed link. I had a master link failure a few years ago because of the very same situation. Lucky the broken chain didn't make me crash or punch a hole in the cases. Spraying chain lube will do nothing for the inner pin lubrication.

#11 ·
Wow, that is strange because I have never had a dry master link. They all come in a little cellophane package with the link the outside plate and the o-rings held together with a little piece of wire and they are all slathered with grease.

#15 ·
Man, that's weird. :) I've used both and had them come dry. It has been a little while though, I think the last couple of chains I've bought have been EKs.

#17 ·
Yes, I just looked up one and it shows it as coming with grease. I know that I just did one for a guy a few weeks ago and his came greased. The inconsistencies seem strange to me.

If the one the OP installed was dry then yes I would redo it. If not, he/she should be okay.

#19 ·
The chain comes very greased but the master links were very dry.

I've got 2 extra D.I.D. VM2 525 master links sitting around in sealed packs due to an order error with my last chain. If that's what you've got, PM your address and I'll send you one.

#21 ·
Nexus, I wish I'd checked this thread earlier...I already ordered a replacement master link from sprocketcenter.com. Thanks so much for your offer, that's very generous. Would have saved me $15, oh well...my fault!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.