Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After spending the last couple weeks not working on my bike because of a sprained wrist I spent yesterday installing my 636 shock.  I have heard all the stories of having the cut the battery box but I did NOT want to do that because I didnt want to sit the battery on top of the resevoir.  As I was installing it I decided to use spacers to push the battery box down and away from the resevoir and I was successful.  I had to use 2 inch spacers (cut out of some pipe I bought at Lowes).  The battery is still sitting in its box and the resevoir is not touching the battery.  When I sit on the bike the box actually goes away from the res so its all good.  Here are a few pics

There is a space about 1/16 of an inch in there.

You can see the shock and spacer here. The spacer is shiny

All and all it took about an hour with the trip to Lowes

·
Registered
536 Posts
Pics no worky, at least for me. And I'd really like to see 'em, 'cause I've a 636 shock sitting in my garage, just itching to be put in my '01, and after all the cutting I did yesterday for my DIY fender eliminator, I'm sick of hacking plastic off of my bike at the moment!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Nice, man.

I wonder, though -- will you have any clearance issues with the wheel vs. the underside of the undertray/battery box now when the shock is at full compression...

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
None my dad sat on the back of the bike with me on it as well and it didnt touch. Not even CLOSE! It works well.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am originally from Goffstown, then I moved to Durham for College now I am down in Boston. You>?

·
Registered
687 Posts
i live in amesbury near hampton beach kind of :) you still going to UNH ? i shot up there to ride sometimes :)

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Good job! You should consider making a "kit". It sounds cheap and easy enough to make and I'm sure there's plenty of fellas out there that would rather give you a few $$$ then cut up there fender...

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
WHO WANTS A KIT???????? haha Nah I will just tell you what you need. You will need 2, 2 inch spacers and 2 bolts ( I got 2.75 inch and just JUST fit, 3 inch would be better) 4 washers and a 636 shock as well. You will need the correct thread size too. Its an M6x1.00 metric!!!!!. Be sure to get the right bolt or you may have a hard time. Like I said I got some plumbing pipe for the spacers. They were cut from that copper pipe that has the shiny out coating that they have on pipes that connect to the toilet. They were shiny and PRETTY and copper doesnt rust so I figured what the heck (plus they didnt have long enough SS ones and I didnt wanna piece them together.) ANYWAYS!!!!

TO continue, I removed the undertail completely b4 I started putting the shock in. Oh yeah I didnt have to grind the Nut of Bolt to fit in between the dog bones either. They just BARELY did not touch and when I got on I didnt hear any scraping sounds. After I got the shock in I drilled out the ORIGINAL holes that connnect the undertail to the sub frame big enough so that the bolts would thread in straight. What happens is when you pull the undertail down the holes in the tail dont line up with the sub fram so you need to drill them out a bit to make them line up again. Then you slide your new bolt through with a washer on it so it doesnt pop through your newer BIGGER hole, then you put a washer and your new spacer on and thread it in. Bada bing do the other side and you are DONE! You should have a 1/16th of an inche space and the batter wont touch the resevoir because when you sit on it the two actually go AWAY from each other.

As for clearance issues with the back tire. I sat on the bike and had my old man put his weight on it and it did even come close because the under tail at that point is in FRONT of the tire and not OVER it. It actually works well becaues the batter box offer more protection from debris for you new/used 636 shock.

If you guys have any questions let me know. As for kits seriously you can do it yourself but if you want I can send you what you need for cost plus a buck or two and shipping. You guys/girls are all good though so you can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No I live in boston now and I have a full time job but I still go visit/meet young girls haha. Man if you wanna hit up a ride sometime let me know. !

·
Registered
536 Posts
Really nice work, man. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No its cold up in Mass and I havent sent out the parts for paint yet. Still trying to figure out the color I want and the front blinker situation

·
Registered
687 Posts
NHSVnaked said:
No its cold up in Mass and I havent sent out the parts for paint yet. Still trying to figure out the color I want and the front blinker situation
cold HA it's 20 here :) and we going to be getting 14" of snow

1 - 20 of 81 Posts