Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a brief initial description of the receipt and installation of the custom footpegs and controls machined by board member Nucular onto my 2003 SV.
I wanted a set made that would place the pegs in the same position as the 2003 naked pegs ( my SV started it's life nude) but with the improved action the bearing pivots would afford.

I apologize for the less than optimal cell phone pictures

Old ones coming off

Here are the parts unpacked and laid out and partially assembled

Brake side mounted. The stock main spring worked once stretched and opened up a bit

Shift side on. Note the lovely low position

So onto the initial impressions:
-Kevin does wonderful work. Parts look great and the finish and packaging are top notch.
-I thought the amount of play between the needle bearings and the aluminum peg felt to be more than expected. I also wondered about longevity, as the steel bearings are against aluminum, not the best bearing surface. Dont know what other mfgs do, or what would improve it, outside of a steel sleeve over the load bearing area. (this is NOT a criticism. Just observations)
-Was worried about vibration as I am eliminating the rubber covered pegs
-Dimensionally the fit was perfect. Perhaps adding another small hole to allow the factory rear brake switch to be used? I have ordered a Vortex pressure switch.
-Bearings seemed lightly greased...I added a well spread glob of Phil Wood to each before final assembly, as well as a small dab of blue loctite to the pegs and mounts
-To get the position I wanted, Nuke figured out that the mount bracket with the adjustable holes would be eliminated altogether and the bracket would mount direct to the frame. Spcers were needed though to get the bracket out to the correct width. I think a small flat bracket would provide more support than two cylindrical spacers.

So after a 30 mile ride last night my feelings:
OH MY GOD. I swapped a 2006 motor into my SV last Winter and have NEVER been happy with the way it shifted since. I thought perhaps something was tweaked inside as the shifting was notchy and VERY hard to find neutral at times. The recent crash I had mangled the shifter side peg assembly and the shifting only felt worse.
This completely cures those ills. The bike shifts like a swiss watch. ALL energy put into the lever is transferred to the shaft. Wow is all i can say.

Love the grippy knurled pegs compared to rubbber. Feet stay put.

No vibration issues. In fact, I know it sounds impossible, but it feels smoother than before.

Position? These are in reality about 1/2" lower and 1/2" further forward than the stock 2003 naked pegs. I was amazed and what difference I felt in comfort and posture from such a small change (less than going to Buell pegs).
I am sold on these. The few little things I am wondering aloud about will sort themselves out as the miles pile up.

No rigidity issues due to the spacers either.

Thanks Kevin (Nucular) for getting these done for me. You did a great job and are highly skilled IMHO. I will provide updates here as time goes on.

·
Registered
184 Posts
looks good.. based on the brake light and frame color I'm guessing an 03? does it have the forks on the rear to mount 04 up brake lights or do you need to swap the switch?
ok newb question.. but what are the advantages over stock?

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
looks good.. based on the brake light and frame color I'm guessing an 03? does it have the forks on the rear to mount 04 up brake lights or do you need to swap the switch?
ok newb question.. but what are the advantages over stock?
Yes, it's an 2003 as detailed above (you DID read my post before replying right?)

And yes, I am waiting for a Vortex pressure switch to arrive to get my brake light back, so no, it cannot use the factory switch (also covered in my initial post)

Advantage is VASTLY improved shifting action. Of course you need to remember my bike has well over 100,000 miles on it already and was recently crashed, which f'ed up the shifter assemble even worse.
Other advantage is comfort, with a lower position.:rock:

·
Registered
184 Posts
you got me.. I didn't read anything but the image captions.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
You know what they say, pictures speak 1000 words, with much less effort too.

They look pretty nice, if they were adjustable that would have sold me. So far I'm content with the Buell pegs.

Quality looks danm good though

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You know what they say, pictures speak 1000 words, with much less effort too.

They look pretty nice, if they were adjustable that would have sold me. So far I'm content with the Buell pegs.

Quality looks danm good though
Boy...people who don't read posts before replying are everywhere.:-*

Nucular's "standard" sets do include a backing plate with multiple adjustments for peg location.

As I said above, I didn't want that. I WANTED lower, and those same brackets would not allow it. This solution is PERFECT for the touring crowd.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey I walleye fish... watch it eh.
You're from Minnysota. Same as Canada really.

flashback to a wilderness camping trip once to the Boundry Waters.

There we were, fishing for northerns in the middle of Crooked Lake. Damn floatplane lands next to our canoe (shutting down the pike bite) and idles next to us...to ask us if we had Canadian licenses, as we apparently had passed the imaginary line dividing the countries, as Crooked lies on the border. In the middle of nowhere.

We laughed and laughed at that one over the fire that night.:lmao:

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Poth... these adjustable enough for ya?

Swiss... that's a good descriptor. I said that my shifts *snick* into gear. :) I agree too that a small placement change in the controls make a HUGE difference. In my case raising the pegs and pushing them back proved to be a monumental improvement in ergonomics.

I'm really glad to see nucular getting these out there!

Dan~ depending on how much you ride, you should see the pegs give up a little of that tenacious grip on the soles of your footwear. I doubt you will see any added wear on your boots too. I know some were worried about that.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For those checking this out, make note that the bracket itself (not the backing plate with the adjustment holes) is different on mine than the set Strig pictures above, with the peg hole even lower. My brackets will of course fit Nuke's (or anyone elses for that matter) backing plate if I ever felt the need to move them around. I would simply substitute the backing plate for the spacers on mine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts