Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought on eBay for $90 shipped, 2000 miles and looked like less. Came with dogbones and top and bottom bolts.

Install took about 4 hours. Removed battery box lid, removed rear tank hinge and cut off battery holder. On the undertray I only removed about 2 square inches of material via dremel for shock reservoir. Wrapped battery in 1/2" model airplane quality foam rubber. Held in place with double sided velcro straps. Made a spacer to flex the undertray a bit out of an elevator bolt which looks like a Harley exhuast valve with 3/16" threaded rod for a valve stem. Used nylon lock nuts and fender washers and zip tied it in place under the seat rear hold down hook rod. This provides a more comfortable battery position. Had to extend ground wire by 3 inches.

Test rode this morning. Preload was set to about 40% and I don?t have a spanner that fits it yet, so sag is only about 10mm. I counted about 4 turns on comp and and 2.5 rebound damping from full out to full in and set them both in the middle.

Instead of avoiding all the little and not so little bumps along the few miles to the highway, I hit them square and am just absolutely delighted with the performance of this shock! On the very sharpest bumps, it was a bit harsh but I need to take some spring out. But all the rest were just neat and tidy thumps. For my 6? 205lb frame this shock is great, it?s valved nicely and sprung for my weight.

Actually having some damping is great, my stock shock with 28,000 miles was GONE. A huge improvement over stock! I do agree that it does magnify the front end problems, but new springs, oil, and emulators are on the way. I found myself really keeping my weight back so my weight was hung on the rear shock because it rides so nice!

I continued to be impressed once I made it to the twisties and got to lean it over and hit some very well known mid-corner bumps. I would say that this is the best shock to install for street riding and the occasional track day for us 200 pounders. It beats a stock gixxer shock because it?s sprung and valved for our weight, partially due to the different linkage ratios on the ZX vs the SV. And it?s cheap, I?ve seen some of you get them for $40.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Can you reuse the stock dog bones and bolts or do you need to use the ones that come with the ZX10R shock. The reason why I ask is that I can get an 05 zx10r shock for cheap,but it doesn't come with dog bones or bolts.

·
Registered
246 Posts
supark said:
Can you reuse the stock dog bones and bolts or do you need to use the ones that come with the ZX10R shock. The reason why I ask is that I can get an 05 zx10r shock for cheap,but it doesn't come with dog bones or bolts.

I'm 6'4 210 and will be installing this shock in a week. I also need to know if you can use the stock dog bones and bolts. I thought I read that you could.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I saw Yellow650 said about the ZX10r shock in another thread that:

"you will use your stock "knuckle" on the bottom and stock dogbones (or some dogbones from www.SVRaceshop.com if you want to raise the rear a bit)"

·
Registered
76 Posts
^^^

yup, but you will need a new bolt for the bottom of the shock.

·
Registered
246 Posts
NorCal Newbie said:
^^^

yup, but you will need a new bolt for the bottom of the shock.
Anything I can't get from an auto parts store or Home Depot?

·
Registered
76 Posts
you can get the stock bolt from a Kawi dealer, but I just went to a hardware store and got a metric bolt... um... M10 x 60 I believe, and then I trimmed a little off of it... probably about 10 - 12mm or so... (I definitely could have gone with a shorter bolt)

·
Registered
246 Posts
NorCal Newbie said:
you can get the stock bolt from a Kawi dealer, but I just went to a hardware store and got a metric bolt... um... M10 x 60 I believe, and then I trimmed a little off of it... probably about 10 - 12mm or so... (I definitely could have gone with a shorter bolt)
That's what I'll do. Thanks for your help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts