Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for an sv 650 naked. I came across a post on craigslist today and went to check it out. The seller said he was the original owner, but the title showed 10,500 miles on the odometer when it was transferred to him. He explained that the bike was sold as new to him, but it was a "cage" bike. I called the dealer where he purchased the bike and they confirmed the story. The bike was a suzuki owned demo bike, but they have no way of knowing how so many miles were put on. I checked title, vin, etc. and it all checks out. He purchased his 2007 red sv 650 naked in May 2008, and the dealer confirmed that the 1 yr original warranty would transfer to me for the remaining few months.

So after all that typing, I want input. Mainly does anyone know how so many miles got put on the bike? I think he was able to buy the bike for roughly $4600 "new" -- we settled on 3,500 and i plan on buying this bike on monday. Thoughts?

2007 Suzuki SV650 - $4200 (Surprise)Date: 2009-03-14, 11:03AM MST

"2007 Suzuki SV650, original owner, perfect condition, 13,000 miles, Two Brothers Pipe, K&N Air, Powerstands Bar End Mirror, also have all original parts, maintained by Suzuki, clear title and ready to go. Please call Rob for more details and/or any questions. $4200.00 OBO"

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Maybe he and the salesman that demo'ed it just ride it? My 07 has 9800 on it, and I don't ride it nearly enough, not as much as lots of guys I know.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
sunds good to me. 13 is just broken in.

·
Chief Greeter
28,489 Posts
Hi svinaz, Welcome to SVR. Sounds like a deal, just broken in and still has some warranty time left on it.

Have fun and ride safe!

:fiddy:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ha i agree the pipe is a nice extra, pretty sure my wife won't agree that, that thing is loud. He's including all stock parts so i may have to switch it out.

And to clarify, my main question is how 10,000 miles were put on the bike as a "demo" bike. What kind of riding, who was riding it, etc.

Thanks and any input is appreciated.

·
Chief Greeter
28,489 Posts
If all the miles were demo miles, I would think it would be around some city streets and maybe on the freeway if that's near where the dealer is.

Or maybe there was a sales / service person commuting with it?

·
Registered
181 Posts
If all the miles were demo miles, I would think it would be around some city streets and maybe on the freeway if that's near where the dealer is.

Or maybe there was a sales / service person commuting with it?
Not that there is anything wrong w/ the bike. But what kind of dealer would allow an employee or anyone to put 10K miles on an unsold bike. If every potential SV owner that walked in the door for three years rode it, I still can't imagine that kind of mileage.

·
Registered
414 Posts
It sounds to me that your concerned about who demo'd the bike and what kind of abuse did this person/ or these people do to it. Kind of like buying a rental car, it looks new but you know whoever drove it beat the s**t out of it.

·
Registered
459 Posts
sounds to me that it was a manager or something that was riding it as he pleased. same thing as a car lot, they will drive a car as a demo or even have a 'company car' that is theirs. they just run with a dealer plate on em.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I would buy it. Anytime you buy a used bike you have no idea how it was ridden by the previous owner(s) If the bike was a dealer bike then I would say that they would have maintained their bikes according to the service schedule. I know we do with our demo bikes. You cant say the same thing for a private party bike.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Factory regional/district sales reps get about 4 bikes a year to use. I won't bore you with all the details, but often these units get snatched up by the dealer at a good price and then retail them. It may all be on the up and up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all your input everyone. When I talked to the dealer they explained that it was actually suzuki that owned the bike, and not just the dealer. So yes I was mostly concerned about someone abusing the bike, like if suzuki let people demo the bike at a track or something where abuse would be more likely.

Factory regional/district sales reps get about 4 bikes a year to use. I won't bore you with all the details, but often these units get snatched up by the dealer at a good price and then retail them. It may all be on the up and up.
Fastriding man, it sounds like you know what you're talking about. You would guess then that this bike was most likely a commuter/trip bike for a factory rep? Any more details would actually be very helpful if I ever decide to sell the bike (not likely) because:

I BOUGHT IT YESTERDAY AT IT IS AWESOME!

I really appreciate everyone's input and I've been reading/researching on this site for quite some time now and the deal is finally sealed.

If I were smarter I could post a pic, but just picture an 07 red naked in awesome condition.

Thanks everyone I'll be around for a while.

·
Chief Greeter
28,489 Posts
I BOUGHT IT YESTERDAY AT IT IS AWESOME!

If I were smarter I could post a pic, but just picture an 07 red naked in awesome condition.

Thanks everyone I'll be around for a while.
Yay!

I use a host site (Photobucket) to upload and post pics in forums.

Have fun and ride safe!

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Congrats on the new bike :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts