Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why in the heck are all cruisers V-twins? Not to say that I don't like V-twins, but wouldn't it be cool to have a high revving I4 motor in a cruiser chasis? I know that you can reconfigure inline-four engines to provide a healthy wallop of torque down low (Bandit 1250 for example). Is there a particular reason that cruisers all seem to go the V-twin route, while forgoing other engine configurations?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I think it's more due to tradition. It's alike asking "Why isn't there a Corvette with a turbo 4-cylinder?".

Also, frames for v-twin engines are simpler to mass-produce.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
You can get a V4 Vmax, it's a bit difference and make more revs.

1679cc liquid-cooled 65° V-4, DOHC, 4 valves/cylinder

The U.S. website doesn’t have numbers but they do in Europe, 197 horsepower at 9000 rpm, 123 foot pounds at 6500 rpm.

There is also the Triump ROCKET III.

2,294cc Liquid-cooled, DOHC, in-line 3-cylinder

Maximum Power 142PS / 140bhp / 104kW @ 6,000 rpm Maximum Torque 200Nm / 147ft.lbf @ 2,500 rpm

Triump also haves a parallel twin cruiser

·
Registered
522 Posts
That V-max is a monster, 197 horses?! Dear god!

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
If you went for an I4, it would perform well and be dependable. Harley guys would have a fit.

That V-Max is sexy. We have two at local dealerships and I so desperately want to ride one.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I want its headlight...looks better than a VRod's methinks.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those V-maxes are sweet, I just wish they weren't so ****ed expensive. I'm pretty sure the V-max torque and horsepower, combined with the drool puddle on my seat, would cause me to fly off during moderate acceleration.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
In the beginning (circa 1978-1982) of the Japanese cruiser or custom style everything they made was an inline. Basically because that's what they had Mostly fours, although I think the very first one was a Yamaha triple, either the 750 or 850, and some small parallel twins. They sold well, but marketing surveys showed that people strongly preferred the V-Twin look. So in 82-84 they came out with the Vulcan, Virago, Shadow and Intruder. They sold a lot better. For a few years the inline and V bikes were sold together, but the sales of the V's were so much better that the inlines were dropped.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
In the beginning (circa 1978-1982) of the Japanese cruiser or custom style everything they made was an inline. Basically because that's what they had Mostly fours, although I think the very first one was a Yamaha triple, either the 750 or 850, and some small parallel twins. They sold well, but marketing surveys showed that people strongly preferred the V-Twin look. So in 82-84 they came out with the Vulcan, Virago, Shadow and Intruder. They sold a lot better. For a few years the inline and V bikes were sold together, but the sales of the V's were so much better that the inlines were dropped.
You know you post up this "reasoning", backed up by "logic" and "facts". I can't say I'm digging it.

;D

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I think that the power curve of a vtwin lends itself to cruising a bit better than I4 engines. You might be able to get away with a power cruiser with the style of the vrod or vmax with a powerhouse I4 but people do like the looks of the V

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Honda Magna, V-4:
Essentially the same engine as the venerable VFR / Interceptor.

Engine Type: 748cc liquid-cooled 90° V-4
Front Suspension: 41mm cartridge fork; 5.9 inches travel
Rear Suspension: Dual shocks with 5-way spring preload adjustability; 3.9 inches travel
Dry Weight: 504.8 pounds
Wet weight: 539 lbs.
Fuel Capacity: 3.6 gallons, including 0.8-gallon reserve
Quarter mile acceleration: 12.71 sec., 102.9 mph
200-yard top-gear acceleration from 50 mph, terminal speed: 73.0 mph
:rock:

:vroom:

·
Registered
975 Posts
The Japanese cruiser was first a custom and most were I4's.

·
Registered
920 Posts
wouldn't it be cool to have a high revving I4 motor in a cruiser chasis?
I just don't think enough people equate "cruising" with high revving. If I go out cruising in or on anything, there's nothing frantic/hyper about it.

It's kroooooooooozing.....lazy and relaxed.;)

Having said that though, back in the day I did drool over the Kawasaki Eliminator. Basically a Ninja engine in a cruising chassis:

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Apparently they were pulling 11 second flat quarter miles so I guess so!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts