Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the things I miss with the SV is a center stand, but I decided that I would live with a maintenance stand in the barn and lift the bike weekly for oil check and chain clean/lube. Now that the weather has warmed enough to bring the bikers out at work, I took a walk thhrough the bike lot and noticed that there was rust on most of the chains of the sidestand only bikes and they were fairly dry.
Talking around the office, there was a heavy attitude of any work or maintenance that needs to be done will be done by the shop.
Maybe it is because I predate o-ring chains, and rode when parts would vibrate off the bike if you did not do regualar torque checks, but it seems to me the bike deserves a good going over, especially including chain, oil, and tires, at least weekly, torque checks a bit less often.
Barry

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
I have no need for a centerstand personaly...

Rear stands work well and leave the weight off the bike.

The only way i would have a need for a centerstand would be if i were touring heavily and putting on THOUSANDS of miles and constantly away from home...and at that point i would have a scottoiler

·
Registered
108 Posts
Dont really miss the stand. Call me mad but i slowly walk around my bike on a daily basis, not only looking for the unusual but also at the astetics of the bike as a whole. I lube the Chain about once a month, but im an ex bike mechanic so its ingrained in me.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Dont really miss the stand. Call me mad but i slowly walk around my bike on a daily basis, not only looking for the unusual but also at the astetics of the bike as a whole. I lube the Chain about once a month, but im an ex bike mechanic so its ingrained in me.

i use a rear stand also, AND have a monthly nutandbolt session..

i'm just an old MX'r/dirtbiker and those NEEDED weekly maintenance, so, not a big deal here!!

;D

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
This thread has kinda drifted into a center stand discussion, but the issue is maintenance.

I see quite a few bikes that are ignored as far as basic maintenance goes. Basic maintenance is just that - basic. It's keeping after the things that are essential to good service life and in some cases, safety.

I am shocked at the bikes that have all kinds of expensive mods, but the chain is rusty and out of adjustment. Seems like priorities are out of order when a condition like that exists.

Not everyone thinks the same; a lot of us do all of our own maintenance, some don't. Some see basic maintenance as fun, some see it as drudgery. Some don't do "maintenance" until the bike stops "yielding fun", ie breaks down. Their mindset is, as long as the bike runs and gives the desired sensations, it's ok.

Taking a bike to the dealer is OK for some people that have no inclination to do the job themselves or those that see the required tasks as too demeaning.

Lack of a center stand is a poor excuse to ignore maintenance.

That's how I see it.

G

·
The real advantage of a center stand as I see it, is that it travels with you wherever you go. Sure there's a trade-off with its bulk and weight, but you can easily lube your chain while on a weekend roadtrip, or plug a tire on the side of the road if you need to. For this, I have seriously considered buying one. Carrying my rear stand with me on a trip wouldn't be fun.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry for any misunderstanding, by 'survey', I meant the survey I took of bikes in the parking lot at work. I was curious if the lack of a centerstand would lead to laziness, but likely the stand would not matter.
I know about the aftermarket stand, but I'm happy with the rearstand for the kind of riding I do. I might rethink that for an epic cross country journey, but I would also rethink having a stock seat on my SVS. (Actually I am already rethinking the seat).
Barry

·
Registered
667 Posts
I went for a ride a couple weeks ago with a guy that needed to do a oil change on his R6 (new rider), and asked me where I went to get mine done. Told him "my garage", he looked at me like I was on crack. I've noticed a lot of SS bikes that have chains in pretty bad condition.

Since I did my last good cleaning & lube with Teflon I check the chain at least weekly to make sure it's still got a good coating. And am going to do another through cleaning on it Sunday, It's been about 600-800 miles since I did it last time.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
My local bike shop guys (they work on sportbikes mostly, all types) say that they noticed that the people who tend to do more of their own maintenance and mechanical work in general are people who ride SVs. However, SVs don't come with a center stand...

·
Registered
406 Posts
i got a centerstand installed on my bike. i did a long trip and it was a pain in the a$$ lubricating the chain every day by rolling the bike around. i got sick of it and bought a centerstand.

lubricating the chain became instantly easier and i think it is worth it.

it just depends where you do your maintenance. there are generally three places i do my maintenance: the parking lot of a motel/campground in the morning before i leave for the day; parking lot of a candian tire; my driveway hehe

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
A center stand ,on any trip over three days,is worth the price.Lubing chain,flats and safer parking.As far as the extra weight,think about it? It is down at the lowest part of the bike,it will not change the way the bike handles,but all the added gear does.I notice how SV owners pack stuff to the SKY!! I use Happy Trails panniers off my duel purpose bike and angle the boxes so the wind keeps the bike stable and only lose 2 mpg with a extra 60lbs gear.On a trip a thousand miles from home,it is foolish to push it,like you ride your local roads.I have seen 13 riders down ,that the bikes were damage so bad,that the trip was over.Three were DEAD!!48yrs.riding.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Before I got the SV, all my bikes had integrated centerstands. Well, they were old.

To service the chain, a standard 16 inch length of split firewood works great. Strap down the front handbrake, lift up the right side against the stand and kick the wood under the swingarm.

Would work anywhere on the road where 1-2 inch saplings are available. Slice a length with the saw attachment on your swiss army or leatherman. May not be as handy if there are only suguaro cactus skeletons are available. In that case, haul over the right sized basalt column.

I did evenutally get motoslider spools and a pitbull rear stand. It's a more solid base for wrenching on things.

I don't see a serious need for an attached centerstand on roadtrips unless you're tearing the back end off on the side of the road. If there's anything wrong with the front end, you're still hosed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts