Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was web surfing and came across the following on Amazon:
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Shoei-RF-1100-Visor-shield-Silver/dp/B005NUS2M0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1345087391&sr=8-2&keywords=rf1100+visor[/ame]

They have silver, gold and blue reflective shields.

Anyone have any experience with these?

How are these reflective shields for late night riding? I try to avoid riding late, but sometimes it just happens.

Seems like they have some good reviews as far as fitment, and are much cheaper than thru Shoei.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
No experience with aftermarket shields so I can't say.

Bought my smoke shield for around $40 through RidersDiscount when I bought my RF1100 with them. I think MSRP is closer to $60 for the Shoei shields.

·
Registered
151 Posts
It's hard to choose a visor when every seller tries to display it in a way which will appeal to most people. Lighting and angle make the perfect photo.
The visor you linked looks similar to mine, but I got the spectra blue and silver from ebay seller pgrmotor.

Here are a lot of photos (visor closed, visor open, camera view through visor; all with and without flash). The flash photos make it look overly dark/reflective where-as the non-flash photos make it look slightly more transparent than it is. If you'd like photos of it outside during the day (not indoors at night) let me know and I'll post them tomorrow. I posted both blue + silver incase someone else does a search on this in the future.

Random order:

Note 1: the surfaces are very reflective and any fingerprints, improperly dried water spots, or oil on the visor will leave that part transparent till the next cleaning. I use an LCD cleaner solution and cloth, seems to work the best so far, but there are still faint streaks left on it that won't bother you but noticeable within 3m. With the clear Shoei visor that came with the helmet I could leave to air dry after cleaning and wiping down with a dab of shaving cream. It's far more obvious someone mishandled your helmet than if you had the tinted, clear, or non-reflective visor.
Oh, and the reflective surface is on the outside (obvious but keep it in mind) so when I knicked it against a bolt (....I'll leave it at that) I left a nice streak exposing just the shaded plastic..... so yeah, scratches are more noticeable too.

Note 2: Neither visors distort my vision in any way. Nice they were both UV rated as well, but no one ever tells you down to what wavelength :(.

Note 3: I cant lock either of these visors. They fit perfectly unto their spline housings, secure firmly in place, can use the lever to prop it open or leave shut in the middle position, but the lever wont slide all the way up onto the visor to lock it in place.

Note 4: overall: great price and especially great quality for the price, in Canada I can buy 4 of them for the price of one Shoei shield. No regrets what-so-ever.

I'm hoping someone with a Shoei spectra shield can comment on their experience with it. "Assuming" they are better, perhaps the extra $$$ is worth the durability and cleaning convenience? Btw, these are the only aftermarket shields I have experimented with, other competitively priced visors may be better, but I wouldn't know.

Oh yea, one final photo comparing the spectra silver (blue looks the same) with the dark smoke. Dark smoke left, spectra silver right; view as you would see it form helmet.... this photo took a circus act to take:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Wow that was a long post.
P.S. the non-flash photos make it look more transparent (so in the photos the visor looks a little 'darker' because you can see into the helmet more). Also, any reflections you see on the visors (from the internal view) you obviously won't see when you're actually wearing the helmet.

Late night riding is doable, since they aren't as dark as the dark smoke but unless you know the road and which intersections have those corners of accumulated gravel, just take it easy. I wouldn't do it on a regular basis but it does happen and I wouldn't say it`s anything to worry about in the city. I haven't been on dark country roads since getting the visors so no comment there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts