Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hubby got my bike out of the shop for me this morning and dropped my bike! :( Seems he slid on a soft spot b/c of some rain we've been having and didn't get his foot down in time. Buried my frame sliders about an inch in the grass and broke the back of the stock blinker. It still works, thank God but looks like crap. It's not hanging off but I want to go ahead and replace the blinkers as I don't like the stock ones anyway. I don't want to get something expensive b/c I know this being my first bike it's liable to happen again, but would like to find some inexpensive replacements that look better than the stock ones. Oh, and it's for an 03 650s. I've been looking but not sure what will fit my bike with very little or no mods. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Any signal will be an pretty easy replacement. Just cut the connector off of the stock signal so that it will plug into the harness and drimp it to the new signal.

The buell signals are about the cheapest you will find, they are still DOT legal, and they don't look too bad.

If you want something smaller the Lockhart Phillips short stalks are popular.

·
Hall Monitor
2,738 Posts
+1 on the Buell turn signals- they're inexpensive ($5), stylish, and, most importantly, DOT legal (which means they're actually visible, unlike some of the aftermarket "marker lights" that people install).

Bill

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
The buells look like this:

Great on a 1st generation SV, but I'm sure they'd look good on a 2nd gen, too. Just make sure to get the rears as the fronts have about a 3" longer stalk.

Y

·
0 Posts
+1 on the Buell Signals they are fairly cheap too... I have had nothing but problems with LP and others on my bikes.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
It's seriously easier to just stop by a Harley/Buell dealer and either see if they're in stock or order them. Not like there's not a million HD dealers around. Just get the ones from the XB9S. They're the same signals going back to 1997, I think. I don't believe Buell has ever used a different signal on the rear of any of their bikes.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Cheap and good are both qualities of Buell signals. Others - like LP's, are often *ahem*....cheap, but not too good.

The one thing you will need to do with the Buells though is remove the amber insert and replace the bulb with an amber 1157. Not a big deal - but the Buell systems use a 10 watt bulb compared to a 21 watt for the SV. A 10 watt bulb on the SV will blink twice as fast.

Nothing to remotely consider a deal-breaker. A trip to Wall World's automotive department fixes the bulb issue.

Good looking, cheap, well made.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Well there seems to be a lot of misinformation in this thread. I went to the HD dealer and picked up some XB9 signals. The front and rears are exactly the same length, just slightly different casings. Actually, the RH/front and LH/rear are the same and vice-versa. I just bought the set of 4.
The bulb is indeed 10 W... definitley not a 1157 though (that is the honker that comes in our signals)
Also, its not an amber bulb... its a amber #5008 (with BA15s base). I went to Auto Zone and cant find a 21 W replacement and cant find a 21W BA15S online either.

TO THOSE WHO HAVE INSTALLED THESE SIGNALS:
Were you able to find a 21W replacement? If not, does the signal just shine half as bright, but at the same speed?

Orangegilly: Do you mind giving a little write-up on your rear fender? Looks really clean. I still have the stock rear fender and need to fab something to get these Buells signals installed since the attatchement is different than stock. Also might as well get rid of that fugly thing on the back while Im at it.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Did somebody say Buelll Signals.... :shock: :lol:

Well, sonny let me tell you about Buell signals...

Buy four of them, make sure they are the rears. To make them work properly on the SV do as Ruefus says....except....

Take 'em apart. Remove the inner amber lens and the stock Buell 10W bulb. Then add a 1156NA Not the 1157NA's as they are dual filament bulbs. The 1156's are single filament and $2 for a pack of two. Replace the outer smoke cover and attach to the bike.

You will NOT find a 21w bulb to fit under the amber cover for less than you can buy the 1156NA's at wally world. I think Ziguy found some but I want the brightness of the 21W bulb and the cost of the 1156NA's.

I also bought the X1 rears. The naked XB series should be different lengths, not sure about the Firebolt series. The fronts on the nakeds are 3" longer as Orangegilly mentioned.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Another reason why the attraction to the Buell's.... They work and don't fail. I had used a set of Lp's mini caron stalks... I was replacing bulbs pretty much every month. They would leak (even with all the sealant I would use, plus the dielectric grease)... They sucked. I've replaced them with the Buell's and after 25k miles, I haven't blown a bulb or even needed to touch them.

They look the best on the first gen's for sure. Second gens... they are okay, still better looking then the LP's or those ugle flush mounts that look like someone took a piece of chewed up bubble gum and put it on the bike.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
eeeeek said:
siisgood00 said:
Well there seems to be a lot of misinformation in this thread. I went to the HD dealer and picked up some XB9 signals.
No misinformation. We've all been talking about X1 turn signals, not XB turn signals.

The pic I posted was using signals from the XB9S Buell. Actually, come to think of it, I think they were from the new XB12 CityX. I would be willing to wager that you'd have a hard time telling which Buell the signals are from because I think they've all been the same since around 1997. Just make sure they're the rears and do the amber bulb swap as described above. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
154 Posts
orangegilly said:
The pic I posted was using signals from the XB9S Buell. Actually, come to think of it, I think they were from the new XB12 CityX. I would be willing to wager that you'd have a hard time telling which Buell the signals are from because I think they've all been the same since around 1997. Just make sure they're the rears and do the amber bulb swap as described above. Works like a charm.
Not true. In 97 and 98, the only bikes that Buell made were the S1, M2 and S3. They all had different, not flexible turn signals.

In 99, the X1 came out and it was the first to use the famed "Buell" turn signals. The S3 and M2 continued to use a different, old style signal rigid signal until those models were discontinued.

The XB's came out in 03 and have a slightly different turn signal.

Yes, I know way too much useless information.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts