Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all...

I'm in the middle of putting a set of SonicSprings .80s in my stock fork, no emulator, and I was wondering if I had to cut the pvc supplied as spacers or if I could just use the stock metal ones that I pulled out of the forks.

Thanks for the help....takin a beer break and waiting for the pizza guy so hopefully somebody will know before I get motivated again... ;-)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Uh, oh, I posted a noob "how NOT to" on this recently, and it sounds like you are in the same boat! You definitely need to cut those spacers. You need to fully unload the suspension, then put the spring into the tube and drop a washer on top of the spring, then measure from the top of the washer to the top of the fork tube, then subtract an inch (assuming you have pre-load adjusters on that bike) and that is the length to cut the PVC. The stock spacers will NOT work.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yah sorry for the noob question...this is my first bike and I've had no experience in disassembling forks before now. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Something about that smiley face makes me feel guilty for trying to cut corners. I'm going back out to the garage in a few to finish up the last few steps but the install went well. Thanks for the parts Rich!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah Yeah, I know. I was tryin to be lazy...ultimately I did follow the instructions as advised...and guess what? The install went pretty smoothly. Who would've thought...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually........after I broke down and cut my pvc spacer I realized that I hadn't completely compressed the fork before measuring...and I ended up about 1/4" short. Had to run out to lowes for some extra conduit.

I was hoping not to air that public bit of humiliation but....you live you learn.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
haha I actually had to buy just as long of one...except without the friendly worker. I drove home with it sticking 4 feet out of the passenger window on my wrangler ;-) (made me want to try...jeep jousting?)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Im about to install the same on mine this weekend. What parts did you have to replace on the stock setup (IE: seals, washers etc..)

Trying to find this all out now before i get it apart then have to go back and forth to the moto shop picking up items.

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

http://webservices.motorsportdealers.com/parts/partImages/SUZ/2/08/08/0050A.Gif

thanks!
Jason.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts