Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My SV won't start occasionally, and dies on me occasionally, and it is because of the "clip on" section of the fuses located underneath the passenger seat. Anybody know what the piece I'm looking for is called, and where to get one?

The piece that's disconnected, the one he's holding.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
The wiring diagram refers to it as a Relay Box. Prior to 07 models it was an integral part of the Fuse Box. It has one contact and the output goes to the Engine Stop Switch.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
the component in the guys hand is a "relay"

edit: I think it's your fuel pump relay

that would cause the engine to die, is there a holder for it, vibration isolator ? not being securely mounted can cause a fuel pump relay to not function properly

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
That's the starter/ ignition relay... There are so many prongs because it is also the turn signal flasher.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been searching for a relay all day for an 07 and no luck so far.
the component in the guys hand is a "relay"

edit: I think it's your fuel pump relay

that would cause the engine to die, is there a holder for it, vibration isolator ? not being securely mounted can cause a fuel pump relay to not function properly
My bike is definitely dieing because it is vibrating loose, but it's weird because it clips right into the fuse housing box. I've tried taping it down.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I'm just hoping it isn't the part it clips into. That seems like it would cost more. ;)

At least I KNOW it's one of the two. I've fiddled w/ it while idleing, and my bike shuts right off.

The closest I've come is a 2004 starter relay. No dice.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the weird thing with that is the fact that it doesn't FEEL loose. It doesn't wiggle a bit. I'll use a zip-tie until I can find a replacement I suppose. It just needs to get warmer here in WI!

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
I have one I'll sell you.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Maybe a silly question but I'll ask anyway....

You sure your fiddling with it isn't affecting the Tip-Over Sensor causing the bike to quit?

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Yes I can take a picture of it for you if you like but I am positive it is the same thing. When I was installing my vapor gauges I blew the neutral light relay (which is also in this box) and then later down the line I blew the turn signal relay so I have replaced it twice. I managed to get my hands on an extra one just to have but now I have everything wired correctly so I don't need it.

I will post a picture up tomorrow for you.

·
Registered
795 Posts
IIRC, the tip over sensor is on the front of the battery box, so that's not likely your problem.

While this relay may not feel loose in its socket, all you can really tell by wiggling it, is that it's coupled OK mechanically ... nothing at all about the electrical contacts. You might try tightening up the female contacts with a jewelers screwdriver to close them up a bit, just in case your problem is a loose connection.

Hope this helps,
.. Gregg

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
You could always use a meter to measure continuity inside the relay. That is how I discovered mine was blown.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
While this relay may not feel loose in its socket, all you can really tell by wiggling it, is that it's coupled OK mechanically ... nothing at all about the electrical contacts. You might try tightening up the female contacts with a jewelers screwdriver to close them up a bit, just in case your problem is a loose connection.

Hope this helps,
.. Gregg
I'll definitely try to close them up a bit.
I just want to thank you all for the help so far. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts