Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm itching for a project car and I stumbled upon this. Let me know what you think of it or what you'd be wary of. I know it's ended but I'm trying to get a feel for what I'd be getting myself into.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...PageName=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123#ht_500wt_1182

I figure the minimum I'd be looking at replacing the front driver's fender, wheel, suspension, headlight and bumper. At worst, the frame would need straightening, mounts on the front frame for the suspension would be snapped, among many other possible nightmares. What do you guys think? Estimated cost to fix it? I would be doing all labor myself and sourcing all parts used.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I'm just curious, but have you ever done body work or repaired a salvaged car yourself? I would be more curious of your experience first than to tell you a "yea or nay" answer on a salvaged project.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've fixed my own boo-boos before, including a buckled floor, gas tank replacement, bent control arms, some engine work and then there's the basic maintenance (not all my boo-boos, my sisters helped with some of those). My Dad used to wrench on cars for a part time job and he raised me doing all the work on our cars that we could without super expensive equipment. He also has painting experience since he used to work in a spray booth for DuPont, but now he's management so I'm sure he's forgotten it all :evil6:.

As for doing body work, nothing beyond filling some rust, sanding and touching up. I was planning on getting a whole panel to replace the fender, it seems pretty far gone.

I was hoping that this would be my foray into getting my hands seriously dirty and making the car my own. Anything jump out at you as experience that I would need?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Sounds better than someone who just knows how to change oil and spark plugs :D

After looking at the pics, I honestly wouldn't touch it. It has a lot of damage and the end result wouldn't net you an amazing car. It's not even a Turbo model, not sure if you noticed that. You will need a pretty good budget for replacement parts. Looks like the FWD drivetrain may have some damage to it(the driver front wheel is busted off the spindle/hub you don't know what internal damage could be on the transmission).

I like where your head is in terms of looking for a project, this one just seems too far gone and not worth the work for the results(assuming you turn it back stock).

After fixing this up, what are your goals with the car? Seeking restoration experience? Looking to just tinker around with something? Going to rally it/race it? Turn it into a show car?

Kind of ironic you are looking at subbies, I have a deep dark fantasy to turn one into a Baja racer.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
salvaged cars should be banned.
That's a bit harsh, my truck has a cracked front grill and bent front fender and bumper. Due to it's age insurance wants it Salvaged. Mechanically, the truck is intact and runs better than when it was new. So you are saying my truck should be banned based on that?

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Plain and simple. A civilized society is no place for salvaged vehicles. I'm going to leave this thread, but if you have a good reason as to why I should own a salvaged vehicle, please start a thread "Should we have salvaged vehicles?" to argue your point.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds better than someone who just knows how to change oil and spark plugs :D

After looking at the pics, I honestly wouldn't touch it. It has a lot of damage and the end result wouldn't net you an amazing car. It's not even a Turbo model, not sure if you noticed that. You will need a pretty good budget for replacement parts. Looks like the FWD drivetrain may have some damage to it(the driver front wheel is busted off the spindle/hub you don't know what internal damage could be on the transmission).

I like where your head is in terms of looking for a project, this one just seems too far gone and not worth the work for the results(assuming you turn it back stock).

After fixing this up, what are your goals with the car? Seeking restoration experience? Looking to just tinker around with something? Going to rally it/race it? Turn it into a show car?

Kind of ironic you are looking at subbies, I have a deep dark fantasy to turn one into a Baja racer.
My thought was to get it and if it was too far gone after some inspection to just part it and make my money back. I did notice that it wasn't turbo, but that can only help insurance rates since I'm in my low 20s. Plus I can always add one :) I was reckoning on about a grand for used parts if everything isn't in the worst case scenario.

I guess I can always go back to looking at miatas, sort of the SV of the motoring world.

Mostly I was looking for a project and a car to call my own which had my own personal sweat blood and tears in it, I could love it and call it my own, and then after a few years it might leave me for another man. I figured it would be nice to meet the need for a car and fill my tinkering desire as well as teach me new skills.

Do you know anywhere I could look to find damaged but not beyond saving cars? fleeBay and autoTrader aren't much help, and craigslist is just flooded with dealer ads.

A Baja racer could be a gargantuan project depending on what level of performance and such you're going for.

Plain and simple. A civilized society is no place for salvaged vehicles. I'm going to leave this thread, but if you have a good reason as to why I should own a salvaged vehicle, please start a thread "Should we have salvaged vehicles?" to argue your point.
I sense some pent up energy spilling over from the gun thread ;D

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
You're pretty young and from my personal experience, I wouldn't invest in such a project right up front at your age. That's me though.

You will invest way over $1000 in parts to fix this car. Adding a turbo won't be as efficient as purchasing one with a factory turbo system. You don't know the condition of the engine of this vehicle. A turbo could turn this thing into a grenade and then you will be out the repair money, the cost of the turbo kit, and a motor.

Like I said, the Baja is a deep dark fantasy. To build a subbie into a Baja is going to cost me a ton of money. Then the odds of it getting wrecked are pretty high. It would be fun, but I'm not sure I can justify it at this point in my life.

the Miata is a good cheap way to get started. Lot's of guy starting out racing where I live choose the miata or the SN95 Mustang. Both are pretty cheap to obtain and to enter a stock class you can weight reduce it as much as possible and keep it original(performance wise). If you want to own something and tinker with it, that would be a great start. Then you can decide if you want to keep going and advance on another vehicle, or get into something else.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You're pretty young and from my personal experience, I wouldn't invest in such a project right up front at your age. That's me though.

You will invest way over $1000 in parts to fix this car. Adding a turbo won't be as efficient as purchasing one with a factory turbo system. You don't know the condition of the engine of this vehicle. A turbo could turn this thing into a grenade and then you will be out the repair money, the cost of the turbo kit, and a motor.

Like I said, the Baja is a deep dark fantasy. To build a subbie into a Baja is going to cost me a ton of money. Then the odds of it getting wrecked are pretty high. It would be fun, but I'm not sure I can justify it at this point in my life.

the Miata is a good cheap way to get started. Lot's of guy starting out racing where I live choose the miata or the SN95 Mustang. Both are pretty cheap to obtain and to enter a stock class you can weight reduce it as much as possible and keep it original(performance wise). If you want to own something and tinker with it, that would be a great start. Then you can decide if you want to keep going and advance on another vehicle, or get into something else.
Hmm, I'll have to look into the miata I have my eye on then. Plus they're always good for an engine swap and suspension/brake upgrades down the road if you want more power. That's a sick dream of mine, dropping Ford's new 302 in a miata. :naughty:

Edit: Why don't you recommend a project for younger guys?

And yeah, but a 2.5 should offer plenty without a turbo.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
you can fix it, i did that to one of my imprezas

got hit on the corner light by a truck. had the frame pulled about 5inches forward 2 inches wide. replaced fender and front end wih new radiator support and tada:

but i got the car for around $500 and put about $600 into the frame work and body pannels to make it look like you see. another $500 in paint and it would have been impressive.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

got hit on the corner light by a truck. had the frame pulled about 5inches forward 2 inches wide. replaced fender and front end wih new radiator support and tada:

but i got the car for around $500 and put about $600 into the frame work and body pannels to make it look like you see. another $500 in paint and it would have been impressive.
Yeah, that adds up pretty fast and I'm going to be taking classes in the Fall and Spring. If it comes up for sale again later and I have the scratch I may just buy it and if it's ok work on it, or just part it.

In the meantime I pulled the trigger on a '90 Miata. We're the same age so we'll bond :rock:

·
very big dumb
9,048 Posts

or if you had the space and time to chop it up and sell parts, you could probably have turned that $500 into $4000 ;)

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
Salvage bikes are easier to do because they require less special tools, and a smaller budget, so you can pretty much do any bike, but when it comes to cars, no matter what, you're going to have to spend a lot of money, and sometimes require other people's services. Unless the car is a vintage car, hard to find, that you can sell afterwards for a pretty penny, then I see working on salvage cars a total waste fo time and money... that's MHO

1 - 17 of 17 Posts