Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a word of advice. When you are buying a bike, before you ride or trailer it home, call your insurance company and have them put it on your policy. All of them will do this and it only takes a few minutes.
CASE IN POINT: Thursday a friend of mine went to Texas to pick up his dream bike, a yello Ducati 748R. He completes the transaction, trailers the bike and hits the road. A few miles later he hears a horrible scraping sound and looks in his rearview mirrow to see his trailer and newly purchased Ducati flipping down the interstate and into a bridge. Apparently he forgot to put the safety chains on his bumper when he hooked the trailer up and the hitch came loose. He called his insurance company and since he hadn't listed the bike of course it wasn't covered. The insurance company also isn't going to cover the trailer because they say it has to be insured separately. The bike is totalled, the trailer is trashed, and no insurance.... CYA is always the best plan.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Same deal with selling a bike. Make sure you immediately call and cancel your insurance on it. If the new owner wrecks with your policy still in force they may try to claim on it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Soundman - I am not sure, but think a new bike may be covered before calling the insurance co. at least with an automobile they told me it would be.
Perhaps is worthwhile checking with an attorney....

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I should't have used the word "new" in the title of the thread. The bike was a used bike but new to him.

·
Registered
114 Posts
If the "new" bike is replacing an "old" bike - the coverage from the old will extend to the new. But if there were no "old" bike, then you're screwed.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SVKathy said:
If the "new" bike is replacing an "old" bike - the coverage from the old will extend to the new. But if there were no "old" bike, then you're screwed.
I think this only applies if you called the company and told them in advance to drop the old bike and add the new bike.. I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
229 Posts
SVKathy said:
The statement shown above could be true. I am (for 21 years) an insurance agent in Nevada. Look closely at the policy, but what SVKathy said would be true in Nevada. Here is the coverage issue though: if it (the Ducati) is replacing an owned motorcycle WITH physical damage coverage. Collision is the coverage you are looking for.

The trailer is gone though if he did not have the trailer on a policy (auto or seperate).

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
SVKathy said:
depending on your insurance company and insurance regulations in your state, I know that with my insurance company I have up to 30 days to report a new vehicle, whether it is replacing an old one or adding an additional vehicle.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Some one at the insurance company is screwing this guy,...

If I buy a vehicle on a sat evening, and don't tell my insurance guy until monday, It is STILL covered by my insurance.

Sounds like a careful examination of his policy is needed, and possibly a legal opinion from an outside source.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Also, is he speaking with his Agent, or an insurance company home office adjuster? He needs to speak with an adjuster!

·
Registered
120 Posts
that my dreambike also omg

id paint it black but omg i would kill myself if that happened to me

I had one of those. I was stupid enough to sell it so i could get a jeep. but hey live and learn. i got my baby duc now

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
when i bought my 05 new, i did the deal on a weds, p/u the bike on fri, called the ins co weds with the vin, everything was cool on fri when i rode home!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts