Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys i'm new around here and i'm looking for a SV 650 2k4 or so, I would like to know if anyone of you have ever imported a bike from US to Quebec or canada? I think it might be a good idea... or not... ?

Anyone... shipping cost, inspection of the bike, SAAQ, taxes, customs fees ???

Is it possible ? Does it worth it ? :rolleyes:

Thank you !

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think it is not worth the trouble, unless you have super deal that you have one for under 3000. Maybe it could be less money spent, but more time lost for inpection and all. Here you could find one for about 4000, especially because the season is coming to an end.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It would be cheaper to buy a used one here in Canada. The only way it would be cheaper would to buy brand new in the states. Some bikes like the 2008 Honda CBR1000RR are still available new in the US for $7000! Where dealers in Canada are having a hard time unloading these and still asking around $12,000

·
Registered
162 Posts
it is Very much so more worth buying a bike in Canada
My dad bought his girlfriends GS in NY on Ebay and it was not Too bad getting it here (he went and picked it up) but he is buying another Ducati 998FE from Alaska, and it is shaping up to be a pain in the a**. Needing a Letter Of Recall from the manufacture (upwards of 500$ and bike HAS to be inspected by a dealer) R.I.V (registration of imported vehicle).

Some dealers in the US bikes are NOT able to be sold to Canadian residence from what i was told by a salesmen at TT Cycles in Michigan due to the economy or some garbage..

Easiest thing to do.. buy one in Canada, i bought my 04 650s for 3600 with a full exhaust, full fairings, and a bunch of other goodies. the deals Are out there.. you just need to look

·
Registered
139 Posts
I suppose you ask this because of their very high price here because of the licence plates cost.

people outside quebec should be informed on how it works here:

when there is an accident, damages to vehicles are paid by the insurance companies. the physical damage on riders and their clothing/protective equipment are paid by the SAAQ, which is the governmental organization that take care of emitting driver licenses and vehicle immatriculations.

Of course a bike crash is way worse for the rider than a car crash is for its drivers. So it cost way more to the SAAQ for health car and clothing of motorcyclists than cagers. Now they decided sport bikes where more risky than the others. Because this is what the young people like and make stupid stunts with. so the SAAQ decided to split bike into different categories. you have bikes below 401cc (up to 400) which are "cheap" to imatriculate... they are still what... 2 times the price of a car... but for 6 months only... lol.

then you have 2 different categories that are above 400cc, wich are sport bikes (SS and HS), and the rest (customs, tourings, and sport tourings). that second class is 660$ per year in licensing, while SS and HS are 1400$ per year to immatriculate. of course when I say "per year" its actually for 6 months...

They do not base that proce on your driving record. So you can be the best rider in the country, you pay 1400$... and you can be the worst, you'll still pay 1400$.

what this did is that nobody wants SS bikes, they are way too expensive to immatriculate. So what happened is that the price of used (and even brand new)SS bikes went down DRAMATICALLY, while the prices of sport touring, expecially the SV, since it is pretty close to be a SS, went UP dramatically. A '00 SV650S will be like what... 4000$? while a '00 Gixxer 1000 will be like 2000 - 2500... lol. it'll have 100x the power, braking capability, and all, but be half the price.

so this is why he probably want to gt a bike outside canada so he can pay it cheaper than here since you guys aren't in the same situation we are.

but I guess you should look for a canadian bike rather than a US one. You'll have the speedo in KPH, and won't have to pay for customs. you WILL have to have the bike inspected by the SAAQ though, but it would also be the case with a US bike.

·
Registered
139 Posts
It would be cheaper to buy a used one here in Canada. The only way it would be cheaper would to buy brand new in the states. Some bikes like the 2008 Honda CBR1000RR are still available new in the US for $7000! Where dealers in Canada are having a hard time unloading these and still asking around $12,000

but even so, with the customs, it wouldn't be that much of an advantage. I know a Subaru WRX STi is about 4000 - 5000$ to pass the border(I though about buying one from the states)... dont know if its a fixed rate or it depends on the price of the vehicle... maybe you would save a tad, but not that much, and I doubt that it would be worth the trouble. also sometimes dealers don't want to work under guarantee when the vehicle comes from the states.

·
Premium Member
4,092 Posts
I am here wez...

I bought my 2005 from a member of the site and....

I met them in PA to pick up the bike. Then crossing the boarder home i declared the bike. these were the costs at the boarder...

RIV fee - $200
the gst for purchase price of the bike - depends what the bike costs

Then once you get the bike home you can take it to Canadian tire to have the RIV package done, no cost to do this since you paid the $200 at the boarder. Then you get a safety done, about $75. and then you go and license the bike where you will pay the other tax (pst) and the licensing fee.

All said and done i bought the bike for $4500 USD and after all was said and done it cost me about $5300 CAN. The dollar was REALLY good at the time, so that helped the exchange rate.

·
Registered
674 Posts
For a used SV, I don't think it would be worth it, unless the bike was already very cheap. SV's are 'cheap' bikes (as in, inexpensive) as it is, so I doubt after fees, RIV, duty, taxes, you'd save much buying in the US.

I tried finding my Buell in the US, and there is about a $3000 price difference between Canada and the US on them, but after all the fees and PITA, I only would have saved a couple hundred bucks. So I bought in Quebec.

·
Registered
139 Posts
For a used SV, I don't think it would be worth it, unless the bike was already very cheap. SV's are 'cheap' bikes (as in, inexpensive) as it is, so I doubt after fees, RIV, duty, taxes, you'd save much buying in the US.

SVs are not inexpensive in quebec.

you can get a CBR 600 for under 1800$ (a tad older than the SV but anyway), while you wont find many SVs under 4000. we get raped on the license plates for supersport bikes, so their price dropped while sport touring bikes's price went up spectacularily.

·
Registered
530 Posts
If it's new, I would defiantly buy from the States.

Daytona 675, $8900 OTD from New York + $1400 total charges to bring it to Canada
Dayonta 675, $14900 OTD from Ontario
CBR1000RR, $14000 OTD from New York + $1800 total charges to bring it to Canada
CBR1000RR, $19500 OTD from Ontario

Neighbor bought a $9000 Honda ATV from Ohio for $4500... Didn't even get charged at the border since he didn't plan on getting it insured in the future and they didn't ask.

Way too much money lost by buying from Canada.

I had a friend a few years ago mass import brand-new Gixxer 600/750's when the Canadian dollar towered the American from a giant wholeseller in Ohio. I don't remember the figures, but he bought them for about 3500 below American MSRP, so about $5500 for a brand-new 600, and $6100 for a brand-new 750. He resold them in Canada and made about 3 grand profit per bike, while the stealerships wanted $13, 000 - $14, 000 grand per. I would have bought one easily, but thanks to Ontario insurance being ******* retarded I passed up on the deal and bought an SV. ******* taunted me too, said he'd even sell me one at cost. I think he imported over 80 bikes total and sold them all within 3 months.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm not sure about everyone else, but I'm finding much better deals in the Northern States then in southern Ontario. 2002-2006's in Ontario are selling for $5000+ it seems, where in the states they are going for $3,000-$4,000. If i'm going to drive 4 hours to Toronto to pick it up, I'll sure as hell drive to NY to save a couple grand. I've dealt with the border 3 times now, and no problems. Riv fee, airconditioning tax (for cars) and GST on purchase price as Zuki mentioned. I've always saved money (last purchase was a 2008 Yamaha Nytro X-FX from Michigan)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts