Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have already drilled six holes around the inner exhaust pipe, which made it sound better. I am debating on removing that restrictor pipe, but I'm undecided.

I'm wondering if anyone has taken the time to record the stock exhaust and then record the exhaust after the mufflerectomy. Got any sound files?

Edit: I've already read all the articles on how to modify the exhaust and everyones opinions, but I'd like to hear it for myself before I do it. Anyone fairly local to me that's done this?

·
Registered
398 Posts
axeman said:
I have already drilled six holes around the inner exhaust pipe, which made it sound better. I am debating on removing that restrictor pipe, but I'm undecided.

I'm wondering if anyone has taken the time to record the stock exhaust and then record the exhaust after the mufflerectomy. Got any sound files?

Edit: I've already read all the articles on how to modify the exhaust and everyones opinions, but I'd like to hear it for myself before I do it. Anyone fairly local to me that's done this?
Well stock is like a sewing machine

drilled is like an angry lawn mower.

removed is like a v-twin.

It doesnt get much louder when you remove the restrictor, the tone just improves.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Drill it. You'll think it's ok. But you won't be satisfied. Then you'll pony up and order a full Muzzy... Only then will you find what you seek...

·
Registered
326 Posts
ebbtide said:
Drill it. You'll think it's ok. But you won't be satisfied. Then you'll pony up and order a full Muzzy... Only then will you find what you seek...
:roll:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
judging by these responses, it's totally subjective, as i knew it would be.

·
Registered
241 Posts
If your on a budget like many of us, drill it and remove the restrictor. The tone greatly improves and the best part is its free. I did mine last night and I find it a very good compromise between stock and slip-on or full exhaust. The only tiny complaint I have about it is it moved my sweet spot of power up by about 1000 rpm from about 5500 to around 6500-7000. not a big deal, juts something to get used to again.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
thor310 said:
Has anyone gotten a ticket for their exhaust being too loud after drilling or completely removing the muffler?
Do you really mean "removing the muffler? Or do you mean the silencer tube? It's nowhere near as loud as most aftermarket cans for our bikes with just the silencer tube removed.

·
Registered
368 Posts
ShaggyZ said:
Do you really mean "removing the muffler? Or do you mean the silencer tube? It's nowhere near as loud as most aftermarket cans for our bikes with just the silencer tube removed.
I'm not really sure what part is what...everyone seems to call it a mufflerectomy, so i assume that the tube removed is the muffler? what's the baffle?

I'm going to try drilling a couple holes first. So based on your answer, I'm assuming that it's not likely for a cop to ticket me for the increase in noise (since it wont even be as loud as most aftermarket exhausts).

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
I have the baffles drilled on my bike (restrictor still there) and it sounds nice. I was in boston and saw a nake dive by with a Yoshi pipe on WOW did it sound nice!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
NHSVnaked said:
I have the baffles drilled on my bike (restrictor still there) and it sounds nice.  I was in boston and saw a nake dive by with a Yoshi pipe on WOW did it sound nice!!!!!!
And when you have a full system with big jets you can get foot long flames to shoot out the can when you bounce it off the rev limiter ;)

·
Registered
368 Posts
i just drilled a couple holes (1/4") into the restrictor.
The bass at idle increased significantly. At higher RPMs the engine's louder than the exhaust so it's hard to tell.

Maybe i'll get a sound clip up if anyone wants to hear it, but it's nothing that hasn't been posted before.

·
Registered
2 Posts
so my question now after reading all of these... i just got my sv650s.. and i really wanna get rid of the riding lawnmower sound but i'm broke...very broke to be precise.. so how to do a proper mufflerectomy? ive heard drill 4 1/4" into the baffle... what exactly is the baffle.. i was told i would need a 13in long 1/4in extension to do this? lol so my question is to get better sound without f**king sh*t up

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
You don't know what the bike really sounds like. The only way to hear the real sound is to follow someone else riding your (or an identical) bike or to have someone ride by while you stand by the road.

I prefer stealthy and quiet. The bike has a very nice exhaust note to others.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I just completely chopped my stock can (new custom internals) and took some pics of the internal baffling system...most of you probably haven't seen what exactly you're removing (and how much is left after a mufflerectomy)...I'll post the pics tomorrow. The internal baffling is quite amazing....and quite heavy. My new exhaust uses part of the stock can (chopped to 16" overall length) with a new core, packing, and endcap. I'll post pics of that tomorrow as well.

Spence

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
SpencyG said:
I just completely chopped my stock can (new custom internals) and took some pics of the internal baffling system...most of you probably haven't seen what exactly you're removing (and how much is left after a mufflerectomy)...I'll post the pics tomorrow. The internal baffling is quite amazing....and quite heavy. My new exhaust uses part of the stock can (chopped to 16" overall length) with a new core, packing, and endcap. I'll post pics of that tomorrow as well.

Spence
I had thought of that but just haven't had the means. I will likely do it within the next month or two... or maybe not. I may just shorten mine.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Vio said:
If your on a budget like many of us, drill it and remove the restrictor. The tone greatly improves and the best part is its free. I did mine last night and I find it a very good compromise between stock and slip-on or full exhaust. The only tiny complaint I have about it is it moved my sweet spot of power up by about 1000 rpm from about 5500 to around 6500-7000. not a big deal, juts something to get used to again.
Has anyone else that did the mufflerectomy had this sort of powerband move? It would seem to me that a move that large would mean the air/fuel would have slightly changed? Or just a huge loss in backpressure? I could be talking out my *ss but that kind of change seems rather significant to me.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
I had less low-end torque and less engine braking; but there was definitely an increase in top-end power. This was all expected but not to so great a degree. I didn't like it much at first but got used to it within a week

·
Registered
31 Posts
So whats the verdict? How many holes and what size drill bit to use? Also does someone have some photos that they can post to give us an idea of where to drill?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts