Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone had any good places in Colorado for sight-seeing? Which roads have the best twisties and best scenery? I plan on touring the south-central part as well as the norh-central (west of Denver). Anything that I really need to worry about?
Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
786 Posts
tons of roads to ride around here! register with www.cosportbikeclub.org and ask around there. you should get tons of replies. I have mostly only done the southern roads between Colorado Springs and Denver. But there are some sweet roads up north of Denver. The only real problem is, is that a lot of them are in Gilpin County and the sherrifs are asses up there.....

We have the mountains! There are all sorts of twisties!

E

·
0 Posts
I go there often on bike trips and for work. Here's a suggestions for you:

Rabbit Ears Pass ? Route 40 13 miles east of Steamboat

Ouray Loop:

Start in Ridgway on Rte. 62 heading east to Rte. 550. Take that road south all the way to Durango.
From Durango, get on Rte. 160 heading west towards Mesa Verde National Park and the town of Cortez.
Before you get to Cortez, you need to turn north on Rte 145 and that will take you all the way up to Telluride.

Route 40
Granby (after hitting Rocky Nat?l) to Steamboat (77 miles)

Mount Evans Loop: **( a ?Must Do? route)
Take I-70 (west out of Denver or East out of Georgetown) to Idaho Springs and exit at exit #240/Route 103 south. You would just take 103 about south for about 12 miles.
"Mt Evans Highway"/state route 5 which is where the real fun (and this motorcycle road) begin. Head up into MT Evans on the MT Evans highway/SR 5 ? one way trip is about 12 miles ? round trip of course being about 24 miles (25 miles)

Independence Pass / State Route 82:
Access this route from the west by just getting to Aspen and heading East out of town on state route 82!
- If you're coming from the east (ex. Denver) you can just take I-70 west into the mountains and exit onto state route 24 right around Vail, CO. Take s.r. 24 past Leadville and look for the signs to Twin Lakes, CO and state route 82. Take 82 West to/through Independence Pass and on to Aspen.

Wolf Creek Pass from Monte Vista to Durango:
Begin in Monte Vista and take Route 160 West to Durango (127 miles)

Gunnison to Crawford on hwy 92:
West out of Gunnison on Route 50/92 to Crawford. Passes along Blue Mesa Reservoir and through Curecanti National Recreation area. Did this with Dave a few years back.

Poudre Canyon west out of Fort Collins:
Take Route 34 between Loveland and Estes Park. Get some jerky at the bottom of the canyon. See some mule deer.

E

·
0 Posts
If you've never been there, I 'd list Mount Evans and the Million Dollar Highway (Route 550) out of Ouray as the best roads. But I'm sure others will challenge that.

All of the roads are pretty decent and the scenery is excellent. The tighter roads aren;'t really all that "twisty" as compared to eastern USA's twisties - but the views are much better.

I'll be there August 12-20th - be sure to wave if ya see me :lol:
Enjoy!

Eric

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for replies!

Just wanted to say thanks for the replies. This will really help me. I'm sorry but I won't see u Earache because I leave July 25 and get back around Aug. 3.

Earache,
Are u going out on interstate 70 from Indy or are u going out another way?
I will be going with some older men that have Goldwings and we will be going out there on route 36.

Earache said:
If you've never been there, I 'd list Mount Evans and the Million Dollar Highway (Route 550) out of Ouray as the best roads. But I'm sure others will challenge that.

All of the roads are pretty decent and the scenery is excellent. The tighter roads aren;'t really all that "twisty" as compared to eastern USA's twisties - but the views are much better.

I'll be there August 12-20th - be sure to wave if ya see me :lol:
Enjoy!

Eric

E

·
0 Posts
Re: Thanks for replies!

Earache,
Are u going out on interstate 70 from Indy or are u going out another way?
I will be going with some older men that have Goldwings and we will be going out there on route 36.

I'm meeting a bunch from Chicago in Omaha, so I'll take I-74 to the Quad Cities and then I-80 to Denver.

We only have a week to do our trip so we need to get past Denver as quickly as possible. Not much to see between Indy and Denver anyway - at least not compared to what's on the west side of Denver.

Have a good trip!

Eric

1 - 7 of 7 Posts