1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
site supporter
6,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
OberKommandant
6,127 Posts
The ones I've seen had some sort of bar on either end to attach straps to, not very secure in my opinion, but I'd have to see one actually set up with a bike on it to really be able to critique it. I'm sure there are better options out there, what are you using as the tow vehicle?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've always thought they look like they would roll/twist and break. I think Cycle World gave them an okay rating a while back though.

·
OberKommandant
6,127 Posts
I think Cycle World gave them an okay rating a while back though.
I wonder how much CW got paid for that endorsement. I'm usually a bit skeptical of magazines pushing a product.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
IIRC, it's rated for up to 450 lbs., so it should just barely handle an SV. I'd be more concerned about what it was attached to. Unless it's a truck with a fairly sturdy hitch and tall/stiff suspension, you could be in for a surprise the first time you hit a big bump.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I've seen dirtbikes on heaver versions of that (all under 300lbs). That model is only for a regular receiver, most of the ones I've seen are for heavier duty receivers.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Those are mostly for dirt bikes which tend to be light (2 strokes 190-210lbs, 4 strokes 200-250lbs roughly). I wouldn't trust an SV on it.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
I've used them hauling dirt bikes before. One guy I used to ride with had one, we would put one bike in the bed, one on the hitch carrier. Always worked well enough, we never lost a bike anyway :). Those have been around a LONG time. I obviously have never hauled a street bike on one though.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
I've seen dirtbikes on heaver versions of that (all under 300lbs). That model is only for a regular receiver, most of the ones I've seen are for heavier duty receivers.
Those are mostly for dirt bikes which tend to be light (2 strokes 190-210lbs, 4 strokes 200-250lbs roughly). I wouldn't trust an SV on it.
They are marketed for dirtbike use, but some models are rated to 500 lbs. (others to only 250 lbs.). The only thing limiting its use for street bikes is GVW. An SV should work on one with a 500 lb. rating. A fully-fueled SV is around 440-ish.

http://www.motorcyclecarrier.net/

·
OberKommandant
6,127 Posts
+1

Me, too.

I saw a guy loading a big heavy cruiser onto one of these a few days ago. I talked with him for a couple of minutes and I had a good look at it. Verdict: Very sturdy and solid quality. I'd buy one.
That looks pretty trick, I would use that before the thing that Jim linked to. The thing I can't figure out is, they seem to be using straps to hold the back of the bike down, but I've recently heard this isn't necessary. ;)

S

·
0 Posts
Probably just in case you hit a really big bump... to ensure the rear tire doesn't jump out of the channel.

....The thing I can't figure out is, they seem to be using straps to hold the back of the bike down, but I've recently heard this isn't necessary. ;)

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
They are marketed for dirtbike use, but some models are rated to 500 lbs. (others to only 250 lbs.). The only thing limiting its use for street bikes is GVW. An SV should work on one with a 500 lb. rating. A fully-fueled SV is around 440-ish.

http://www.motorcyclecarrier.net/

It doesn't matter what the deck is rated for if it's mated to a reciever with a lower rating. The one that Fatass posted up is made to fit a class II hitch receiver which is only rated to 350lbs (that's bike and carrier). I'm not even sure I'd trust one of these on a class III hitch with an SV or anything bigger than it.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
It doesn't matter what the deck is rated for if it's mated to a reciever with a lower rating. The one that Fatass posted up is made to fit a class II hitch receiver which is only rated to 350lbs (that's bike and carrier). I'm not even sure I'd trust one of these on a class III hitch with an SV or anything bigger than it.
Understood. I wasn't commenting directly on the one fatass pictured, as I assumed it was just an example and not the exact model that was offered to him. As someone else pointed out, these style carriers are nothing new. I was simply pointing out that they're not just for dirt bikes; an SV will work on one.

Since you can get a Class III hitch tongue weight to 600 lbs, I don't see why it couldn't be trusted to carry the carrier plus an SV. No, I wouldn't try to haul a cruiser this way.

EDIT: I looked up the link fatass posted. It says it is rated to carry bikes up to 500 lbs., and that it hooks up to a 2-inch receiver bar (so, no, it's not made for a Class II hitch), which means you could load an SV onto the exact one fatass pictured, with a 2 inch Class III or greater square receiver, no problem.

Also, go back and read my earlier post. I already pointed out the hitch and suspension issues involved with using one of these.

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
I have one for my quad and I love it. it holds up to 700lbs., but you need to see what the hitch is rated for.
It's better than pulling a trailer around. and I was thinking of using it to haul my bike this summer to deals gap.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Since a Class III hitch tongue weight is to 600 lbs, I don't see why it couldn't be trusted to carry the carrier plus an SV.
Well, 600 lb tongue weight doesn't normally twist back and forth; there is normally ZERO torque on it. It seems possible that it could exert some forces the hitch designer could not have planned for.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
a guy at my work uses one on his ford escape. has a yamaha 250 that he transports on it. looks pretty solid and secure. i wouldn't trust anything but a dirtbike on it though.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Well, 600 lb tongue weight doesn't normally twist back and forth....
Really? I'm not so sure about that.

From this website:
http://www.discountramps.com/smc-600-motorcycle-hauler.htm

Motorcycle Carrier / Vehicle Limitations:
  • Carrier Carrying Capacity: The SMC-600R carrier is designed to safely carry 600 lbs.
  • Never exceed the maximum tongue weight rating of your trailer hitch (check the weight sticker on the trailer hitch)
  • Total hauling weight is calculated by adding the total weight of the motorcycle + 99 lbs (SMC-600R weight)
  • Hitch Weigh Limit: Most Class III hitches are rated for 500 lbs. Most Class IV hitches are rated for 1000 lbs
  • Some vehicles may require air shocks or heavier springs to stiffen up the suspension to prevent sagging
  • Please check with the dealer or manufacturer to determine the carrying / hauling capacity of your vehicle
  • Will not work with 1-1/4" class II or smaller receivers

1 - 20 of 36 Posts