Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes Im a puss/wuss/baby

I am scared to do two things.

#1 wash my bike - Altho I have once (full water wash down not just spray polish & chammy which I do ALOT), I am always worried I might get something wet I shouldnt or something might need lube & I have forgotten.

#2 putting air in my tires.
I Havent had to yet but I am even scared to do this in my own car. Why? Because last time I did it in my old car, the tire blew up and it was like 10PSI away from minimum!!! SO yeah I am always skerrd I might blow up a tire and well on a bike u cant really change it out on the spot.

Riding wise im not so much scared of things as I am cautious, im still new so I take EVERYTHING easy until it becomes routine. So I cant say im scared of anything riding really...well cept a black cat popping under my tire lol or any animal/car/object for that matter.

What r u skurrd of?

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
#1. Bikes are designed to be ridden in the rain, so parts are protected from both rain and road splash. Use a gentle stream of water, and you will be fine. Using a powerwasher, and forcing the water up from under your bike might cause you some problems. So too would attaching a fire hose to your exhaust. Other than that, don't worry about it.

#2. I've been driving for over 30 years and riding for about 28+, and have never had a tire blow up. That car tire must have been very old, or had a major flaw. Either way, maintaining the proper air in your tires, especially on a bike is a must, so you'll just need to get over it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I spray the **** out of my bike.

As far as tires go, you've had a bad experience, but that is one in a million. i worked at a shop as a tire tech for 2 years and never had one blow up on me.

·
Registered
756 Posts
#1. Bikes are designed to be ridden in the rain, so parts are protected from both rain and road splash. Use a gentle stream of water, and you will be fine. Using a powerwasher, and forcing the water up from under your bike might cause you some problems. So too would attaching a fire hose to your exhaust. Other than that, don't worry about it.

#2. I've been driving for over 30 years and riding for about 28+, and have never had a tire blow up. That car tire must have been very old, or had a major flaw. Either way, maintaining the proper air in your tires, especially on a bike is a must, so you'll just need to get over it.

+1. you're being way paranoid.

Having proper tire pressure is pretty important to having a safe ride. you should get on that.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I'm skurred of taking the engine above 7000 or up to redline for any length of time... Or going WOT.... always think something is going to go BANG and break, or that something is going to blow up.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I'm skurred of taking the engine above 7000 or up to redline for any length of time... Or going WOT.... always think something is going to go BANG and break, or that something is going to blow up.
I hope that is sarcasm, b/c otherwise you haven't even ridden your bike, all the fun happens above 7K :)

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
sell your bike.

this is abuse.

you never take it above 7k??!??!!?!!?!

thats where the fun STARTS!!!

·
Registered
358 Posts

Get out and use that bike!! You dont have to go WOT all the time but dont drive like a grandma!

·
Registered
257 Posts
how is it possible to rarely go over 7k, isn't that dangerous? nothing is going to break, your bike probably has a lot of carbon buildup. think of it as a duty to open her up now and then to clear her out.

·
Registered
54 Posts
how is it possible to rarely go over 7k, isn't that dangerous? nothing is going to break, your bike probably has a lot of carbon buildup. think of it as a duty to open her up now and then to clear her out.
+1 on the 'clearing of the pipes' (ahem)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Large women in small cars and old people driving (worse then student drivers). If you are too old to see over the wheel grandma - its time to give up the keys.

/off soapbox

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh no! i diddnt mean for yall to think i WOULDNT out air in my tires or wadh my bike. i am just cautious of it! i check my pressure all the time and havent done a REAL wash lately just bc the temps have been jumpy and get cold fast at night now that DST came along tho i can finally do a full wash!

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Most of the time when I get on it, I shift around 6-8000, I never really look down at the tach. I did have it opened up a little bit on the highway on saturday, I found out my bar-end mirrors flip back at 120.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I've never used water to wash my bike, but I've spent many hours riding in the rain.

I'm scared of deer. They always pop out when you least expect them. Put six stitches in my knee.

Oh and squirrels. They never can make up their mind on which side of the road to be on, and wind up doing a crazy dance in the middle of the road as I nearly lock up the brakes to keep from hitting them.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts