Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I went and did it. Traded my high-mileage, well used and abused Jeep Wrangler for a 2003 Copper SV650S.
Boy does this thing need some TLC. It's been lowered with links, so as soon as I find a ZX14 shock, it's going back to stock height. And the forks! Oh my, the forks... :facepalm: They're raised in the triples, to make the bike lower in the front. They feel awful, like the oil has turned to sludge. I've got my eye on these: http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153803

Front fairing is rashed, dent in the rear of the tank, which I think a bra will cover nicely until I find that elusive nice copper tank. The Scorpion slip on seems to be falling apart where it mounts to the pipe.

I'm excited I've got a second gen SV now! Guess I can convert my first back to a naked bike....

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't do it!

Why not convert the one that has the rashed up faring?
Haha, cause I've still got all my first gen naked parts that were originally on it.

I'm not going to change it back unless I wreck it or damage the fairings. It was too much time, money and effort buying and painting all the parts to make it an S. Gotta enjoy it more than just a few months.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Congrats on the 2x SV650 status! i popped that cherry this past april when i got my 2nd gen. :p

enjoy the easy cold weather starts!

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
Congrats Andy. It'll be a tough choice which on to bring up next year ;)

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I got the forks rebuilt, .95 springs and emulators, plus a ZX-14 rear shock. Also got rid of the slip on that's falling apart and put the stock exhaust back on it. I took it for a ride, and it needs tires... bad. Front end feels like the tire is horribly out of balance.

Not only that, but it quit on me halfway through my ride. Didn't want to idle, I had to keep on the throttle to get it home. It almost seemed like it was running on one cylinder, will the SV not idle when on one cylinder?
At first I thought it was a bad battery, I did have to charge it before I left. But when I got home, it's sitting at 12.7 volts, and when it's running, it's above 14 volts. I also wonder if it has some old gas in it too. I don't think it's been run in awhile, when I bought it, the guy didn't have it plated, so I don't think it's been out much. But after I got it home and let it sit awhile, it seems to idle fine, so I don't know. :dontknow: I hate intermittent driveability problems.

I guess I'll pull the plugs and look at them next, probably run some seafoam through it too and see what happens.

·
Registered
300 Posts
There probably moisture in the front spark plug. That an there a drain hole up there tat is most likely clogged. Straighten a paper clip or bmget a pipe cleaner (small one) . Change plugs an clean that dirty hole should most likely fix it. Front cylinder goin out BC of this stuff is pretty common. Happens to me with regularity.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Awesome. People take off that snorkel for the purpose of getting bike more air. It seems silly but for sure makes a difference. If you must have one, some peeps use sv1k snorkel as an upgrade.

Btw there's alot of crap on the threads of those plugs. Were they loose? Usually my threads clean just the tip in the motor crappy.

·
Registered
33 Posts
wonder if someone put anti-seize on the threads?

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's winter, and I want to ride so badly, but I've been doing a bit of work on the bike instead. I thought I'd provide a little update as to how my bike has been transforming into my ultimate sport touring machine.

I found a straight front rim and had a PR3 mounted on it. A couple months later I had the rear PR3 installed, love those tires.

I sold my blue 1st gen. I debated keeping it, parting it out, turning it back into a naked bike. I eventually decided that I didn't really need two bikes, if I was going to ride one, it would be the 03, I like it better. Another forum member bought it, I hope he enjoys it and it treats him well.

Inspired by Danimal's JC Whitney luggage, I set out to get my own setup like his. Being that the Givi racks for the SV are hard to find, I got a little creative and made my own system using Givi racks for a Yamaha and a home-made grab bar. Details here:
http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166419

It was even nice enough on January 19th to go for a ride

More awesome mods coming soon!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Welcome to the copper club!

Might I suggest MotoSliders from SVRacingparts.com? They saved my tank from being dented when I went down hard at the track. Still had a bunch of damage, but the tank just got some scratches, but no dent!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts