Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my front tire is almost done and inspection is up this month so i figured i'd yank the wheel and bring it to cycle gear (in plano, tx) with an aged new pilot power i've had sitting around that i got for free from a guy at work. i've always just brought the tires to a place and then went back with the bike and got it done but i figured this would be easy enough. there are several dealers around (closer, actually) but i thought it would be more expensive.

went in at 330pm on wednesday to drop it off, there was 1 wheel in front of me but there was at least 2 guys working and zero customers, guy said he'd call and it would probably be done that night, the next day for sure. went back at 3pm thursday (today) and there were 3 guys behind the counter and zero customers, the wheel was right where i left it, the guy talked some **** about the previous guy being lazy and said it would be done today.

went back at 645 since they close at 7 and the wheel was still sitting in the same place, untouched. there were at least 2 employees and 2 customers, i picked up the tire and wheel, slid the paper (work order?) across the counter to the one guy and told him to keep it since they weren't going to do my tire and then i walked out. he didn't ask for id or anything to make sure i wasn't stealing somebody elses wheel.

unfortunately the dealer closest to them closes well before 7 and i couldn't get to the next closest dealer that does close at 7 on time so i put the wheel back on with the old tire so i could ride tomorrow. i should have just walked back to their equipment and done it myself but the only experience i have changing tires is "helping" r1dave swap my rear last week without any of the right equipment. probably would have taken me 20 minutes to get it mounted and balanced.

i really never go to cycle gear anyway, i think i've bought two pairs of gloves there. i certainly don't go there to try gear on, reviews and sizing charts work fair enough for me. definately not going back. luckily i am now very motivated to buy my own tire changing/balancing stuff.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Sorry for your trouble.

That hasn't been my experience at Cycle Gear. Any time I've needed something from them, they've bent over backwards to help me -- looking up inventory, calling other stores to find stuff, expediting shipping and work. I needed a rear tire from them asap a few months ago. Long story short, I found the odd size I needed with one phone call, and the store that I went to for it put it on my wheel while I waited. And it was 20% off; $20 to install.

Any company is only as good as its employees. Maybe you should make a complaint with their corporate office?

·
Banned
855 Posts
Umm sorry but thats retail. They do that to mitigate insurance and liability, they make employees get certified to change tires. Chances are the guy certified to change tires was being lazy and only did the one tire, and then was not scheduled the next day. This is why I always call in before I go to cycle gear for a tire change. I've had it happen before so I know to call and make sure they can get it done within 2 days.

·
Registered
661 Posts
find somebody local through your local TX sportbike forum or the regional sub-forum here, or take it to Arata's. Lots of people have gotten tired of the exact process you described and paying out the nose for the tire change. I've seen all manner of garage set ups, but the one guy I use the most is 20 minutes from me and has a full hydraulic setup - the thing is baller. I'm not trying to influence whatever Arata might charge, but my guy charges $10 a wheel off the bike, mounted and balanced (I dispose of my old tires responsibly at the local landfill tire drop off). He does an excellent job and is super careful not to scratch anything. He got tired of paying exorbitant dealer or CG tire change prices since he was a regular track day rider and just bought his own setup.

·
Registered
968 Posts
looks like you may have found some weak links there. i've never had a problem. i almost got a job at my local one and my fiancee are constantly in and of there getting stuff so they know us by name.

sucks that you had a problem though. sounds like you need to take the complaint to some management figures instead of scrapping them altogether. i have yet to find somewhere that can mount and balance tires for cheaper than they do it.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Some car tire places can mount motorcycle tires. I went to the shop I always take my car to and he said it'll take about an hour. Came back in 30 minutes and they were all sitting around, asked if it was finished, he said of course. Charged me $10, cheapest I've ever paid.

Have to look around. I know of atleast 2-3 people locally that do it for $20-25 off the bike but weren't available with my schedule. Get to know your local riders, chances are they can help you out.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Go to FiveStar in Garland. Really helpful guys... Sponsors on the local motodfw board etc. I've only bought tires from them since I mount my own, but I've yet to hear a complaint on them

·
Premium Member
3,472 Posts
You should contact CG corporate and tell them " I'm never going to that CG store again!"
Either it's a company store or a franchise store. Either way Corporate can and should BigFoot it.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I've often wondered why the vast majority of car tire shops don't do bike tires. Is it the equipment cost? Training?

Back on topic: My attitude is, after 3 strikes, you're out. If you're not gonna do something when you say you will then you lost my business. And if you go to complain to Corporate don't think for a minute those clowns will forget it when you bring your bike back. I would either get the equipment and do it myself or take it to another shop.

·
MOTORADOR
10,956 Posts
Never had any problems with them.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
there's one shop i've used a couple times that's done it for 25 bucks a wheel on the bike but it's kinda shady and like 45 minutes away, cg is only 15-20 minutes.

ennis is kinda far, arata. not sure what i'm doing yet but i'll let you know if i need you.

dave i don't know what machine they have but apparently this cg uses a ladder to balance the wheels and recommends removing the brake rotors in case the wheel gets knocked over in the store and gets damaged. they just leave the wheels and tires laying against the front counter instead of keeping them out of the way back by the tire equipment for some reason, maybe they all do that but it's just stupid.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
That sucks, my first time at a local cycle gear i brought in a wheel and asked for a new tire. I was first in the door , knew the tire i wanted, Said it would be a 24hr turnaround. Said ok, but i know what it takes to mount a tire, if you could mount it in less than 2 hours i can take my bike to work.

He got it back in an hour and was cool to go, all the while when they were mounting the tire they were helpfull, informative etc. Every time i go in there always genuinely caring.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I've often wondered why the vast majority of car tire shops don't do bike tires. Is it the equipment cost? Training?
it's the lack of equipment. The big pneumatic car tire machines can't mount motorcycle wheels on them. So then you'd have to buy extra machines and have extra training for a comparatively low volume service

there's one shop i've used a couple times that's done it for 25 bucks a wheel on the bike but it's kinda shady and like 45 minutes away, cg is only 15-20 minutes.
Lol, might be 5star then! It looks shady as hell, but they carry Pures as cheap as I can find them online.

If you can't find anyone else, drop me a line we migt be able to work out a time when I could do them (for Shiner)

·
Registered
38 Posts
You could always make a complaint to a manager. They aren't always aware of lazy employees.
I agree, people at CycleGear have always been very helpful. If the manager doesn't seem to care, just send corporate an email. Don't let those workers off easy.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've had decent service and crappy service at CG. Just a cross section of society working there. Some care and some don't.

What I find more disturbing is the fact that the stores only seem to stock their house brands of low quality Chinese made garbage.

There is not much else to choose from.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
I've had decent service and crappy service at CG. Just a cross section of society working there. Some care and some don't.

What I find more disturbing is the fact that the stores only seem to stock their house brands of low quality Chinese made garbage.

There is not much else to choose from.
The Bilt and Sedici stuff really isn't that bad.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts