Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning, have an '02 sv650 and my fork seals are leaking. I've got a way to put the bike up but not exactly sure of the disassemble process. any pointers? printed out the manual (pdf) format

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
its um, kinda complicated if you dont know what your doing. My recomendation is try to find somebody in your area that knows what they are doing that will either do you a favor or do it for cheap.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what about taking the forks off? there's a shop nearby, but they're pretty expensive, is it possible to just remove the forks, let them do the seals/fluid, then reinstall myself?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Not sure, you should call them and ask.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Fork removal isn't exceptionally hard provided you've got some mechanical aptitude. You need to make sure you have the bike stabilized and off the front wheel.

Basically you are going to:

1. Lift & stabilize bike

2. Remove calipers

3. Remove front wheel

4. Remove Fender

5. Loosen clipons (if you have an S model)

6. Loosen upper triple tree clamps

7. You may want to loosen your fork caps to make it easier for the shop to get them off so they don't ding the crap ou tof them.

8. Loosen lower tree clamps and slide the forks out.

Again, you need to make absolutely sure your bike is secure. When not using a front stand, I like to put a 2x4 or pipe through under the front cylinder and stabilize it with jackstands on each side. I always leave a floor jack under the bike taking a little pressure as well (I use a small piece of 2x4 between the jack & engine, I don't know if it is really necessary.)

When you reassemble, pay attention in the manual to the order, it is important for proper wheel alignment.

good luck.

FWIW, I can remove forks in under 15 minutes when pressed, but I"ve done it quite a few times.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts