Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Administrator
11,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because I cannot hide it anymore, I was born like this!

... Hispanic, that is ;D

Sent from inside the matrix

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Finally, a way to tell if you are gay or straight: Do you prefer burritos or tacos?

·
Administrator
11,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hahaha!! We'll I'm white but that's not on there, so I guess I'm unsure?!?!
Hint: Race is not the same as ethnicity.

Examples of ethnicity: Hispanic, Anglo-, Franco-, Afro-, Arab, Cossack, Indo-, Slav... and the list goes on and on.

Races: White, black, native american, asian, pacific islander.

I, personally, am of white race and Hispanic-Mexican ethnicity.

// End of geeky cultural lesson. Did I kill my own joke?

Has it changed your life for the better?
Yes, ever since I found out, I feel more comfortable eating at Del Taco and adding more spices to my food. I've lost many friends, though :(

·
Registered
808 Posts
True, but race itself is a complete social construct, historically utilized for the sole purpose of justifying colonization and imperialism.

Congrats on coming out, though.

:eek:ccasion14:

Hint: Race is not the same as ethnicity.

Examples of ethnicity: Hispanic, Anglo-, Franco-, Afro-, Arab, Cossack, Indo-, Slav... and the list goes on and on.

Races: White, black, native american, asian, pacific islander.

I, personally, am of white race and Hispanic-Mexican ethnicity.

// End of geeky cultural lesson. Did I kill my own joke?

Yes, ever since I found out, I feel more comfortable eating at Del Taco and adding more spices to my food. I've lost many friends, though :(

·
Administrator
11,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
True, but race itself is a complete social construct, historically utilized for the sole purpose of justifying colonization and imperialism.

Congrats on coming out, though.

:eek:ccasion14:

No, ethnicity is a social construct based on country/region of origin, beliefs, culture, education, wants, etc.

Race is not a social construct, it's information embedded in your genes and it shows as physiological features on your body (mostly in the color of your skin) wether you like it or not.

Sent from under your bed

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
No, ethnicity is a social construct based on country of origin, religion, culture, education, wants, etc.

Race is not a social construct, it's information embedded in your genes and it shows as physiological features on your body (mostly in the color of your skin) wether you like it or not.

Sent from under your bed

Ummm... no. This is scientifically incorrect. There is one, and only one, "race," the human race, to which we all belong. The common understanding of "race" is indeed a social construct, based on historical, ethnic, and other ties. For example, if you are a tall person, you have more in common genetically with a tall person of another "race" than a short person of your "race."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_(human_classification)

·
Administrator
11,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Haha, that very long article basically says that everyone has a different definition for the word "race" so I guess we're not going to ever settle that matter here at SVR.

Anyway, personally I find it offensive when I'm filling out any kind of form and I'm asked whether I'm white OR Hispanic. WTF!? I'm Hispanic because my great grandparents came from Spain and because my culture and customs are highly regarded as "Hispanic"; I eat tacos and speak Spanish at home. But also, when I look at the mirror, I see a white guy with light brown hair and hazel eyes...

Well, I guess now I did kill the joke-thread. :facepalm:

·
very big dumb
9,212 Posts
I actually find the "Caucasian" thing hilarious when filling out forms. Mostly because in Russia, Caucasian means someone from the Caucasus mountains. And those guys are more "middle eastern" than "white"

·
Administrator
11,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had to look up the urban dictionary for ****** :roflmao:

Sent from inside the matrix using my amazing powers

·
Super Moderator
9,433 Posts
From what I understand, it is not contagious, so that is a big plus too.

·
Administrator
11,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It is. My ****** friend turned into a bean after hanging out with me and eating tacos for only two weeks. Doctors say it's irreversible.

I think that's what's happening in all of California :evil6:

Sent from inside the matrix using my amazing powers

1 - 20 of 63 Posts