Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not real confident on the Bike yet, but I go around the neighborhood, which includes a major University, and pull into a quick Stop where some Firebolt/ Gixxer types are standing around their machines. I ask about the Buell, which I had seen in the shop where I got my SV and they look at me like," why exactly are you talking to us?." So he tells me the Buell's awesome, I get the hint, say "Stay safe." and promptly nearly ride into a car that's pulling into the lot. He pulls in, then I kill the engine. Then I get it started and nearly kill it with a putt,putt,putt, leaving the place. Man, I'm glad I had a full face helmet on. :rolleyes:
Now I feel like a total 30-something dork. Lots of mistakes this afternoon. MSF in 4 weeks. Can't wait. This type of thing happen to you guys?

·
Registered
113 Posts
LOL, stuff like that is bound to happen to a new rider. I remember my first week on my 250 ninja I nearly got hit by a truck pulling out of a gas station. Of course, I grabbed a handful of front brake, nearly dropped the bike to the left, and just to top it off I was revving the crap out of the bike when I grabbed the brake. ;D It might be best to take it slow until the MSF class.

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
take it easy. you'll be fine.
remember this in about ten years and don't dis the new riders. those who do are the real squids.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
I don't know that you are a squid but maybe you should stop riding until you take the MSF before you die.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Not real confident on the Bike yet, but I go around the neighborhood, which includes a major University, and pull into a quick Stop where some Firebolt/ Gixxer types are standing around their machines. I ask about the Buell, which I had seen in the shop where I got my SV and they look at me like," why exactly are you talking to us?." So he tells me the Buell's awesome, I get the hint, say "Stay safe." and promptly nearly ride into a car that's pulling into the lot. He pulls in, then I kill the engine. Then I get it started and nearly kill it with a putt,putt,putt, leaving the place. Man, I'm glad I had a full face helmet on. :rolleyes:
Now I feel like a total 30-something dork. Lots of mistakes this afternoon. MSF in 4 weeks. Can't wait. This type of thing happen to you guys?
No

·
Registered
51 Posts
Don't feel too bad. I have had plenty of "mistakes" on my bike as well. Just take it slow and wait until the MSF class to gain some knowledge. A full face helmet has saved my ego and pride many times!!!

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Haven't happened to me that much...

I took the MSF before I ever got close to any motorcycle, I guess that helps, and also be really alert of your surroundings.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I appreciate the responses. At least I feel like I learned something. And I would wait until MSF to ride again, but my illegal stunting/road racing posse is meeting at the 4H camp this weekend to practice jousting. JK;D

·
Registered
61 Posts
i'm going to tell you something that A.) I didn't do and B.) you prolly won't do either, but should.

don't ride until you do your MSF. Just all around safer for you.

this will also keep your ego in check during the MSF class. I had been riding several times in the last few years and for about 3 weeks up to my MSF class. I 'thought' i was the **** in the class. I had a couple of close calls that wouldn't of happened if i had taken the class first. not to mention if you get caught riding your bike w/o a license (i'm assuming you don't have a license... you may have a permit. if so, cool.) but if i would have got pop'd here in Cali.... that would have run me $1500 in fines... no bueno.

anyway... ride safe. and that dudes Buell sucked ass.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I have never taken the MSF course, although I would highly recommend it to new riders. I grew up on dirtbikes and started riding mom/dads street bikes when I was like 14? Just around neighborhoods and stuff like that. I never took it because of the cost, I would have liked to take it and still would. Just kinda short on cash.

My story though that happened to me, when I had my permit and I was riding up to the DMV (with a licensed rider) we stopped at a red light. When it turned green I stalled it. Then the car behind me pulled up on my a$$. When I got it started again I felt pressured by the car behind me and gave it too much gas with too much clutch and did an unintentional wheelie that scared the crap outta me. Pretty embarrassing.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I would take it easy until you finish the MSF class, perhaps not riding until after the class. Also, the MSF class is the bare minimum skill level you'll need. You should consider continuing your training after the MSF class. Most metro areas have independent trainers around. Continue working on slow speed maneuvers after the MSF class. You might check into getting Moto Sliders. Learning from your mistakes is un-squid.

Msurk

·
Registered
414 Posts
If your like me, then there is no way in He!! your going to wait 3 whole weeks to get that bad ass bike out and go for a spin. Just keap your limitations in mind and don't get killed. Oh-+! on motosliders-your going to drop your bike.

·
Registered
80 Posts
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

Just kidding!
I did TONS of things like that, my first few weeks.
Actually I did WORSE things than that, since I was learning on my 1K......right up untill I crashed it two weeks later.
Don't worry about it.
Serriously though, a riding class is a good idea. They're cheap, fun, and they will give you an easy endorsement after a few days. I had never ridden before, and the weekend class I took was a HUGE confidence booster.
I only crashed because I started getting really cocky.
Thanks for the funny story. :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Never really had any problems doing stuff like that. (Outside the MSF class that is) My first ride was in the class and I got it out all of my system there. You'll be fine after the class.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Haha, my first ride was very humbling. I had taken the MSF, but was just not used to a bike like the sv. Going home from the dealership I was in front of a VERY nice Mitsubishi 3000GT, and managed to stall the bike at three stop signs in a row. It couldn't have been an old lady in a Camry see me, no no, had to be another enthusiast.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Whoa, you're on the street without even doing an MSF?

I understand that you got one scheduled, and you have the bike now and got the itch. But please, keep it in the neighborhood. A GAS STATION is one of the most likely places to get yourself into deep dookie. And it won't the kind of dookie that a set of frame sliders will help you with.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts