Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was renewing my race license today and I confirmed that I can go ahead with my dare from my racing buddy. That's right I will be racing a near stock KLR650 in Lightweight Sportsman Cup! ??? :eek: ;D

I haven't stopped smiling and giggling all morning, I think this is going to be great fun even if I only do one race on it. Picture this; 24 full on race prep'd lightweight sport bikes and a KLR with the lights removed, street tires and a set of number plates lining up on the starting grid. ;D

Now, I'm doing this mostly for the humour of it and the fact that I have always wanted to try it (plus my buddy dared me to) so don't think that I for one second believe that I can win a race on this contraption.

Here's the class break down:

Sportsman Lightweight
Up to 500cc four stroke twin cylinder, any year
Up to 400cc four stroke multi cylinder, any year
Up to 600cc four stroke air cooled,twin shock any year
Unlimited four stroke single cylinder, any year
Unlimited two stroke single/twin, 10 years old or older (excluding GP Bikes, these will compete in Middleweight)
Example bikes competing:
EX500, FZR400, CB1, RZ350, Some vintage

·
Registered
130 Posts
It sounds like a cool racing class. I've always loved seeing EX500 and FZR400 track bikes- there's something that is just so much cooler than a 600cc 4 cylinder. A question though- when I've been on the track on my SV and others on Motards, our lines always cross in dangerous and annoying ways. How will your bike selection factor into racing w/ street bikes line-wise, since we already know you'll be suffering on top speed and acceleration?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is going to be an issue. I plan on racing it more like a street bike than a motard (less drifting) and will try to stay out of their lines when coming through a corner together. I look at this as I'm being allowed to race in their class so, I will need to be respectful. That being said it is still racing and first one in gets the spot. The biggest issue I see is around the apex of the corner as I have to do all my braking before the corner and accelrate all the way through, where they can brake until the apex and then accelrate. This means that there could be a lot of me passing them coming into the apex and them passing me on the exit.

Like I said before I think the KLR is going to be far out classed here so I will be respectful to them and most of these guys have done track time (practice sessions) with motards on the track so I think we can pull it off with out too many people getting pissed.
PS. If I get lapped by more than 3 bikes I will pull off and take the DNF.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ronlarimer said:
Blu, I have to ask, why a KLR? I would think a KTM LC4 or 610 Husky would be a better choice.
The definitely would. The reason for a KLR is because I own one. I am saving for a house so my race budget is shot. The KZ isn't going to be ready for Vintage this year, the GS is KO'd and another bike is out of the question. I don't want to go a second season without doing at least one race (goddam ex-fiance grrr) so the KLR is what I'm going to use.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
i want to see videos of this :eek:

·
Registered
720 Posts
B.a. said:
i want to see videos of this :eek:
I'll second that....you could ride it Hayden style...knee down, backing it in :) A friend of mine and are building up a CR500 SM bike this spring/summer, keep us updated on how it goes

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mstingray said:
is it really racing if you're on the grid just to get out of everyone's way? ;)
:)

I'm only taking about the top riders as they are competing for the championship, the rest of the of them can pass me on on the straight... if they can get close enough ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts