Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at the Haynes Manual and there is one red, 1 solid orange, 1 orange/yellow, and 1 brown wire coming out of the ignition. In my 2005 though, I have 2 red, 2 orange, and one brown. I'm trying to figure out which one is the ignition power wire, I suspect it's the solid orange one. That said, what are the 2 red ones? They run 12 V even when the bike is turned off.

·
Super Moderator
8,597 Posts
Two red wires come from the switch itself but merge to one before they meet the connector. Orange/Yellow might look like solid Orange if faded or in poor light. You have a four position connector, no?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah ok. But still, why is it have voltage on it even when I turn off my bike? And yes, I have a four position connector. It's orange/yellow for sure. It has the yellow marking on it going down the middle. So the solid orange one would be one to grab the ignition voltage off of?

·
Super Moderator
8,597 Posts
... So the solid orange one would be one to grab the ignition voltage off of?
It depends on the accessory. Low current vs high current, and switched power (with key On only) vs non-switched.

- Low current switched loads like a USB charger or phone charger, use either Brown from the ignition switch, or Orange/Green at the gauge plug.

- Low current non-switched, use Red/White at the gauge plug. R/W will allow the accessory to operate even with the bike completely turned off.

- High current switched loads like heated grips or electric vest, power should come via a relay through a fused line connected to battery (+) terminal with relay on/off controlled by Brown.

- High current non-switched should come from a fused line directly off the battery but, stating the obvious, careful as the accessory will quickly kill the battery if accidentally left connected with engine Off.

For high current loads an inline fuse is essential for short circuit fire protection. For low current taps (Brown or Orange/Green) the wires are already fuse protected but it is still a good idea to add a low value inline fuse, say 2A fast acting, to prevent accessory failure from killing bike power. If the accessory (or mod wires) fail, the 2A fast fuse will blow before the 10A bike fuse; the accessory will die but the bike will still run.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm looking at the Haynes Manual and there is one red, 1 solid orange, 1 orange/yellow, and 1 brown wire coming out of the ignition. In my 2005 though, I have 2 red, 2 orange, and one brown. I'm trying to figure out which one is the ignition power wire, I suspect it's the solid orange one. That said, what are the 2 red ones? They run 12 V even when the bike is turned off.
Can u tell me how to wire a 7 wire ignition to a 5 wire ignitiom

·
Super Moderator
8,597 Posts
If you have 7 wires you have the wrong switch for the bike.

·
Super Moderator
8,597 Posts
Where did you get the 7 wire ignition switch?

What bike is it for?

What colors are the wires?

Are you tolling us, lol?

If you can answer those questions, I will be happy to help if I can. : -)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts