Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry for my noob.

I ride a '00 sv650s.for a several months did not find a fatal problem.and then, when I go touring on the weekend, after riding about 70miles, the bike suddenly like cough because the ignition is not running well, I just wanted to ask, what caused it to happen, whether the problem at the spark plugs? I use NGK CR8E from the local shop.

i ride it all the year,and can't solve the problem until now.the 'cough' always comes up when i ride for 50-70miles..:disappointed:

_sorry for bad english_

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
So...the problem only starts to happen after riding an hour or more? Runs fine until then? Might be a coil breaking down, or the wire to the sparkplug. They can sometimes take a while to get hot enough to start malfunctioning.

The problem here is going to be verifying that it is a coil or wire without just replacing them....which is kind of expensive. When it is misfiring, does it do it consistently or is is just the occasional 'cough'? You might be able to use an infrared thermometer on the exhaust pipes and determine which is the colder one....which would point to that one having the ignition problem.

Oh good grief....I just looked at your information and saw your mileage. 146,040!!! I don't care if those are miles or clicks.....that is a bunch! Your problem might not have anything to do with the ignition at all....it might be losing compression as it gets warmer and causing a misfire. Another thing might be the valve job....seats and valve faces themselves MUST be getting very, very worn with such high mileage.

You may need to repair the internal engine parts to fix your problems. Perhaps doing a wet/dry compression test to start would give us something to help diagnose the problem. If the compression isn't even between front and rear cylinders it won't run properly. Please try the compression test?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts