Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

(I know this has been talked about before, so if there's another thread about the same situation, please point me there. I just searched and didn't find anything that's exactly like my situation)

Here's the deal:
1. wrecked my 99 sv650n last week (right handlebar and radiator hit car door at maybe 20mph, layed bike down on left side). bike was still running on the ground. I turned it off immediately because coolant was draining out where the radiator was smashed.
2. replaced speedo sensor (cable was almost totally severed), handlebars, mirrors, and radiator/fan today. refilled coolant.
3. turned bike on. everything lights up fine. battery is charged. bike is on side stand, in neutral. I pull clutch and hit ignition switch. headlight flickers once and I here a click. next I press ignition: nothing.
4. checked ignition fuse. it is blown.

So, i've read that this problem maybe due to a short some where, but how do I go about looking for it, and is there anything else it could be? there's a lot of wires in there, and I'm not very familiar with the electrical aspect of the bike yet. looking for help on how to start diagnosing this problem.

Thanks!!! gotta get this thing back on the road while the weather's good!

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
The problem may reside in the clutch safety switch wiring. Pull the plug off the switch under the clutch lever and using a multimeter test for continuity between the two wires in the harness side connector. You may have damaged the wiring or the switch when the bike laid down on the left side. There shouldn't be continuity between those two wires. This was the issue for another member blowing the ignition fuse. May be your problem, maybe not. Worth looking into for starters.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply RMAN. I have a multimeter and I'll try it tomorrow. a little clarification:

1) what is the "harness side connector"? is that just the metal teeth that plug into the clutch safety switch?
2) what do I do if there is continuity between the wires? and if there isn't?

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
1) Yes. You pull the plug off and test inside the connector between the two pins.
2) If there isn't, then something else probably is causing the short. If there is, then maybe the wiring or the plug itself got damaged causing the wires to touch. The problem may be in the switch itself, not the harness connector. You could disconnect the plug, bypass the switch by using a paper clip to connect the two pins together temporarily and see if the problem still exists when starting the bike.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Problem solved! when I was putting the clutch lever on the new handle bars, I inadvertently squashed the clutch switch plug wires while tightening the clutch pivot bolt underneath the clutch lever. didn't notice that till today. one of the wires was exposed, and clamped between metal parts no less. no wonder it was shorting out. A little electrical tape, and voila! cranked right up.

Thanks for the help RMAN.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts