Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I'm looking for a technically savvy rider to describe what the ignition advancer is and what installing it will do, also any considerations that will need to taken into account before installing one. ???

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
it makes the spark happen sooner. This give the fuel more time to burn before the piston starts coming down thus creating more power. The down side is you usually need to run higher octane fuel.

It does this by moving the rotor forward with an offset key.

There's very mixed reviews as to whether or not it's worth the effort.

·
Registered
737 Posts
It is supposed to fatten out the mid range noticeably.

I have heard of accounts where the offset part of the key shears off.

I have also heard of people that notch the pick ups on the outer housing - this makes it permanent.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
If you notch the pickup it is not permanent. It is actually adjustable from stock to around 3 degrees in advance/retard. You could always set it back. From what I have heard it really helps midrange...but could kill topend. Sounds pretty good for street. I will be installing one next oil change. Ill let you know.
ac

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
I rate it really highly... Taking price into account it's the best tuning mod I've done. But then I use the bike 99% of the time on the street so I'd happily trade a few horses on top for a better midrange. According to the super-accurate butt dyno it didn't lose me a noticable amount of top end, but the lower end drivability improvement can't be missed.

T

·
0 Posts
question for those that adjust valve clearance home.
is F mark acurate to put cams back in if you have offset key?

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Zoran,
I know you are just toying with us...

I wouldnt think the F mark would be accurate any more. You have offset the rotor 4 degrees to the crank therefore you offset the whole thing. Now, the better question is this: With the crank offset 4 degrees and set to F, does it really matter since I dont think 1 tooth on the cam sprocket is less than 4 degrees? In other words, how many degrees does each tooth represent?
ac

T

·
0 Posts
avc8130 said:
In other words, how many degrees does each tooth represent?
ac
36 teeth on each cam.18 teeth on crank.crank turns twice for each cam turn.
4 degree on crank is how many on cam? :)

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
I don't want to be the retard here (which I sometimes am...) but if there's 36 teeth and 360 degrees in a circle, then wouldn't one tooth = 10 degrees?

Since the crank has half the teeth would it be twice the number (20 degrees)?

·
Registered
84 Posts
donniej said:
I don't want to be the retard here (which I sometimes am...) but if there's 36 teeth and 360 degrees in a circle, then wouldn't one tooth = 10 degrees?

You can figure out the degrees without looking at the number of teeth. Each degree on the crank is .5 degree on the cam. 4 degrees x .5 = 2.

T

·
0 Posts
donniej said:

does rear wheel sprocket turn countershaft sprocket or other way around?

T

·
0 Posts
ubermensch said:
You can figure out the degrees without looking at the number of teeth. Each degree on the crank is .5 degree on the cam. 4 degrees x .5 = 2.
what would happen if crank has 20 teeth instead 18?

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Ok, so in other words...no more lining cams up using the F and R marks on the flywheel if you have an ignition advance key in. Although this isnt rocket science...should have understood that already! If the crank rotates twice for every cam motion then each tooth up top represents 2 degrees. Does this mean that if you advance the timing 4 degrees you would move the rotor forward in relation to the crank. So if each tooth represents a 2 degree change, and the 4 degree advance is only a 2 degree advance at the cams, then couldnt you just use the F mark...but set everything 1 tooth retarded?
ac

1 - 20 of 34 Posts