Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
#1 - Do ALL US SV's have the 2-3 gear ignition retard? I have seen the notes about cutting the red+yellow and the brn+blue wires under the tank, but before I cut, I want to be sure there is some benefit.

#2 - I've seen articles on a 4-degree ignition advancer (offset key). Has anyone done any dyno testing on this mod? How beneficial is it? What is the down side? Will I need to run premium then to prevent early detonation?

#3 - Any suggestion on the best way to remove the undertank foam? I want the end result to be as clean as possible.

OK #4 - I plan to stick with the stock 15 pilot jet, and go 3 turns out on the air screw, than shim the stock needles with 2 shims, install a 140 main, and drill the slides. If I remove the undertank foam, put in tank spacers, and put on a good slip-on, is going to a 140 main jet enough? I'd rather run a little lean and get good gas mileage than go too fat, but I don't have easy access to a dyno to make a dozen runs to dial in, so what is the groups experience???

N

·
0 Posts
I did the TRE, but didn't notice any real difference; no dyno run though.

I also considered the offset key but it looks to risky for me.

I stripped the foam off with a plastic putty knife, and then just picked at it a while. Some acetone may take the residue off.

I'm running 140 mains with a similar set up to what you described and it runs fine. Consider changing out the stock #15 pilot jet though. The rest of the world got #17.5 pilots, so the 15s for N.A. were probably just to satisfy the EPA.

:)

F

·
0 Posts
I just got an SV650s for my wife which I am in process of cleaning the carbs/rejetting myself. As a result of the bike sitting for a while, I was expecting carb/jetting problems and was paying a lot of attention to the bike's behavior. OF course, when I saw the TRE mod, I did it and I saw an immediate improvement.

But, don't cut any wires. Two wires from the connector by the rear light can simply be pulled out. (standing by the seat, looking towards the rear of the bike: top row, 3rd and 4th wires from the left.) If you want to go back, you simply have to plug those back in.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
I really rate the ignition advancer for street work... It's no good for top end (some report a boost, but on a tuned bike it'll usually cost you top end) but the effect on the torque curve is excellent. There's a dyno chart on the JHS Racing website.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts