Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys I lost both my original suzuki keys. I went to a locksmith and they made me some custom keys no problem. However, about a year ago, I started notice my bike throwing what i believed to be the "ign lock" error (C42) (i never did find out)

basically, it would FI error, then i'd turn the bike off and on (once or twice) and it would go away (never comes on while i'm riding though)

and now, this morning, it did the fi error and it totally killed my battery, i believe they call it "bursting a plate" or whatever where the battery finally just goes kaput all at once.

im wondering, since im in this situation, how should i go about avoiding this error so that it doesnt kill another battery? I think its frying my electrical system to be honest. as i get this code atleast once or twice every other day.

Should I call the locksmith and have them make me a new set of keys (it cost $80 last time, but since they might remember me maybe they can just be more careful/precise to make the better keys which i wont have any problem paying for)

or is there something else i can try? (going to the dealer for some keys? [super expensive?])

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
I don't know about a C40 code, there is a C42 Ignition switch signal. Did you meter the battery or test? The key interacts with the tumblers of the lock which allows the switch to rotate and make contact depending upon where the switch is positioned. If there is something going on with the ignition switch, I don't see how the key is the problem. Do you think possibly that the ignition is not being shut off when you turn the key to off? Is there a drain on the battery? There are fuses which should protect the battery and electricals. A bad R/R can kill a battery, but I don't know about the ignition doing that unless it is shorting out and draining the battery somehow. You can test the switch in the off position to see if there is still power leaving the switch.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well thats precisely what i think is happening (shorting out) basically when the error is thrown it always shorts the battery (surges lights/dash/fuel pump) and cuts them off and back on immediatley, and i think it is burning the cells of the battery.

i havent had to replace a battery in like 1.75 years, trying desperately to hit the 2-3 year mark before i replace this one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts