Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
^^^ lol

been riding with HP (hearing protection) lol since last week...it is so much better, I enjoy the ride more and conserve my hearing.

HP all the way!

·
Registered
459 Posts
I either use earplugs or ipod... but even with them in I noticed I either need better helmet padding or a smaller helmet. It's friggin loud.. even with the ear plugs.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
I either use earplugs or ipod... but even with them in I noticed I either need better helmet padding or a smaller helmet. It's friggin loud.. even with the ear plugs.
or maybe your ears are freaking huge! :nana:

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
unless you have ear plug type headphones, an ipod isn't hearing protection. It's just cranking music louder to cover up road noise.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I started using them about two years ago and now don't ride at all without them. Went over to my parents house last week and forgot them (three whole miles), and I was amazed at the amount of noise in my ears even for that short time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Walmart sells em by the box for cheap in the hunting dept. The purple ones are nice and soft.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I can't stand riding without mine. I was alternating between ear plugs and ear plug head phones, but the head phones made it too difficult to hear things going on around me when I stopped.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Be careful how far you insert those foam ear plugs into your ears. I used ear plugs for many years when I had loud roomates and neighbors. I've since suffered hearing loss likely due to inserting them too deeply on a regular basis. Sorta ironic.

Marc

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
*click*

I use earplug head phones and hate riding without them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
You'll still hear a car honking :) I think we all know that you are much more likely to honk at a car than have them honk at you... plus with as alert as you are (as you should be) on a bike, it's doubtful you will have a problem. Plus the plugs will just drown out the harsh sounds like wind noise, allowing you to hear the important stuff!

·
Registered
984 Posts
I'm a plug wearer. First couple of weeks on the bike I rode with out them, didn't think about it. I would get to work after my 45-minute all highway commute, and wonder why I was so fatigued feeling, headache, almost felt like a hangover.. Tried drinking lots of water before and after the ride, thinking I was dehydrated, that helped a little. Then, I thought...duh, wind-noise! Put in plugs, and yup, so much better. I put them in even for short runs around town. I grabbed a few of some bad-arse ones we use at work, and keep a set in each of my riding jackets.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts

Paulie, either your helmet doesn't fit right or your earplugs don't fit right, or both. For the earplugs, get a trial pack and see which ones work best for you:

http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/unfoamtrialp.html

Fifteen bucks for two pair each of 28 different types of foam earplugs (56 total pr).

I'm a plug wearer. First couple of weeks on the bike I rode with out them, didn't think about it. I would get to work after my 45-minute all highway commute, and wonder why I was so fatigued feeling, headache, almost felt like a hangover.. Tried drinking lots of water before and after the ride, thinking I was dehydrated, that helped a little. Then, I thought...duh, wind-noise! Put in plugs, and yup, so much better. I put them in even for short runs around town. I grabbed a few of some bad-arse ones we use at work, and keep a set in each of my riding jackets.
This is what I tell everyone. It is amazing how much more focused, calm, and relaxed I am, both on the bike and thereafter, if I ride with my plugs in.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I've never used them on the bike, but I used to work in a machine shop that was incredibly loud all day long. If you didn't wear earplugs you'd suffer hearing damage for sure. I wore earplugs there and found I could actually hear conversations and the small details on the machines like chatter and dull tools better because of the ear plugs. My theory is that the plugs block the ambient buzzing and loud background noises enough that it actually makes it easier to detect the more subtle noises. I'm gonna have to try them on the bike, but I like having my headphones on for music.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts