Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
7,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recent crash threads and a show on "inattention blindness" have me thinking about this subject again...

We all know that distracted driving poses serious threats to our safety and to our property.

If you were king for a day, how would you revamp the current system to try to eliminate or significantly reduce distracted driving? Let's try to have an actual constructive discussion...

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Absolutely they should make all cell phones unable to work when they are moving. Most/many have GPS now so that would be a simple addition. Yes.....I know 'what about the passenger' and other arguments. But, this is a BAD problem with a simple solution. Not a perfect one, but it would work almost overnight if 'they' actually wanted to fix it.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Moving at a certain rate of speed or no movement at all? No cell phones while walking? Maybe I just don't understand the tech, which is very possible.

·
Registered
7,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My dad suggests that we disable "cell-tower switching."

Basically, as you drive your phone's signal is picked up by the nearest cell tower...and as you go along, your signal is passed from tower to tower. Eliminate the passing of the signal means your conversations are limited to the time you spend in front of one specific tower.

It won't stop people from texting, though.

·
Registered
199 Posts
i already am a king ( its my last name) so does this mean i get to do what i want already?! personally im for the more education route the problem is that its EXPENSIVE. its just TOO easy to get your drivers license so there are alot of idiots with bad spacial tasking capability's, i think every endorsement should be on a persons licence with a permit time for each before they are allowed on the roads fully, that means class C, M, a cdl everything its a fact that motorcycle riders are better drivers esp in concerns to other bike because we know that it really is life or death...

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Moving at a certain rate of speed or no movement at all? No cell phones while walking? Maybe I just don't understand the tech, which is very possible.
You can set it to X speed. So say anything above 3 mph you can move around and talk.

Basically, as you drive your phone's signal is picked up by the nearest cell tower...and as you go along, your signal is passed from tower to tower. Eliminate the passing of the signal means your conversations are limited to the time you spend in front of one specific tower.

Will stop the commuters from using the phone. But in the perfect scenario, one has 14 miles they can drive before they switch out. Lets not forget about another reason you switch towers and that is load balancing and other task that happen even if you don't move would not work.

Best thing to do is start with education. It is too easy to get and maintain your license. So for starts I would increase the requirements to get a license and add the fact you have to take a class to learn to drive. Also do away with automatic renewal, I would require everyone renewing their license to take the driving test.

Second I would increase the penalty for using a cell phone or device while driving. I would also go with assault charges for those who cause an collision while on the phone and manslaughter charges for those who kill someone in the collision they caused (I say the same for DUII drivers too). Personally the penalties should at least match up with the damage they cause.

Yes some people might think that is harsh, but those who talk on the phone and drive are more then willing to risk dramatically change others peoples lives for their petty conversation. The least they can do is do the same.

The best solution I think of would for everyone to wake up and stop thinking of driving as a mundane simple task they have to perform to get someone where and thinking of it as the complex, dangerous and unique task that it really is. But that would be wishing.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Absolutely they should make all cell phones unable to work when they are moving. Most/many have GPS now so that would be a simple addition. Yes.....I know 'what about the passenger' and other arguments. But, this is a BAD problem with a simple solution. Not a perfect one, but it would work almost overnight if 'they' actually wanted to fix it.
Major flaw in your argument: you eliminate the ability for people to communicate in an emergency. And I'm not just talking about 911.

+1 on driver education. My Driver's ed was a total joke. Even the MSF is kinda a joke. No one wants to get hard on licensing in the country, because it's so crucial to our economy, and it'd be bad for voter support from many segments (parents who don't want to drive their kids, young adults, elderly (if retesting required :) ). I'd love to review driver's ed from some of the countries with more strict requirements, namely Germany, and Finland, and try to develop a course based off that. You need a lot of state, and maybe insurance company support though to get it rolling (why take a better, harder course when you can breeze through the DOT exam?)

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I would impose license suspensions for cell phone use. Three strikes setup as well. 1st offense would be a 2 week suspension. 2nd offense would be 60 days. 3rd time would be loss of license, indefinitely, to be reviewed by a judge & only reinstated after an extensive driver training, education, and recertification process was completed.

Realistically, this would never fly in the US for multiple reasons.

But, if it did, people would d*mn sure take this matter more seriously, and most would learn to stay the feck off the phone while driving.

Oh, yeah... not just 4-wheelers are idiots:

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Oh, how about enforcing the laws that most states already have? Nothing new needed and the state gains revenue!

If I were king for a day I would try to tackle much larger issues.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts

People would just call back after the call is dropped. I like the idea of disabling cell phones while moving more than a certain speed except for emergency functions. Either that or increase the penalty and actually enforce it. $1000 fine would stop most people once either they or someone they knew was busted.

·
Registered
7,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The best solution I think of would for everyone to wake up and stop thinking of driving as a mundane simple task they have to perform to get someone where and thinking of it as the complex, dangerous and unique task that it really is. But that would be wishing.
This is what I'm getting at. HOW? There has to be a way. It won't be an easy way...

As far as texting/using a phone specifically goes, I think the resistance will come from people who view it was a freedom or a right that you're trying to take away.

We all (well, ok, most of us) feel cultural pressure to conform. Is there a way to make focused, attentive, accurate driving an ideal that we can all strive for? How do we shift our culture away from a bare minimum "I made it here without causing an accident." How can we reward excellent driving? It's not JUST about the phones--it's about taking personal pride in having complete control over your vehicle at all times.

·
Registered
7,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was thinking about this "higher testing" idea more in-depth recently and here's what I came up with....and I'll tell you exactly why it won't work.

#1, Have a national standard driving test. It should be similar to police training courses--narrow, coned in, done both forwards and backwards. Your time is important, but accuracy is MORE important.

#2, Have a graduated licensing system--at the track we are separated by expert, intermediate, and novice, so why not on the street? So, most people won't "FAIL" per se, but again, as on the track, your privileges are reduced. You may retest as many times as you like (use your own car) but only your last test result is used to determine your competency.

#3, How to reward "experts" and how to motivate "novices"? Have a highway system where "experts" are allowed higher speed limits and use of all 4+ lanes (80mph?). "Intermediates" are allowed intermediate speed limits and use of the right 3 lanes (75mph?). "Novices" are allowed the lowest speed limits and use of the right 2 lanes (70mph?).

#4, How to ENFORCE? (and this is why it will fail) Everyone's ID should have a RFID card installed. At each on-ramp and each off-ramp an RFID reader should automatically detect your ID and calculate your average speed over the distance traveled. Your license status will be verified with a central computer and if you violate the average speed limit, you are ticketed and you are demoted one level.

Issue #1 with this will be public outcry against RFID tracking.
Issue #2 will be how to identify the driver of a car containing multiple people (can't let novices speed with an expert passenger and can't have expert drivers getting demoted for carrying novice passengers)

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think cellphones are getting too much attention while the overall problem is much bigger. A driver can get just as distracted by a radio show or a live conversation with a passenger. In fact, live conversations tend to get even more heated and distracting. In places where there are already bans on cell phone use, the enforcement of those laws is even worse than speed enforcement. And we all know how effective speed limits are at making sure people don't travel at excessive speeds ;).

My proposition would be to reduce the punishment handed out to people who do things like speeding, distracted driving, failure to stop at stop signs, etc without any direct negative consequences, but make whose same actions into extremely aggravating circumstances in case an actual accident occurs. I mean all the way to license suspension when an accident is caused by a driver who's speeding in excess of some margin above speed limit, or talking on the phone, or fails to follow appropriate right of way.

·
Registered
850 Posts
How can we reward excellent driving? It's not JUST about the phones--it's about taking personal pride in having complete control over your vehicle at all times.
Refundable tax breaks for good driving records. (Need's to be refundable, because younger driver's don't usually pay taxes, but they sure could use that refund!). Problem is cost of doing.

The other problem is there's no penalty for a close call. And unfortunately most driver's get away with their bad habits 99 times out of 100.

Still, I think education is the first step. Driver's ed is a joke. It's a scare tactic that doesn't work, and it doesn't teach good skills and habits. And most importantly it's BORING. In order to effectively teach, you need to engage. And driver's ed doesn't do that.

·
Registered
322 Posts
someone mentioned that phones shouldn't be disabled during emergencies heh...I don't use the phone while driving, but when my wife went into labor I was on the phone with her while driving to get a list of things I needed to bring. funny enough I was pulled over for cell phone use. the cop let me go when I explained the situation.

just like drunk driving, we need to stress the importance of staying focused on the road. education and enforcement are good. t.v. commercials, school programs, etc...same way AIDs and drunk driving are addressed. hell i'd give cops a percent of the ticket for every cell phone ticket they write. good cash flow for the city and that would educate people real quick.

there's no perfect solution, technology is a part of our lives now and it is competing for our attention. soon we'll all have heads up displays on our eyeballs and you won't even be able to put the "phone" down anymore.

the roads and cars will need to adapt to be more safe and allow their distracted occupants to text away.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Difficult to say how you encourage people to pay more attention while driving and as pointed out it isn't only cell phones that are distracting. There should be more ability for police to ticket distracted drivers as a primary offense. Adding stiff and well publicized penalties for cases where distracted driving results in a injury or death may help.

I do think having more and better training is helpfully. I remember years ago after doing drivers ed I did an additional course on defensive driving and emergency avoidance at a local track. That course taught alot about being observant to avoid accidents and was fun (skid cars are a blast). I then followed that with a sportscar and performance driving class that was helpfull and included track time which was nice. The second taught even more obliterated being observant, focused as well as the physics of driving. A bunch of the course in retrospect was similar to the MSF SEE ideology. I have also taken the MSF BRC and BRC 2. All of these helped me to understand the need to focus, observe and handle a vehicle. I think requiring more training and or offering insurance discounts would help.

Ohio where I am just passed more anti cell phone laws as well as making it a primary offence for teen drivers to use ANY electronic device. We shall see if that helps. What I still see a lack of is perpetual distracted and head up the a** drivers who put everyone at risk whether they be in a car or riding.

All in all more training, painful penalties and encouragement to be a better more observant driver would help.

Or put an rfid on every bike and a sensor in cars if collision with a bike is detected a small explosive device blows up the driver of the car. Thus we make it as dangerous for the cage as the bike ;P

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
I would create a motorcycle only lane on the highway, and change the driving test requirements.

·
Registered
688 Posts

That would defeat the purpose of cell phones for emergencies and general communication :/ How long do you wait to get your reception back? What if you just drove off a cliff and need help.

IMO It should be done with GPS... almost all devices have GPS now- it wouldn't be that hard to just pickup their movement- if the device is traveling at 20+ mph flip to "Airplane" mode (or in this case "Baby sit the irresponsible SUV driver" mode.)

That being said it is unlikely that people would like this very much... cell phones are a HUGE part of everyone's lives now...see: http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/07/health/memory-computers-brain/index.html

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Disabling the function of the phone in any way while in motion is a horrible idea. So you're saying that I can't stream music, use navigation, or send/receive emergency phone calls? Short sighted, Especially for mass transit... Now you have a bus full of people who can't use their device.

Simply enforce existing laws. Including law enforcement, they are just as bad about playing with devices while driving

·
Registered
818 Posts
It seems like most of the proposed solutions involve more governmental control and less individual freedom. Perhaps as a people we deserve the mess.

How about few laws, rational ones that punish violations that cause harm, rather than many irrational laws, poorly enforced, that are intended to control behavior that does not cause actual damage.

We have far to many laws that control behavior that MIGHT cause harm, and too little enforcement and punishment of behavior that ACTUALLY causes harm.

Please think freedom and responsiblity, rather than prevention and control. Use education for prevention, not force. Force should only be used after the harm is done.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts