Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Was ready to go with either or, it's not a bad shock for the price and like you've mentioned gets good reviews. This YSS distributor talked me out of both, seriously. The guy was helpful, honest.
If you found a honest vendor that talked you straight about his products, that's the best you could find.
Just for my personal knowledge, whenever you have time, I would be willing to know what the vendor told you about the YSS shocks (both for Gladius and Gen. 3 SV) that made you choose a different solution.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
If you found a honest vendor that talked you straight about his products, that's the best you could find.
Just for my personal knowledge, whenever you have time, I would be willing to know what the vendor told you about the YSS shocks (both for Gladius and Gen. 3 SV) that made you choose a different solution.
I was surprised this guy (Jeff) was talking me out of buying a shock from him. He basically said that if it was him he would not buy either due to my weight, both shocks are not right for me. The Gladius too light of a spring for my weight, the gen3 too heavy of a spring. Both are a compromise.
I spent some time on the phone with this guy talking suspension, lots went over my head. I mentioned to him that he sounds like he knows what he's talking about and he ran down quite an impressive resume. The shop is in Santa Cruz, 150 miles from me. Wish it was closer, really appreciate his knowledge and honesty.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I was surprised this guy (Jeff) was talking me out of buying a shock from him. He basically said that if it was him he would not buy either due to my weight, both shocks are not right for me. The Gladius too light of a spring for my weight, the gen3 too heavy of a spring. Both are a compromise.
I spent some time on the phone with this guy talking suspension, lots went over my head. I mentioned to him that he sounds like he knows what he's talking about and he ran down quite an impressive resume. The shop is in Santa Cruz, 150 miles from me. Wish it was closer, really appreciate his knowledge and honesty.
I wonder if that is simply a vendor-specific deal. When I ordered my YSS (from somewhere in Italy) I gave them my weight and they sprung the shock accordingly. Maybe they have the system down for the 2gen bikes, I don't know. All I know is when I installed it I was able to set sag just fine for my 170lb self. Either way, I believe the k-tech is a better piece than the YSS as you get the piggyback res with yours. Discussing spring rates between the 3rd gen and a 2nd gen S model seems to be apples to oranges anyway.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Thanks Irishgirl.
I'm quite surprised to read that the Gladius YSS shock would be undersprung for a 170lbs rider, but I yeld to superior knowledge.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I wonder if that is simply a vendor-specific deal. When I ordered my YSS (from somewhere in Italy) I gave them my weight and they sprung the shock accordingly. Maybe they have the system down for the 2gen bikes, I don't know. All I know is when I installed it I was able to set sag just fine for my 170lb self. Either way, I believe the k-tech is a better piece than the YSS as you get the piggyback res with yours. Discussing spring rates between the 3rd gen and a 2nd gen S model seems to be apples to oranges anyway.
He never talked about swapping springs, just what spring rate that comes/sold with the shocks. From my impression from talking with him swapping out springs was was not an option with these two shocks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My shock is done, 11,000 miles and it's feeling wooden. Looking at these to to replace the stock shock

Cogent, like the fact that it's completely rebuildable.

K Tech RCU Razor R, seems to have good reviews, however don't think its rebuildable.

Or?
This is what I use. Very satisfied:

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
I just put an Nitron R1 on my second gen, but they also have them for third gen. Brook Suspension has a few options for rear shocks on the SV, including YSS and Ktech. What sold me on the Nitron was for the price, it had everything I was looking for. So far it has been great and no issues. Downside was the time it took to get it. Because it is made to order and that they are based in the UK, it took a month to get the shock.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Install wasn't bad at all. More time getting the old one off. Helping having someone else there too. Did have to drill out the holes of the bracket some as the spacing was a hair off. Bracket is raw metal so if you care to, would be cheap to powder coat or paint.
I had the same issue, I just kept drilling! 😁 The bracket is way over engineered and heavy as well as the bolts provided. It looks good on the bike!

Attachments

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
@Irishgirl

Not nearly as well done as yours, dull bits will make shitty holes.... but 10 bucks on some powder coatings helps to hide the bracket pretty well.
Nice! Like the way yours turned out, cleaner looking. After painting my bracket it looks..well not so clean looking :unsure:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Powder coated matte black 20%, black bolts that you can get at home depot (m8x1.25x25) and not needed but put on black washers too.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts