Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My shock is done, 11,000 miles and it's feeling wooden. Looking at these to to replace the stock shock

Cogent, like the fact that it's completely rebuildable.

K Tech RCU Razor R, seems to have good reviews, however don't think its rebuildable.

Or?

·
Registered
115 Posts
My shock is done, 11,000 miles and it's feeling wooden. Looking at these to to replace the stock shock

Cogent, like the fact that it's completely rebuildable.

K Tech RCU Razor R, seems to have good reviews, however don't think its rebuildable.

Or?
the K Teck RCU Razor R sping rates offered look too soft to me but my experience is with gen 1 & 2.
The other looks like it is at least advertised as suitable

·
Premium Member
'18 SV650
84 Posts
I'm very satisfied with my Ktech shock on my Gen 3. But I haven't used the Holeshot, so I can't compare.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I went a cheaper route: YSS shock for 2015 Gladius.
You can check Gladius and Gen.3 SV feature the same shock (same P/N), thus they're completely interchangeable.

The YSS shock is preload and rebound adjustable, and has a 10mm adjustability range for eye-to-eye length.
Plus, it's serviceable.

Here you are my whole experience and report: 3rd gen. SV650 rear shock replacement.

Reactions: sv650bklyn

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doing a search I found your thread, it was helpful!
Didn't realize how shot my shock is until I rode a friends gsxs750 back to back with my sv yesterday, bad!
Found lots of info on shock swaps for 1st and 2nd gen, not a lot for 3gen.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Skywalker, is this the parts number for the YSS shock you bought? Thanks

·
Registered
359 Posts
I would not go with that Ohlins. No experience with that Ktech but hear good things. I like Penske myself and have one for sale if interested.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have the K-Tec on the 3rd gen SV also have a Cogent on another bike. Thought long and hard on what to get for the SV and nearly purchased the Cogent but wanted to try a K-Tec. Either is an improvement and the guys at Cogent are great to work with, used their fork cartridges also, ended up with Traxxion Dynamics AR25's in the SV. I didn't see where Ohlins had an off the shelf shock for the the 3rd gen SV, Fast Bike Industries can put something together but it will cost more than an off the shelf unit. Good luck on your decision.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Skywalker, is this the parts number for the YSS shock you bought? Thanks
Not sure the shock I bought is the one you linked.
I bought this one, and the part number seems to be a different one (MZ366-315TRL-45-X) from the one you linked.
But, two years ago there was no dedicated model for the gen.3 SV.

Reactions: Irishgirl

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Not sure the shock I bought is the one you linked.
I bought this one, and the part number seems to be a different one (MZ366-315TRL-45-X) from the one you linked.
But, two years ago there was no dedicated model for the gen.3 SV.
Got off the phone with one of the YSS dealers/suspension tuners here. They are telling me that dedicated models for the gen3 will ship with spring weights just a bit high for me (170 lbs without gear) and the Gladius shock a little heavy for that spring weight...need a 90

·
Registered
59 Posts
Oriental Express Racing, K-techs U.S. dealer, will spring the shock to your weight, you just give them the basics in the comments blurb on the order form. You can also call and talk to their techs and the customer service has been great. Talked to their race tech today about my forks and he answered my questions and more. As for the Razor-R, just got it on this weekend so have to dial it in, but so far big improvement.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oriental Express Racing, K-techs U.S. dealer, will spring the shock to your weight, you just give them the basics in the comments blurb on the order form. You can also call and talk to their techs and the customer service has been great. Talked to their race tech today about my forks and he answered my questions and more. As for the Razor-R, just got it on this weekend so have to dial it in, but so far big improvement.
K-tech is sounding like the shock to get. How was the install?
Thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
Install wasn't bad at all. More time getting the old one off. Helping having someone else there too. Did have to drill out the holes of the bracket some as the spacing was a hair off. Bracket is raw metal so if you care to, would be cheap to powder coat or paint.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Got off the phone with one of the YSS dealers/suspension tuners here. They are telling me that dedicated models for the gen3 will ship with spring weights just a bit high for me (170 lbs without gear) and the Gladius shock a little heavy for that spring weight...need a 90
I'm just a tad heavier than you (180 lbs without gear) and I feel the Gladius shock correctly sprung for me, but YMMV.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Purchased the K tech. Folks at Oriental Express Racing was very helpful! No tax, no shipping cost. Looking forward to getting this shock on the bike.
Thanks all for the help.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm just a tad heavier than you (180 lbs without gear) and I feel the Gladius shock correctly sprung for me, but YMMV.
Was ready to go with either or, it's not a bad shock for the price and like you've mentioned gets good reviews. This YSS distributor talked me out of both, seriously. The guy was helpful, honest.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I've heard good things about the k-tech shocks and I would like to know how it does on the 3rd gen, purely for selfish purposes. If my '07 ever pops I could see replacing it with a 3rd gen and now you're doing my research for me. ;)
Race-Tech's website mentions a GS3 shock being available for the 3rd gen which is probably the route I would go if I had to buy one now. They look just like the one you got. No matter how you cut it, a quality shock ain't cheap, but boy they are sure worth it.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I've heard good things about the k-tech shocks and I would like to know how it does on the 3rd gen, purely for selfish purposes. If my '07 ever pops I could see replacing it with a 3rd gen and now you're doing my research for me. ;)
Race-Tech's website mentions a GS3 shock being available for the 3rd gen which is probably the route I would go if I had to buy one now. They look just like the one you got. No matter how you cut it, a quality shock ain't cheap, but boy they are sure worth it.
And, Salty Sway, Jayson! :)

·
Registered
59 Posts

We have a Race Tech shock on a CRF250 Supermoto, nice shock but for the money you can't beat the K-Tech, I can't believe there's a better value.

Current rides
2017 SV 650 Traxxion Dynamic AR25 fork internals & K-Tech Shock
2000 ZRX ZX14 forks & ohlins shocks (had Ohlins forks and very pleased with the ZX14 forks now)
2006 KLR 650 Race Tech fork springs and emulators with Cogent Dynamics shock
2013 CRF250L Supermoto Race Tech springs and cartridges GS3 Shock
2017 Z125 Racing Bros fork cartridges & springs and Racing Bros Shock
2002 Zuma 50 2t stock forks YSS shock

Suspension & brake upgrades have proven to be worth the money, especially being on the heavier side. I have been very happy with the SV suspension upgrades. Orient Express is a great company to deal with, have my eyes on a set of Dymags for the SV, just haven't been able to justify. Have always upgraded the suspension on motorcycles & vehicles.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts