Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
I agree....

I should take him up on this - just so happens I have a 250 in the DC area :)

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
I had a number of people tell me to take the test on a scooter to pass it. I did the MSF anyway so it didn't matter, but I couldn't take these people seriously. I wanted to learn how to ride, not cheat my way through and start riding with no idea what I was doing on a real bike.

And yes, If this guy can't pass the test on his R1, he should consider a different bike. I will admit, the DMV test is not easy, but it isn't impossible. Besides, I have seen it passed on MUCH larger bikes then an R1.

·
Banned Member
4,562 Posts
So then you should have to take the test with each successive bike you purchase? I agree!

From what I hear, the steering dampers make manuvering that slow a little difficult. Either way, if you can't handle it under 20mph then you can't handle it.

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
what does being able to maneuver at 5mph REALLY have to do with being able to operate a motorcycle on the Highways?

A: NOT A DAMM THING!

People ride all kinds of bikes with aplomb but if they can't twist that thing in between some cones, they shouldn't be able to ride it on the road? Give me a break. Heck, the only thing the test does is prove you are able to operate a motorcycle in a parking lot- thus relieving the state from some responsibility by ensuring you can get onto the street safely after they give you your license.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
How expensive is the class? I bet it wasnt more expensive than the difference in price between that R1 and a more beginner friendly bike like a 500 or 250....

poser....

Went back to the MSF track on my SV to try some of the stuff we did there on the dual sports...it was a bit tougher, but definatly not impossible to do on the sv...

·
OberKommandant
6,128 Posts
Chances are, if he can't pass on his R1, he won't pass on the 250 either. He may have been riding for a while but DMV tests your slow maneuvering skills and he obviously has't developed those yet.

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
I suggest anyone who has not tried to cone-weave a modern supersport refrain from commenting.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
If the steering damper is the problem, take it off. It's like four bolts. And I still say solid low speed riding skills will enhance your ability at any speed. The low speed stuff might seem pointless, but it is a good way to really learn how the bike behaves. At least in my mind it helped me a lot.

edit: Zach has a point, clip ons don't make the weave easy at all, but they don't make it impossible. With enough practice you can make just about any bike do just about anything. The inability doesn't bother me, it's the unwillingness to learn.

·
Banned Member
4,562 Posts
what does being able to maneuver at 5mph REALLY have to do with being able to operate a motorcycle on the Highways?

A: NOT A DAMM THING!

You should be able to operate your vehicle safely within all legal speeds. That is ZERO MPH to the posted limit. Although riding under 20mph has nothing to do with highway speeds, tooling around down town is a different story.

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
bullsh!t

an R1 behaves COMPLETELY different at 5mph than it does at 50.

the steering head angle is designed to give the bike stability at speed- at the sacrifice of a substantial lack of stability at low speeds.

·
Registered
720 Posts
bullsh!t

an R1 behaves COMPLETELY different at 5mph than it does at 50.

the steering head angle is designed to give the bike stability at speed- at the sacrifice of a substantial lack of stability at low speeds.
if my msf instructor can do all the tests on his goldwing, you should be able to do it on your r1.

modern liter bikes aren't much different in size than 600s anyways. the first generation r1s were actually SMALLER than comparable 600s.

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
You should be able to operate your vehicle safely within all legal speeds. That is ZERO MPH to the posted limit. Although riding under 20mph has nothing to do with highway speeds, tooling around down town is a different story.
I do not disagree with this. But it is my argument that the standardized tests are not appropriate for all motorcycles on the road today.

heck, look at that new honda chopper- would you be able to weave that thing?

Don't get me wrong, the accident avoidance and braking parts of the test are spot on. It's the low speed maneuverability sections that need tweaking.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Just to point out that the "way too expensive MSF class" is typically $125ish if you can find a state-subsidized slot in a course.

So he can afford 80 bucks to borrow a bike, but not 125 to learn, after buying an R1? I call lazy/too proud to go to a course and listen to what the instructors have to say.

·
Banned Member
4,562 Posts
I do not disagree with this. But it is my argument that the standardized tests are not appropriate for all motorcycles on the road today.

heck, look at that new honda chopper- would you be able to weave that thing?

Don't get me wrong, the accident avoidance and braking parts of the test are spot on. It's the low speed maneuverability sections that need tweaking.
Well, that's about all the state has money to support. I like it because dopes who but the $11,000 liter bike and don't have any money left to take the MSF are weeded out. ;D

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
Well, that's about all the state has money to support. I like it because dopes who but the $11,000 liter bike and don't have any money left to take the MSF are weeded out. ;D
hell, what do i know, I got a 100% with gsx-r forks and clip-ons smashing my hands into the tank.

;D

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I have heard several times the DMV course is much harder than the MSF course and I guess that just proves it again.

Personally I think slow takes skill regardless of the bike you are riding and that more people should practice the menuvers more often. but eh LOL Im still a newb so dont listen to me.
I agree that some of the litre bikes are harder to maneuver. I havent riden but been a passenger on them @ slow speeds and I could feel the difference. And yes a goldwing can do it and and yeah a supersport can too! but it taks practice. Poor guy just isnt used to doing it on his bike and hasnt practiced enough on his bike to know how to do it on his bike is all. Besides lil 250s are flickable and easy to throw around!

·
Registered
334 Posts
i don't know about your state's test but the figure 8 inside a box here is pretty tight. i have many friends that couldn't pass it on their literbikes and they have years and years of experience on the street and dirt.

but maybe some people would rather not have low speed drops so why risk it trying a >5mph u turn when they can just drag their feet everywhere outside the test? i wouldn't want to try it on my 1k. i could probably do it but why risk it? i could walk my bike around on the side all over the garage in sandals but i dont because i like to eliminate all chance of a stupid dropover.

but i forgot if you dont do msf and dont get a 250 or 500 to start on youre just an idiot and cant ride:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 79 Posts