Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Would you potentially be interested in this?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I am new here but i am in the process if making a bolt on supercharger kit for the suzuki Sv-650.. I am teaming up with a local machine shop and i will be making all in one supercharger kit that can be rebuilt, upgraded, changed to your liking, It will be very thorough and can be installed and removed as you need without extensively modifying your vehicle... I am based out of canada where insurance for bikes is crazy so "just buying a bigger bike" is off the table... I was originally was going to just do it for myself but I figured some of you guys would really enjoy it (even if you guys dont know a whole lot about bikes) I would do all of the hard work, considerations and perfecting so you guys can get a affordable+user friendly kit with a detailed installation guide even the most novice people can install (if they have the tools). Please show this to your friends and other people, because i will need your support

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i see lots of liability for blown up cranks in your future
It will not be obscene amounts of boost, It will not be to squeeze every bit of power out of your engine, It will be for reasonable amount of gains without sacrificing reliability

·
very big dumb
9,021 Posts
the problem is that there isn't much to be had before the bike becomes a grenade. especially with stock bottom end parts. basically 90hp at the wheel is a grenade with its pin out even with a better crank and rods, 85hp is a couple seasons. 80 is probably the most you can do without totally killling reliability.
those same gains can be had by much simpler, easier to tune, etc. means (cams, tbs, etc). like... 80hp at the wheel with boltons costs maybe $1000-$1500

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the problem is that there isn't much to be had before the bike becomes a grenade. especially with stock bottom end parts. basically 90hp at the wheel is a grenade with its pin out even with a better crank and rods, 85hp is a couple seasons. 80 is probably the most you can do without totally killling reliability.
those same gains can be had by much simpler, easier to tune, etc. means (cams, tbs, etc)
Thanks for the great feedback! I have considered this already and have a solution! :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
awesome! if it works out, lots of people would be fairly excited for easy power gains
Its exciting as it is for your guys as it is for me!.... I will perform testing before hand to make sure that my system will perform to my high degree of expectation!

·
Registered
2019 Suzuki SV650X 2000 Kawasaki ZX12R
74 Posts
I know its hard to say now, but should it all work out what are you expecting for price point?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know its hard to say now, but should it all work out what are you expecting for price point?
It is hard to determine as of right now, but one of my goals will be to keep it as affordable as possible for you guys, while not sacrificing quality

·
Premium Member
'18 SV650
84 Posts
Two questions:
1. Were you born and raised in Canada? I ask this because the words you use do not resemble the speech of any Canadian I've known.

2. Exactly what are your engineering qualifications?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Two questions:
1. Were you born and raised in Canada? I ask this because the words you use do not resemble the speech of any Canadian I've known.

2. Exactly what are your engineering qualifications?
1. Yes I am born and raised in canada all my life (onterrible),Im not sure i undertstand the relevance of this (feel free to elaborate).. but on a side note I do find it important to be professional (not sure how that correlates to me not sounding canadian)

2. I am familiar with many of the processes of machining processes, materials processes, mechanical processes, what is needed to create a powerful engine, what is required to not push an engine past its limitions (preventing it from grenading, as the person before was talking about), and what is needed to optimise the engines efficiency (within its parameter) or what is needed to expand those parameters...To give you a quick example, say that I have an engine that is rated for 90HP, and i need to understand the weak spots in the engine to surpass that 90HP mark (always under rate it to be safe) Say if the engine comes stock with cast steel Connecting rods maybe choose forged steel connecting rods instead... All this being said Im as qualified as the next guy/ or woman

·
Super Moderator
7,079 Posts
I'd have to say, the SV may not be the best candidate for boosting. The SV650 is based on a 400, and just bumping it to 650 used-up some of its potential for withstanding extra stress.

Reliability of the engine in stock form, even on the track, is excellent but durability problems appear pretty quickly when looking for significant power increases.

The SV isn't like a Busa that has the potential to withstand power increases without major bottom-end work.

Finding an appropriate area to mount a supercharger could be challenging as well.

·
Premium Member
'18 SV650
84 Posts
1. Yes I am born and raised in canada all my life (onterrible),Im not sure i undertstand the relevance of this (feel free to elaborate).. but on a side note I do find it important to be professional (not sure how that correlates to me not sounding canadian)

2. I am familiar with many of the processes of machining processes, materials processes, mechanical processes, what is needed to create a powerful engine, what is required to not push an engine past its limitions (preventing it from grenading, as the person before was talking about), and what is needed to optimise the engines efficiency (within its parameter) or what is needed to expand those parameters...To give you a quick example, say that I have an engine that is rated for 90HP, and i need to understand the weak spots in the engine to surpass that 90HP mark (always under rate it to be safe) Say if the engine comes stock with cast steel Connecting rods maybe choose forged steel connecting rods instead... All this being said Im as qualified as the next guy/ or woman
1. The relevance of Canada is that it was part of your pitch - you say you're doing this because of Canadian insurance practices, and you also say you are 'teaming up with a local machine shop.' You also chose a non-Canadian spelling for one of your words. You may think you are being professional, but your writing - perhaps unintentionally - comes off as anything but. It has elements of condescension and really comes off as if you are a con-man.

2. To say you are 'as qualified as the next guy/ or woman' is to say you have no engineering qualifications at all. And I should think that substantial engineering expertise would be needed to design, test, and fabricate a product that meets all of your promises:

'all in one supercharger kit that can be rebuilt, upgraded, changed to your liking, It will be very thorough and can be installed and removed as you need without extensively modifying your vehicle... '​
'affordable+user friendly kit with a detailed installation guide even the most novice people can install'​

I do realize, of course, that it's possible you are a fine engineer whose communication skills are just a bit rusty. You could add a great deal to your credibility by sharing some photos, design drawings, or calculations. Surely you have some since your project is in progress?

And while you're at it, can you give some hint as to how you would make it easy for a novice to install a forged connecting rod, should one be part of your kit as your example suggests it might?

How old are you? What degrees do you hold, and from what schools? What is your present occupation?

I think these are all fair questions to ask someone who just shows up asking people who don't know him to support his idea. Thanks!

·
Registered
438 Posts
I voted no for two reasons: first one is that such a modification would make the bike no longer street legal in most of the (european) states I know of, and insurance would no longer cover it.
Second one is that for street riding SV power is (for me) more than enough: if I were to look for more power, I'd sell my SV and buy a different bike.

I appreciate that, for track use, there might be different considerations that come into play.

Reactions: URBANJUNGLE

·
Registered
393 Posts
I would spend my money elsewhere, better ways to make the sv fast. Don't want to add weight to my bike ( and possible problematical issues) trying to drop weight.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts