Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I took the MSF course this past weekend and must say I highly recommend that course for anyone getting a bike. Taught me some things that are different than I do when racing my dirtbike.

I took my bike outaround the neighborhood this evening about 3 times so I could get a feel for the bike and do some manuevering before I drove it anywhere else. I also needed to burn time until UPS showed up with my new Shoei RF-1000 helmet (I wore my Fox Dirtbike helmet until then ::). At first the bike ran good, then I noticed it acted like it wanted to cutoff a few times when I was slowing for a turn or stop. I got back to the house and was letting it idle for a few secs and noticed it was surging and almost would idle down below 1000rpm but then go back up to around 1300. If I hit the gas and brought the motor up to 4000 and let off it would idle fine for a little bit then back to acting up. It didn't surge while riding, only when idling or pulling in clutch to down shift. I noticed this screw was bouncing around on the throttle body...is it suppose to be snug against the TB or what??

http://www.geocities.com/bbmxta/sv650s/throttlebody.JPG

The dealer claimed to have filled the bike up with 93 octane. Could they have had old gas in it and just topped it off with some new gas and this be the problem? All I got with the bike was a safety manual and owners manual..was I suppose to get any tools? I did adjust the idle screw to 1500 but that didn't make a difference so I put it back around 1300.

I decided to run down the roadto a friends hose and when I was stopped at any light I had to keep slighlty on the gas for fear of it cutting off, it wasn't idling worth a crap but was smooth everywhere else up to 5000 (max I took it) maybe 6k. Any help would be great!

Also the bike sounded like it had a small exhaust leak near the front cylinder when I was running down the road...I will check the bolts on the flanges tomorrow. The idling is was has me disgusted right now.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
That's the end of the SecondaryThrottle Valve Actuator, my service manual doesn't talk about it. It just says don't remove it if your working on the throttle bodies. But it looks like it is the end of a rod that is operated by a servo or diaphragm.  It probably is suppose to move.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool, thanks.

anyone got any ideas on the idling problem...bike had basically 4 miles on it when I picked it up. Sparkplug wire, TPS?? Take it to a dealer and let them fool with it under warranty...which means I won't have the bike for about 1-2 weeks min.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Talked to the dealer I bought it from and they said it was a known problem and that there is a defect in the Spark Plug Boots for the 2005 models. Taking it to the dealer to get them replaced.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I wouldn't mess with it until you have the dealer take a look at it. Maybe you need to put some miles on it. Water in the fuel? Where I live that's a big problem. I work on generators, I live really rural. A lot of people live off the grid up here. I see a lot of water coming out of our only gas station. Causes things to run real funny.  :eek:

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
bbmxta said:
Talked to the dealer I bought it from and they said it was a known problem and that there is a defect in the Spark Plug Boots for the 2005 models.  Taking it to the dealer to get them replaced.
:mad:Did they fix your problem??? I just picked up my bike last week (2005 as well and mftd. in 11/04)...havent noticed any problems yet....if i do i will post here...

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just dropped it off and it cutoff once at a stop light, rest of time I was keeping it above 2k sitting at light so it wouldn't shut off. I can hear what sounds like arcing from the front of the bike. I thought it was a slight exhaust leak but now the more I listen it does sound like the arcing.

The service manager was a real "JERK", asked him to come listen to it...no just come on in, told him what the other dealer said concerning suzuki rep admitting there was a bad batch of plug wires that were installed on the 05 SV650's and he didn't seem to care, just told me to leave the key in it and they would get it. Already admitted it would take them a week to get parts in. The guys attitude the entire time was I don't really want to help you in any way KISS MY BUTT. Granted this wasn't the shop I bought it from but the salesman even admitted he tried to find me a 05 like I got and he couldn't find one and he admitted that the price I got he couldn't have beat. Told me to come back when I was ready to upgrade. Hate to say it but if their service dept. acts like Jerks all the time I won't be back. I would rather pay for the wires and install them myself. I have 35 miles on the bike when I dropped it off and who knows how well they will keep it under 5k during the test drive or if the thing will have any scratches on it when I get it back.

I will let everyone know what the problem was. The dealer Ibought it from said that most don't show up until 1-2k miles on the bike concerning the plug wires. Said Suzuki had not issued a TSB yet but they were going to according to the area rep.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
bbmxta said:
Granted this wasn't the shop I bought it from but the salesman even admitted he tried to find me a 05 like I got and he couldn't find one and he admitted that the price I got he couldn't have beat.  Told me to come back when I was ready to upgrade.
How did you end up at another dealer?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well the dealer near me didn't have any and couldn't find any. I searched all night last tuesday and came across 2 yellow SV650S left in the SE and the closest one was 4 hours away. Their website showed $5499 +$249 setup fee +tax, there showroom floor had $5899 but they honored the $5499 price and I drove over and got it the next day. So, I didn't feel like driving 7-8 hours both ways to take my bike back to them and then drive back again when it was fixed.

I did call the dealer in town back and told them I would pay for overnight or 2day air shiping if they would give me a call when they started to order the parts and they said they would. The guy was a little nicer this time and said he was waiting for the area rep to call him back with the parts they needed that were known to be defective. I will be shocked if I get it back by next week this time. Only reason why I offered to pay for next day shipping is b/c everytime I have ordered parts from them it took 1-2 weeks to come in if not longer. I WANT TO RIDE DANGIT!!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Turn him in. I use to be a Suzuki Service Manager, and the last thing I wanted to get was a call from U.S.Suzuki asking me what's up. You call, they usually jump. 714-572-1490 Suzuki Customer Service. 8:30-5:00pm PST. Don't let him treat you that way, it wasn't your fault it has a problem. And they get paid to fix it even though they didn't sell it. Stuff like this just pisses me off. There's no reason to treat customers like he did. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
I'm glad you got this figured out. the same day I bought my '05 SV650S, i rode probably 25 miles and mine started doing the same thing. Took it in, my dealer was an ass as well. Didnt have my bike for the first nice weekend of the year, got it back, started again by the time I got home. It was cold and I had to go to work so didnt bring it in for a few days, dealer was even more of an ass when I brought it back. It was a huge chore, but after 3 times, they finally figured it out. The first time I brought it in, the guy was like, well, we dont have any problems with these so. I was so pissed. Anyways, they figured it was the same thing as yours. Just had to throw my 2 cents into here too. Glad you got yours figured out.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the number Jimmie...that can be very useful to have. It seemed a little nicer when I spoke to him about the overnight shipping even though IMO suzuki should pay for it to be overnighted but whatever it takes to get it back.

05SVS, yeah I hope that is it, I haven't gotten it back yet but the dealer I bought it from seemed to be pretty postive that it was the wires. Personaly I would have rather just ordered them myself and did it this weekend but being it was new I will let the dealer do it.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok need to vent lol.

I called Suzuki CS to get things moving quicker and I am glad I did. Come to find out the dealer had not contacted the area rep at all...not suprised because I gathered I was asking the dealer questions and getting a yes answer for everything I asked as if he was just telling me what I wanted to hear. called Suzuki back and they are following up on it and will give me a call back and let me know of the progress.

Why can't we have and honest and willing to help service depts these days? I would not treat ppl like idiots or crap like most do if it were my shop and if I found somone doing it they would be gone after a few warnings. They wouldn't want to be treated that way so don't do it to us! Ahhh!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Most mechanic's aren't getting paid enough money to make them happy. So they really don't like their jobs at all. And then they take it out on the poor customers that just want to get their bikes fixed.  :'(

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well the parts were ordered overnight delivery on Thursday (according to the manager) however on Saturday there were still not parts so maybe they ordered them to late on thursday. I don't thik they were ordered overnight to be honest just another one of those "yes" answers when I asked if they were. I'll call back on wednesday and if they still aren't there I am going to get my bike back and have a sit down talk with the owner of the shop who I have know for a long time.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dealer called me today (Tuesday) and said the bike was ready! Rode it for over an hour after I got it and had no idling problems after they replaced the caps. I will call back tomorrow to find out exactley what was replaced. I was so glad to get my bike back I forgot to ask exactley what parts they replaced. All I know is there were three total replaced.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts