Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just bought a 2002 sv 650 with 3800 miles on it. Love this bike, but it idles right around 2500 rpm. I bought it used at a dealer and I don't know how long it's been sitting. I have a few snowmobiles and I know on them usually pulling carbs and cleaning them can be a life saver. What about on these? It has a yoshi full pipe and I assume jetting, but not sure. It runs great just idles high. It had about a half tank in it when I got it, so I topped it off with fresh gas and was putting some miles on it to see if it got better. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Make sure the choke is fully off (pushed forward). After that, adjust idle with the little knob on the left side of the bike, just under the fuel tank. Should be set at roughly 1300 rpm.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Check to make sure the choke is off (left side handlebar slide control). It should have a noticable effect on your idle as you change its position. If the choke is off and it is still idling too high, adjust the idle with the idle adjust knob. I forget what side it is on, but if you can't find it I'll go take a look.

Sometimes a high idle can mask other problems. It might not idle any lower. If that's the case you need to start diagnosing the fuel system to see what the problem is. It could be just clogged slow jets. No big deal.

Let us know
Mike M.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
What about getting the dealership to fix it? Aren't they supposed to recondition bikes when selling them?

The idle adjustment screw/knob is on the left side of the engine (as you're sitting on it), and it in the corner where 2 pieces of the frame meet. Can't find any pics ATM.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts