Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my friend just picked up a yellow 05 SV650S and after we brought it home from the dealership we noticed that it was having problems idling...

It would try to idle around 1400rpm, but then drops down to 500rpm and then swings back up and down over and over and finally stalls out after a little bit of this... We tried adjusting the idle up a little but it still surges and drops, just not to the point where it stalls...

I know the easy answer is to take it back to the dealer to have it looked at and we are going to do that in a few days ( the dealer is 45 minutes and a nasty interstate ride away ) but we were hoping someone might know of an easy fix for this...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Although its not what you wanted to hear, I would definately take it back to the dealership. It's probably just fouled plugs, but there are other, more serious, things that it could be.

Its a brand new bike, and its under warranty... take it to the dealer.

Y

·
0 Posts
Scotch said:
Although its not what you wanted to hear, I would definately take it back to the dealership. It's probably just fouled plugs, but there are other, more serious, things that it could be.

Its a brand new bike, and its under warranty... take it to the dealer.
+1 - You should not have to diagnose a new bike.... they should be supplying a prefectly healthy new bike... whatta PITA.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Same here!!!!!!!!!

I'm not sure this will make you feel any better, but this exact same thing happened to my bike ('05 650S). I took it back, they took it apart and put it back together, whatever that means, and it didnt idle rough anymore. by the time I got it home, was doing the same thing. Took it back a little pissed off this time as I had already missed the only nice weekends we've had here in the frosty ND, the guy said this time that he replaced a spark plug wire end that he thought was grounding out on the cyl. wall (couldnt get it to misfire with that plug not on while testing which cyl. was the problem child)

Hasnt done it since, though I still get nervous sometimes, but it seems to run fine now. Basically it started misfiring on me, if you feel the exhaust, you can really tell its misfiring badly. The guy acted all mad at me too like this doesnt happen to these bikes. Glad to hear it didnt just happen to me, sorry your friend has to deal with this as well though, its a pain, but hopefully your dealership can figure it out faster than mine did. Now at least I can go back to the guy that was being a jerk, and let him know I've heard of other issues just like what I had, with the same bike (when I first brought it back, the guy acted all pissy like I had done something wrong, and said, thats odd because "we havent had any problems with these." Pissed me off, he couldve been nice about it. If it happened 1 more time I would've gotten a new one under the lemon Law in ND).

M

·
0 Posts
The guy was 'pissy' because he didn't do his job, that he no doubt charged you for, before you took delivery and it came back to bite him in the behind.

The good news is there are other dealers. The next sound he would hear from me would be the sound of my pencil crossing his name off my list of places to spend money.

See the thread below.

http://forum.svrider.com/viewtopic.php?t=38363

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah... kind of sounds like a similar situation (I started the other thread), although I can't really fault the dealer in my case - the problem wasn't immediately apparent to me either - when we picked up the bike it was running fine, and so far the mechanic looking at it now seems to be up and up. I wish it was fixed already, but he's been straight with me and is blaming Suzuki for the issue and not trying to put it on me or anything.

In my case there is another bike at the same shop with the exact same problem too, so it leads me to believe there might have been some mistakes at the factory on the 05's.

There's no excuse for rudeness though. Anybody can make a mistake, including a big corporation - expecting perfection all the time is unrealistic - but expecting people to be courteous is not.

Would one of these threads be a good candidate for a sticky or a note on the web site? It might help people dealing with uncooperative dealerships to be able to bring in some evidence that there might be a bigger problem....

·
Registered
629 Posts
I am having the same problems guys...what was the outcome or results?

·
Registered
21 Posts
OK everybody,
I had the same issue and it was definitly crappy. Take it back to the dealer and get them to fix it. Tell them to take a look at the coils and the spark caps. The caps were the issue on mine. Also, by the what is happening when it drops to 500 rpms is that it is dropping one of the cylenders, most likely the rear. That was the issue on mine. now it is fixed and running great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts