Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's getting near the freezing point over here in Canada and I'm trying to keep riding into work with my non-heated gear for as long as I can take. I feel like the bike is giving in before I am... Just these past two days I've had an issue where at a stand still — clutch in/1st gear — the revs have been sporadically dropping.

They will drop to about 8–900 every couple of seconds. The strange thing to me is that this doesn't happen immediately after starting and riding the bike. It has only happened about a few minutes into the ride while stopped. The bike starts up just fine and it doesn't seem to be an issue once I've been moving for awhile and it's warmed up.

Twice today I had this happen just as I was starting to let the clutch out to get going and stalled at a light which traffic doesn't seem to appreciate.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Seems like the fast idle works when starting the bike, but doesn't allow the bike to warm up. If you didn't have to stop the engine would probably warm and not stall. You might try to let the bike idle longer after initial start up and then start off. Are you due for a tune up, plugs, air filter, etc? Is the engine upon start up idling above normal warm idle rpm? Cold temps can bring to light the need to perform routine service procedures to keep the fuel, air and spark working within spec.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Checked things out, everything obvious seemed to be in order.

This morning the bike started presenting this issue immediately after starting, but again I figured it would be fine once the bike was warm if I just kept my eye/ear on the revs. Got to work okay, but the way home is a different story.

The bike wasn't starting after work. Gave it a few tries and with a bit of throttle I got it going. Problem was now I had to keep on the throttle or the bike would choke out. For the short time I kept riding before I decided to get a lift home, the bike now felt like it was going in and out of running on one cylinder. It had also backfired a couple times and smelled pretty rich.

Once home I gave starting it a couple tries again. Got it going, and it ran without any application of throttle, but this time immediately seemed to be running on only one cylinder. After a few minutes it choked out on it's own. I gave the headers a feel and the portion running from the front cylinder barely seemed warm while the back was hot. I pulled the front plug and checked for moisture, didn't find anything (unless it evaporated in the 30 minutes it took me to get the sucker out). I put the plug to the frame and cranked it over, definitely had spark. I waited about 15 minutes and then started it up again with NO issue and both cylinders seemed to be working/idling properly.

What the ****?

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Possible bad plug or cap or lead wire. Changing the plug or just swapping with the rear plug would help with the diagnosis. Any corrosion inside the cap?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just as a follow up to any who might encounter a similar problem down the road...

Eventually this issue turned into consistently running on one (the rear) cyclinder. After some long-winded diagnosing which included swapping the ignition coils around, I determined that the front coil was somehow defective. I got a replacement, threw in some new spark plugs, and now everything seems to be okay.

·
Registered
1 Posts
First of all I'd like to thank all those who take time from their busy lives to post helpful advice on this forum as well as all types of forums.
I bought my 07sv650n last year in pristine condition. My problem though was that after riding for a few minutes it would stall out as I clutched while coming to a red light. I'd coast to the stop and quickly start her up again.
Mods that came with the bike were a K&N air filter and a Scorpion CF Shorty exhaust without the baffle. The sound is pretty damn good!
I figured it had to be one of the mods causing the problem. Cleaning and lubricating the air filter was the first thing that I worked on. Did not help.
I went ahead and purchased a Wyseco "power commander" thingy. Good product I'm sure but probably an unnecessary purchase. Continued to stall.
I then focused my attention to the exhaust. Though I loved the exhaust note, I thought that maybe she needed the baffle for back pressure. Getting one from Scorpion seemed difficult. For $45 I bought one on Amazon. Shipped from the UK. Good grief. Took a little time a effort but I installed it.
Took it for a ride and it stalled out as usual. Did I buy a lemon?
Well today, after reading this thread or maybe a similar thread I decided to inspect the clutch safety switch. **It had been bypassed**. Done well I might add. I reattached the yellow and black cables to the male prongs of the switch in a crude way for testing purposes. I took it for a ride and Eureka! She didn't stall! That was the problem. I read that the clutch safety switch helps maintain an appropriate idle when the clutch lever is squeezed thus preventing stalling. I took the baffle out and rode her some more without any problems. Hope this long winded report helps someone.
I now hope to finally enjoy my SV.
Once again, thanks to all of you who post answers to problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts