Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll freely admit that I've never taken much of anything apart on my bike (okay, I've done the seat, cowl, opened up the tank... that's pretty much it). So... When I go to take off the top triple (so I can get the Heli Bars off), do I need to suspend the front end before I take it off, or can I just leave the bike on the rear stand only and still have the front wheel on the floor?

I know that if I were to do that with a bicycle, I could pull everything back together when I put the upper headset races in and tension it all up. But is there too much weight on the steerer to get it all snugged back up when I put the top triple back on?

Thanks for helping out a noob...

·
Registered
828 Posts
As long as you only loosen the nut ABOVE the triple (and the pinch bolts around the fork tubes), you should be fine.
yes and no. yes its POSSIBLE. but its not easy. when you take off the top triple with the wheel on the ground the fork tubes will slightly angle themselves off. so getting the top triple back on will be very hard. you have a car jack? or some sort of hydraulic jack? put it under your motor(with board in between) and lift it up so its the wheel isnt loaded down.

hope this is understandable.

·
Registered
465 Posts
good chance that you'll be OK without getting the front end off the ground. I did it recently - few taps with the rubber mallet put the top triple right back on.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, I think what I might do is to jack up the center a little bit just to take some weight off the front but still keep it touching.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
yes and no. yes its POSSIBLE. but its not easy. when you take off the top triple with the wheel on the ground the fork tubes will slightly angle themselves off. so getting the top triple back on will be very hard. you have a car jack? or some sort of hydraulic jack? put it under your motor(with board in between) and lift it up so its the wheel isnt loaded down.

hope this is understandable.
This is good info, but it really shouldn't be an issue unless your steering stem is not properly torqued. Can't hurt to take some weight off the front, though, unless you knock the bike over. ;)

·
Registered
828 Posts
Okay, I think what I might do is to jack up the center a little bit just to take some weight off the front but still keep it touching.
exactly what i do.

This is good info, but it really shouldn't be an issue unless your steering stem is not properly torqued. Can't hurt to take some weight off the front, though, unless you knock the bike over. ;)
but its on a rearstand. if you knock it off, it'll just fall onto the wheel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts