Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the screw that allows the mirror to pivot on its base. The screw is loose and the mirror is moving all over the place. I can't find the right tool in my box to tighten it up... :x

Thanks for any help you can offer!

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Marc said:
Don't you just tighten up the nut with a socket to tighten the pivot joint?
That's what i thought but you can't fit a socket in there due to the sides being so close to the screw. I thought maybe an allen wrench would fit in the unusual head of the screw but it is definitely not an allen head. I think that head simply accepts the cap that goes over the entry point.

N

·
0 Posts
Is the screw itself loose i.e. can you turn it, or wiggle it? The reason why you can find a tool to fit it is that there isn't one. The top of the screw has been mushroomed with a chisel to retain the nut- mine's the same way.

If the screw isn't wiggly, you may be able to tighten the nut with a thin center punch or nail set. Make sure whatever you use has a sharp tip and put a good dimple in the nut. You may be able to gently drive the nut around enough to tighten it.

Alternatively, you could carefully slot the top of the screw with a Dremel so you could use a standard screwdriver on it.

You could also grind a 10mm socket to fit or, even better, get someone to turn a socket down on a lathe (you can buy thin walled sockets, but they're not cheap).

If you ever do get the screw out, give it a drop of LocTite red before you stick it back in so you won't have to do this again!

Good luck!

:)

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nc_sv650 said:
Is the screw itself loose i.e. can you turn it, or wiggle it? The reason why you can find a tool to fit it is that there isn't one. The top of the screw has been mushroomed with a chisel to retain the nut- mine's the same way.

If the screw isn't wiggly, you may be able to tighten the nut with a thin center punch or nail set. Make sure whatever you use has a sharp tip and put a good dimple in the nut. You may be able to gently drive the nut around enough to tighten it.

Alternatively, you could carefully slot the top of the screw with a Dremel so you could use a standard screwdriver on it.

You could also grind a 10mm socket to fit or, even better, get someone to turn a socket down on a lathe (you can buy thin walled sockets, but they're not cheap).

If you ever do get the screw out, give it a drop of LocTite red before you stick it back in so you won't have to do this again!

Good luck!

:)
The screw is not loose. When i removed the unit from the handle bar and unscrewed the mirror stem you can see the side of the screw...it looks like it has some kind of spring wrapped around it.

Thanks for the advice...i'll try the dremel route 1st and if that falls I'll go for the socket. Thanks :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'm not trying to be a smartazz, but why even bother trying to fix a mirror you can only partially see out of anyway. Mine was loose too and that just confirmed my decision to repalce with the Napolean bar end mirrors.
Visability to the rear is outstanding and the whole bikes appearance is improved.
Cheers! :wink:

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A1A said:
I'm not trying to be a smartazz, but why even bother trying to fix a mirror you can only partially see out of anyway. Mine was loose too and that just confirmed my decision to repalce with the Napolean bar end mirrors.
Visability to the rear is outstanding and the whole bikes appearance is improved.
Cheers! :wink:
Well...about two years ago, somebody on this site was making his own extensions for the stock mirrors. He was looking for some test subjects and i volunteered. He sent me a beta pair and they're the best. My rear sight line is totally unimpaired.

But in all honesty, at 1st I just wanted to fix the damn thing cause its annoying to have to move it back into position all the time. However, now i need to fix it because I don't want to be the b*tch of some f'n screw :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts