Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After owning this backpack for about 3 weeks, the straps and the shoulder padding ripped. It was not so bad that I could not use it, but it was only 3 weeks of use. Therefore, I tried to go back to the PX (AAFES) to replace it. They told me that I had to contact ICON directly as they do not handle warranty stuff.

I emailed ICON to try to info on how to use the warranty, and much to my surprise ICON does not deal with customers at all. I received this reply (This is my email and the reply)

I bought an Icon Squad II backpack and within the first month of owning it / the first long distance ride I took (500 miles. the front where the straps go into the front the stitching has come out and the foam is showing.

Being in the military, I have to have a complete vest and so I have had to purchase another vest because this is not useable any more.

How can I get this bag replaced / fixed?

I do like the bag and I hope to be able to use it in the future, but I am not happy with the stitching as it has already come apart.

I bought the bag at AAFES, and they told me I had to contact you directly for any warranty stuff as they do nothing but sell products.

Thank you for your time and attention

James

I would like to point out that all of the ICON products are backed by a 1-year warranty from the date the item was purchased. ICON is a dealer direct company, so all purchases and returns are handled through our retailers. Anyone who is selling the ICON brand will also be responsible for accept a return for any item sold by them.

Jeremy P
Parts Unlimited / ICON

Now I know that this should be a simple thing, tell me where to ship it, send me a new bag all is well, and I would most likely write how good ICON CS is. However, no, it is not that simple.
ICON does not want to work with me, AAFES are a bunch of money-grubbing @#$$%@# who no longer work for the soldier’s. So what do I have to do?
Just to try I brought the bag to another store who sell’s it, and they said sorry but since I bought it from somewhere else they would not return it for me. (I understand that, and respect it) so what to do from here. I call ICON and try to explain to them that AAFES does not want to help, the response that I get is sorry; we do not deal with customers. I ask to speak with the next higher, after about five mins a new person comes on the phone and says the same thing.

So I go to AAFES with email to show that they are suppose to deal with it, they say sorry. They do not deal with warranty stuff.
Well then, I get a bright idea, since I was already pissed off at AAFES and ICON for being such imbeciles. I tell AAFES that I want to return the bag, since it was only 3 weeks. They tell me sorry I cannot since it is ripped, (damage above normal wear). I start laughing at them. Now I am extremely pissed off. I tell them that they need to get the manager over here now. About 15 min’s later a lady walks out of the back and asks what the problem is. After explaining everything to her again, she said sorry it is ripped above normal wear and they cannot do anything. I tell her to get her boss over here. She tells me it is the district manager and that is not going to help.
Now there are 3 MP’s standing in the CS area just watching what is going on, (waiting for me to do something crazy) and I am pissed. So I turn around walk out of the PX and go grab some food at the food court sit down and start thinking.

One of the GameStop guys (The manager) who I talk to when I go into the PX comes over and asks what is going on, I tell him. I show him the email, and he is the store manager at game stop. He tells me to wait, calm down, and relax. He goes and grabs his store phone call’s the district manger (who also manages all the side stores) and explains the situation to him. (This PX has been in trouble before for not helping people). I am told to bring the bag back in to the PX, and go grab a new bag, do not talk to anyone, and drop the ripped bag on the CS desk, and walk out with a new bag. Problem solved.
Lol, umm no. So I do that, and walk back to the game stop, about 20 feet from the PX door, and then the 3 MP’s grab me and tell me that I am now detained for stealing PX property.
The GameStop manager hands the phone to the MP’s and the district manager explain to them what happened. I am finally let go, after about 10 mins and I finally have a new bag.

Moral of the story for me. Never buy ICON anything or go to the PX.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I hate CS people who act like you're asking them to personally pay for your replacement. In the military, it was like getting supply pogs to give you new gear. They act like the warehouse is their personal stash that you're raiding.

·
Premium Member
4,845 Posts
Contact Icon directly. It looks like you were dealing with Parts Unlimited, a distributor for Icon. There is a difference. What you heard wasn't necessarily Icon's stand on the matter; it seems like Parts Unlimited just wanted to "pass the buck", which is stupid.

I'd be willing to bet that Icon will take care of you if you contact them direct.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
sound like there needs to be some personnel review at the exchange. here at Luke AFB i've had nothing but good service from the exchange employees.

·
Registered
747 Posts
AAFES is a joke. I ordered a ring from them years ago when I got married. 6 months went by playing phone tag and still no ring.

Long story short, I never got a ring and it took forever to get my money back.

Are you in an aviation unit? Make friends with the guys that take care of the pilot gear. I work in Aircrew Flight Equipment (USAF though), and we sew stuff all the time. I just bought a used Icon tank bag, and repaired a bunch of stuff, and made some improvements as well.

Yes, I'm a man and I know my way around a sewing machine.... :laughing1:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Icon was completely the other way when I contacted them. The first time was about the same backpack you have. I asked why the model in the local CycleGear lacked the faceshield pocket. I thought someone had bought the backpack, removed the faceshield pocket, and returned it. I wrote to Icon and they responded within hours that the faceshield pocket was no longer incorporated into the bags. The second contact was even better. I found a Icon Daytona jacket for half price. It did not include the St. Christopher's medal in the breast pocket. I wrote again. This time I received a letter explaining that the early production Daytona jackets did not have the medal, but they included two medals with the letter so I could sew one into the pocket. I thought the customer service was timely and courteous.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought it was weird thaT it was PU/ Icon but since I contacted icon from their website

Sent from my SPH-M910 using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am glad that you had better luck and CS from ICON.

Icon was completely the other way when I contacted them. The first time was about the same backpack you have. I asked why the model in the local CycleGear lacked the faceshield pocket. I thought someone had bought the backpack, removed the faceshield pocket, and returned it. I wrote to Icon and they responded within hours that the faceshield pocket was no longer incorporated into the bags. The second contact was even better. I found a Icon Daytona jacket for half price. It did not include the St. Christopher's medal in the breast pocket. I wrote again. This time I received a letter explaining that the early production Daytona jackets did not have the medal, but they included two medals with the letter so I could sew one into the pocket. I thought the customer service was timely and courteous.
As for AAFES, I really do not care about what they do; I will never shop at Fort Gordon's PX again. I am in the process of filing a complaint with AAFES corporate HQ. Along with one with the BBB.

Rude and inconsiderate CS people should be fired. (Get a job that does not require you to deal with people if you do not like people) double so on a military base where the CIV. think that they all are better than the soldiers are and treat most of them like trash.

No I do not think that soldiers are better than CIV. but I think that everyone should not be treated as a lesser because of what job they have.

RUDE and inconsiderate AAFES employee's are at every AAFES place I have ever been to, it is as if they search them out to higher them. (Bosnia, Africa, Afghanistan, Kuwait, Hawaii, and DC (But that is to be expected) Fort Campbell, Fort Gordon, ETC...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts