Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my best friend has four bikes, a '98 Ducati Monster 750, '04 Yamaha R1, his wife's Honda Rebel (on the selling block) and a 2000 Ducati 748. The 748 has had major clutch troubles for the last couple of years and has cost him around $3,000 to keep running. His original dealer has gone out of business and the place he goes to for maintenance just raised their per hour rates to $120/hr!!! The average shop is only $60/hour.

So we found a new Ducati dealership (new to us anyway) south of Fort Worth called AMS (Advanced Motor Sports). And decided to check it out to help get his 748 back on the road.

This place is fookin' COOL!!! :shock:

Not only are they a fully stocked Ducati dealer, they are also a licensed Ducati Corse RACING, Ohlins RACING and half a dozen other aftermarket racing parts dealer and service shop. Plus their rates for street bike service is right in line with all the other Jap shops in town. Excellent! The owners and service guys there are Aussies too, which sounds really cool. I guess it just adds to the whole exotic foreign experience. ;)

They also have these steel racks up above the bikes at the back of the showroom floor with about 15-20 retired racebikes all the was back to the 50s, including a bike ridden by Neil Hodgson and a couple of older AMA racers, I can't remember who's they were though. We got to walk around in the seriously well-equipped and immaculate workshop and we even got to poke around in the stock room. It looks like a Wal-Mart except everthing is perfectly packaged and organized Ducait parts! AMAZING! I even found that one of the guys that works there rides a copper SV650S! He came out to see mine and was very complimentary, hehehe. Hey its a twin after all. :)

So we get there yesterday, after an hour and a half ride down there, to find out that they are having a test ride day! Actually, it was Multistrada day, but outside they also had a couple of new Monster S4Rs S2Rs, and ST3 and two 999s models ready to roll!

So we fill out a simple liability form and they hand us the keys. I took the Monster S4R and my buddy hops on the 999s, and were off. "Come back with in a hour guys!" AN HOUR?!?!? :shock: AWESOME!!!

One of the other great things about this place is that its so far out of town, that its already in the middle of some of the nicer roads around the DFW area. Perfect for trying out sport bikes! And of course we swapped bikes for half the time too! We came back in about 35 minutes having put about 20-25 miles on these brand new bikes. We had to take it easy because of the new tires, but other than that they said "Don't worry about the engines, mates!" So, we didn't!

The Monster was SUPER comfortable and very flickable. An absolutely FUN bike to ride. Even with new tires it was very surefooted. But I have to say, for a liter bike it felt about as powerful as my SV650. Kind of disappointing, especially for $13,495! But for that price it does with a full titanium Arrow system that sounds unbelievable! :D Still, this might be my next bike, although I would put some clipons on it, I didn't really like the wide handlebars.

The 999s was about as aggressive a bike as I've ever been on, including the R1. The ergos are really hard on the lower back, the seat is like a stone bench, and the underseat exhaust absolutely fried my ass! In fact my legs were on fire from my ankles up. That bike gets HOT! Its SUPER narrow too, it feels like your knees are touching when you grip the tank, but its not uncomfortable. I bet you could hang WAY off on that thing. The back end was WAY squirrely on me.. new tires and lots of torque. The back end was sliding out on me in a couple of turns, but it was still controllable. I don't know if this is normal for that bike or not, but I've never experienced that on any other bike. In a straight line it was very quick, but unlike the I4s you don't have to keep it wound up to 8k or 9k to be in the powerband. It actually pulls hard right from 3,000rpm... but unlike the SV it keeps pulling harder and harder all the way up as far as I could push it. The suspension and brakes were like butter and felt good even for someone of my weight--while the Monster was completely undersprung for me.

Another nice thing about this shop is that they will set up your suspension for you--including proper rate springs etc... before you leave the shop with your new bike. They don't make that an option that you have to pay extra for. NICE!!

One thing to mention though is that these Ducati's are quirky. The first thing we both noticed getting back on our Japanese bikes was how smooth they are and comparitively effortless to ride.

It was a really great day and I'll say that if I ever do get decadent and decide buy a Ducati, this will be my dealer.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Novadesigns said:
So we fill out a simple liability form and they hand us the keys. I took the Monster S4R and my buddy hops on the 999s, and were off. "Come back with in a hour guys!" AN HOUR?!?!? :shock: AWESOME!!!

One thing to mention though is that these Ducati's are quirky. The first thing we both noticed getting back on our Japanese bikes was how smooth they are and comparitively effortless to ride.
That sounds like a fookin blast! I've been drooling over the blue S4R with the white stripe for years. I am suprised to hear you say it didn't feel much stronger than the SV. When I got an hour or so on my freinds 748, it didn't seem much stronger either, even at 97hp. I think that Duc's are sneaky fast, it pulls much like the SV but keeps building smoothly. I think 100hp I4's feel much more punchy than 100hp twins. Sneaky I tell ya'!

I'd LOVE to take a spin on a 999! Wow!

C

·
0 Posts
i want to ask about the cbr rear whell you have on your sv. how hard is it to get this wheel to fit? do you need spacers? where can i get them.? thanks mike. [email protected]. if you have any pics of the installation of the rear wheel that would be really cool.agian thanks,mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts