Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have the slightest idea how to gain sponsorship, let alone how to get into any sort of racing series.

I'm just looking for a little advice. I don't have any money of my own to even purchase or maintain a track bike since I'm still in college.

Is it even possible? I'm in the dark here.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
I guess I will have to be the one to break it to you, the chance of gaining sponsors without a race record is going to be pretty slim, and even with some racing under your belt to have sponsorships that even come close to covering your basic costs means you are going to have to be pretty darn good.
So, needing sponsorship to get a bike/ride ain't gonna happen.
However, you might have some opportunity with local businesses who know and also happen to like you to throw a little something your way.
I have one local business I consider a sponsor. It's an independent bike shop, and their support is in the form of deep, deep discounts on parts and service and support whenever I need.
The bike wears a few product stickers for items I run for the contigency dollars: Bridgestone, EBC.
Bottom line, racing is going to cost you and its going to have to come out of yor wallet. If you really want to race and are on a college student budget, get a Kaw 250 and race in the 250 class with one of many organizations.

·
Registered
220 Posts
1. Get a job (or a second one)
2. Save up enough to buy a cheap used 250
3. Pour thousands of dollars into tires, maintenance, upgrades, and track days
4. Win lots of races
5. Profit?

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess I will have to be the one to break it to you, the chance of gaining sponsors without a race record is going to be pretty slim, and even with some racing under your belt to have sponsorships that even come close to covering your basic costs means you are going to have to be pretty darn good.
So, needing sponsorship to get a bike/ride ain't gonna happen.
However, you might have some opportunity with local businesses who know and also happen to like you to throw a little something your way.
I have one local business I consider a sponsor. It's an independent bike shop, and their support is in the form of deep, deep discounts on parts and service and support whenever I need.
The bike wears a few product stickers for items I run for the contigency dollars: Bridgestone, EBC.
Bottom line, racing is going to cost you and its going to have to come out of yor wallet. If you really want to race and are on a college student budget, get a Kaw 250 and race in the 250 class with one of many organizations.
I'm looking into local 250 series racing. Thanks for the advice though. I figured it would be difficult or impossible to get full coverage sponsorship.

·
Super Moderator
7,038 Posts
Racing costs money. (period) You can't go racing unless you have it.

In order to get sponsors you need to get attention and give them something for their "investment" in you.

Winning races gets attention.

Start winning races and you will have a lot easier time getting sponsors.

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So the general consensus is that in order to get money for racing you must first have money for racing.

·
Registered
496 Posts
So the general consensus is that in order to get money for racing you must first have money for racing.

Yes, and usually quite a bit of it.

Bike + tires + gas + track fees add up very quickly.

No one does amateur motorcycle racing to get money. They do it because it's a fun way to SPEND money, and occasionally they get lucky enough with sponsors to break even.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
you know the easiest way to make a small fortune in racing?

start with a large one

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Forget sponsors, just finish in the top 5(ish) and your tire vendors pay you money. Just dont ever lose and you can ride for free. Just gotta hope the 20 other guys on the grid aren't thinking the same thing...

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Have you ever done a track day? Do you have a race license?

Probably need to start there

Soliciting sponsorships is hard, I used to do it in college for SAE Mini-Baja. You can get a couple hundred bucks at a time or discounts easy enough by jus hitting up local businesses, but not enough to actually run a team let alone start one!

Your best bet is to get your license and get onto an existing team and split the track/fuel/tire cost. You aren't going to be competitive ( starting too old and you don't have money) but you can still have fun

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Your best chance is if you have family and/friends that have a business. But even then you are not likely to get much.

Probably search around the for companies that are looking to promote racing. Look at those companies that are sponsoring the races you want to Compete in. Example putbull looks like they are willing sponsors and I only did a quick search. All in all I wouldn't expect much and as others have said plan on paying 100% of the cost.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts